Other Re-Writes of Classic Games besides Panzer General

Moderator: Slitherine Core

DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Other Re-Writes of Classic Games besides Panzer General

Post by DJ88 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 am

Slitherine Staff:

The Panzercorps rewrite of Panzergeneral has been a great success. I would like to suggest that Slitherine management consider similar projects for other classic games that need a rewrite. Avalon Hill had many excellent games going back to the 80's that were never made for computers or written on languages that are no longer supported. Allied General is another or other PC Wargame Classics written in OS's no longer supported. Hope to see more rewrite projects in the future by Slitherine.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Other Re-Writes of Classic Games besides Panzer General

Post by TheGrayMouser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 am

Dylan wrote:Slitherine Staff:

The Panzercorps rewrite of Panzergeneral has been a great success. I would like to suggest that Slitherine management consider similar projects for other classic games that need a rewrite. Avalon Hill had many excellent games going back to the 80's that were never made for computers or written on languages that are no longer supported. Allied General is another or other PC Wargame Classics written in OS's no longer supported. Hope to see more rewrite projects in the future by Slitherine.

SSI's Age of Rifles would be top on my list for a remake!

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MrsWargamer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Just taking the opportunity to make the usual comment re Steel Panthers :)

First off we don't call it Steel Panthers and in the process we just discard the entire beaten to death discussion about who owns THAT game's legal rights.

Second off we don't waste any time on Combat Leader. It died, and I am ok leaving it in the grave.

Third, I reeeeeeally only want a modest game at the squad and individual vehicle level that basically was Steel Panthers on day one. I don't require the program deliver the full magnitude of where the program known as Steel Panthers sits today as either World at War 8.something, or Windows Steel Panthers World War 2 or the modern option from SP Camo.

I just want the over all same experience. We can start modest, it's not a crime. It's also not a crime to tell the completists, the elite anal crowd that will demand it possess every single unit from every single nation in every single sector of the entire war, in the initial release, to just shut up and wait for the expansions.

Mostly actually, I want something emulating Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat which to me is the same as recreating the board game Panzerblitz/Leader (which again, is not required to be done by name for obvious legality issues reasons).

With Team Assault I will be able to do individual men and not focus too heavily on vehicles. With Battle Academy, I sort of already have Steel Panthers. But, we don't have a Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat aka PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader echelon game of platoon level action. Panzer Corps is after all battalion level.

I have been recently pondering selling off a lot of old board game wargames (simply no time and I can recreate em on my computer fortunately if I must). But my PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader is not going anywhere simply because I have no replacement. Well I have SP3 Brigade Combat provided I don't mind jumping through a lot of hoops and playing in a virtual PC and accepting the mouse controls suck. Sometimes it is better to just play the board game.

I wouldn't mind adding comment of the old game Wargame Construction Set: Tanks, to the notion of 'wouldn't it be nice to see this lifted out of the past?'. That design was very nice to play as well, and looked a lot like Panzer Leader as well. Graphically pleasing enough for me, and it was hardly what I would call demanding software. I am not sure what would be required to bring it into the modern programming world. It likely would do just fine in the tablet arena.

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 am

First off, Age of Rifles, Erik has stated before that they have tried to get the rights to it and no success.

Second, Matrix John Tiller's (Talonsoft's) Campaign Series is a good platoon level game that is still supported and runs on XP and Win7.

Third, I had Tanks! running with DOSBox on XP with no problems. Both are free downloads if you know where to look.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Ahh, had no idea that they had attempted to obtain AoR... Too bad whatever tampon company that currently "owns" SSI will let it languish in warehouse, along with the Arc of the Covenenant LOL .

I too would love a platoon level gane along the lines of SP 3
Matrix Campaign Series is real good though, considering the amount of content you get .

Tiller is also working on his own Panzer Battles series that is reported to be at the platoon level, although no other info curerntly is out there....

kme37158
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kme37158 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Somew old Spectrum Games "Desert Rats and Arnhem". Fun to play. There was also another game " Gallipoli" Plenty or ears that never get a look in. Oh another can't remember the name but it was a British Colonial game v Zulus.

anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille » Thu May 31, 2012 8:37 am

What about Civil War Generals 2? There's nothing like it since 1997.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Historyline: 1914-1918 is one my favorites. I would love to see a remake.

Mockingbird
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Mockingbird » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I'd also like to see something very similar to Steel Panthers running again and since I pretty much use the iPad for gaming these days it would be a plus to have it on it. Battle Academy is my fix for Steel Panthers and if it were able to generate random battles and have a similiar campaign mode it would almost be the perfect replacement for me.

captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 am

Like some of the players in this forum, I started playing Avalon Hills "boardgames" such as Squad Leader and Third Reich. Is there any possibility of these games being made into a PC format? :D

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am

Unfortunately the IP is all owned by giant publishers who don't know what the games are about but have no interest in making games based on them but also no interest in selling any of their IP.

Return to “General Discussion”