windows 10 shuts down every 10-20 minutes when unattended.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

tolsdorff
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

windows 10 shuts down every 10-20 minutes when unattended.

Post by tolsdorff »

Hello All,

A couple of months ago, close to a year, my hard-drive crashed and I got a new SSD-drive. Since then I have an issue that my laptop shuts down when nothing happens after 10-20 minutes. It doesn't happen when I have a video playing. For instance, youtube on continuous play,

I don't really care about it much. I'ts annoying sometimes, I tried a lot of things, but nothing helps. My sleep mode is off, the screensaver is off. All energy management settings are so that it will do nothing. Nevertheless, the OS will force itself into screensaver mode after 2-3 minutes. After which it won't take long before the laptop will shut down, most of the times, but not all of the times. It's annoying, but that's all. I can live with it.

So, I am playing a server-game of War in the East. . I open the turn. Take a look at it. I might get some coffee, or someone calls, and a lot of the time, If a video is not playing in the background, my laptop shuts itself off and I have to restart the game. Again, I think it is annoying,but ok I can live with it.
Mostly before any action I move the reinforcements to the front, check airgroups for morale, etc. etc. then IRL and it just surprises me time and again and I have to redo the turn again. Sigh..
I never had any benefit from it. On the contrary. I will get tilted and make unnecessary errors.

But now I got a message from customer support that I repeatedly log in to the server for the same turn and my account could get suspended, because it appears that I am reloading the turn consistently. Well. That's true, but not for getting advantages.
I am unsure what I should do, I tried fiddling with all settings, but nothing helps. It's embarrassing.

A couple of weeks ago my fiddling to find a solution resulted in reloading the turn 10+ times, hence probably the warning. Normally though, I have to restart the game every other turn or so.

Is there a solution to this? I mean, what setting should be on/off in windows 10, which will prevent the screensaver from starting and the laptop from shutting of? I've tried every setting, but it must be overlooking something.

I tried looking for technical support but couldn't find it on this forum.

Anyway all help is appreciated

Regards
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: windows 10 shuts down every 10-20 minutes when unattende

Post by zakblood »

welcome to the forum, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=909
windows 10 by defaults disables a few things
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
so sometimes some games need them, some do some don't, but enabling them makes more backwards compatible with all
2.jpg
2.jpg (193.42 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
as all games come with a different set of pre requisites, it's always best to install them each and every game, even if you already have that day, as it doesn't hurt and also doesn't take up any space if you install in 20 times, as it only over writes

now the common things on a 64bit version of windows is to install them both, the 32bit first and then the 64bit version if it comes with the app or game etc
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

as you have a laptop,
hdd power 0.jpg
hdd power 0.jpg (186.45 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
always run off power eg mains and alter the power saving to suit for power and no screen savers, or power offs etc and turn off sleep mode for everything :wink:

power max.jpg
power max.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
yes it may burn a few more tree's, but we have a ferrari then use a mini engine in it
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

and finally, personal preferences
default apps.jpg
default apps.jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
game bar.jpg
game bar.jpg (185.52 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
media player win 10.jpg
media player win 10.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
again, add media player even if you don't use it, as some games need the codec from it, so without it installed, some older games find it hard to play video or music etc
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

and finally always check to make sure all your drivers are fully windows 10 compatible
realtec.jpg
realtec.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
as while windows does a good job, not as good as a manual search.

a clean install is always better than a upgraded from previous version of windows, 7 / 8 etc, not older windows 10 ones
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

@zakblood. :D

So far, my laptop isn't shutting itself down anymore. so thanks not only for your very extensive reply, but also for solving the problem!

It matters not so much anymore, but I suspect it were the advanced settings that were overriding everything else, as most of the other settings were already 'correct'.

Anyway, Thank you very much! Much appreciated.
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

:( it worked for a couple of hours, but I am back at square one.

Every setting on the laptop regarding screensaver, energy management etc is off. all recommendations that you made, which seem to do the trick yesterday, were implemented. Yet after a couple of hours of bliss, since this morning, the laptop again persists on giving a black screen after 5 minutes and shutting down after 10. It's just ridiculous.

The hard drive that crashed was win 8.1, converted to win 10. No problems there. The new SDD drive is a clean new win 10 install.

I was already around and aware since 3.11. Seriously, MS managed to make every version more irritating in some way.

I used to be young and energetic enough to track down what the issue was. I am still very energetic but just refuse to spend a weekend tracking down the problem here.

Can my WitE account be suspended , if my laptop restarts too many times? If not, I'll just carry on as I have been for the last couple of monts.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i'll send a message to support and ask what to do next for you, good luck
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

Thanks.

It might be some BIOS setting. I have dabbled in that before.
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

BIOS cannot be started. Should be F2 on an Asus 550, but that doesn't work. Must be the SSD.

Anyway. I just got news that my account is suspended for the time being. So sad but true.

After finishing the winter offensive, with the only result of whittling down the german morale somewhat, my opponent will probably obliterate me in 1942. Glad I could finish the winter at least.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

don't worry support will sort out the account issue, the laptop one is another thing altogether.

BISO

Code: Select all

https://www.asus.com/ph/support/FAQ/1008829/
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Regarding these and account issues you have to contact support[at]slitherine.co.uk.
tolsdorff

Post by tolsdorff »

In the mean time I have. thank you
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

your welcome and good luck with the laptop and game