Confused about GOG

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Confused about GOG

Post by Searry »

When I buy stuff from the GOG sale and go to multiplayer I don't have to type a key. Does this mean if I buy from GOG I am saved from all the key hassle in the future? Keys are such an archaic system.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Confused about GOG

Post by zakblood »

gog works the same as steam and embeds the key into the installer, as far as i know etc

then again once a key is imputed into the site version, it's never asked for again
Searry

Post by Searry »

"site version" What do you mean?
When I download the installer from Matrix or Slitherine I am always asked for a key.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes, to install you need a key, but after that it's not needed, it's the only protection in there, the key etc as once installed, only the system saves it, so upgrading or online etc, it' hardly ever asked for again
Searry

Post by Searry »

Each time I download a patch or re-install a game a key is asked for. How have you skipped this?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i install a admin, the key is always saved into my account registry, when i patch, my system automatically puts the correct password into the line, so all i do is press ok on the serial part
Searry

Post by Searry »

Sounds too scary for me.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

each to there own
Searry

Post by Searry »

Could an employee give an answer for this?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Zak is an official moderator. GoG versions generally do not need the user to enter a key, as stated. Matrix versions updates always find and pre-fill the key and so it does not need to be entered other than on first install.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Also, you cannot use a Matrix/Slitherine update versions in the GoG version of the game.
The GoG versions pf the game are updated by the GoG client.
Searry

Post by Searry »

I downloaded a game without gog galaxy though. Does this mean you will not be uploading possible patches without galaxy?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

sorry i have no knowledge on how GOG managers there patches, but any game on GOG from any part of the group will always have the latest patch provided by the The Slitherine Group
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

If you have purchased the game on GoG store, then all the patches can only be downloaded by GoG client.
The patches you find in the member's account are only for the Slitherine/Matrix stand alone version.
MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MartiusR »

VPaulus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm If you have purchased the game on GoG store, then all the patches can only be downloaded by GoG client.
The patches you find in the member's account are only for the Slitherine/Matrix stand alone version.
This is not true.

Gog patches can be downloaded as well as stand-alone, offline installers from download section on GOG's website.. You don't need to use Galaxy (GOG client) to install them. I've patched so far in this way my Gladius: Relics of War (as well as Sanctus Reach) from GOG and never used Galaxy to do so.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

MartiusR wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:39 am
VPaulus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm If you have purchased the game on GoG store, then all the patches can only be downloaded by GoG client.
This is not true.

Gog patches can be downloaded as well as stand-alone, offline installers from download section on GOG's website.. You don't need to use Galaxy (GOG client) to install them. I've patched so far in this way my Gladius: Relics of War (as well as Sanctus Reach) from GOG and never used Galaxy to do so.
Just a clarification as we seem to be speaking about different things.
What I'm trying to say is that our game patches (downloaded from our member's area), cannot be used in the GoG stand alone version or the Gog client (Galaxy) version.. GoG stand alone version and the Galaxy version are different from the Slitherine/Matrix one.
MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MartiusR »

VPaulus wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 am
MartiusR wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:39 am
This is not true.

Just a clarification as we seem to be speaking about different things.
What I'm trying to say is that our game patches (downloaded from our member's area), cannot be used in the GoG stand alone version or the Gog client (Galaxy) version.. GoG stand alone version and the Galaxy version are different from the Slitherine/Matrix one.
I didn't mention anything about updates on Slitherine's website. I was writing only about GOG and referring only to part about GOG, to be more specific, about this fragment:
"If you have purchased the game on GoG store, then all the patches can only be downloaded by GoG client."

This statement is not true, due to the reason I've explained (possibility to download stand-alone updates - as well as updated installer of the entire game, depending on needs).
Searry

Post by Searry »

You don't need GOG galaxy to download anything.
klimbo12
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by klimbo12 »

Could an employee give an answer for this?

spam junk removed
Last edited by zakblood on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spam junk links removed, email sent and first and last warning
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

An answer for what?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Return to “General Discussion”