Commander: The Great War in the making - Dev Diary Episode 3

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.
Post Reply
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:20 pm
Contact:

Commander: The Great War in the making - Dev Diary Episode 3

Post by lordzimoa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Image

Each month, we will release a preview focusing on a few factions present in the game. These will feature some historical background, their role in the war and in the game, and a number of units essential to these factions. These previews are meant to give a deeper insight into the game's mechanics, and advise those who know little about the First World War about the major events and their objectives in the war. Go here for more info:

Welcome to the third developer diary for Commander The Great War. In the first preview we focused on the two major Central Powers, Germany and Austria. In the second preview we looked at France and Belgium. Now it's the turn of Great Britain and The United States.

A direct link is here:

http://www.slitherine.com/ctgw_dd_3_1

syagrius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Post by syagrius » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm

These are great and very informative, good job. Next one will cover the Ottomans and will be also very interesting in my opinion. Are you going to cover Italy and Bulgarians/Romanians in other dev reports?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by adherbal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Balkan & Italian front is planned, as is a focus on Russia. Some other ideas for (final) previews are combat & tactics and AI. Depends a bit on how many we can still do before the game is ready :)

syagrius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Post by syagrius » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Awesome, this baby is on my 2011 buy list for sure :D

pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Munich/Germany

Ottoman Empire!

Post by pomakli » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:56 am

Pls. don't forget the Caucasus and Galicia fronts!

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by adherbal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Working on it ;)

Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 am

Post by Surtur » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Really waiting for this one!

Still on track? release for early 2011?

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by lordzimoa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 am

We just finished a big Alpha build yesterday, still a lot of things to do, fix or polish, but the core of the game and engine is done and really looks cool and plays well, impressive AI behaviour... On the media side we have 90% of the work done, but we will take our time and only release a stable, highly polished and good game. Our aim is end Q1 2011, if it takes a bit longer, the better for the end product, so yes more or less on schedule.

When developing games the first 90% of a game takes the first 90% of your time, the last 10% the other 90%... :-)

scarfacetarraff
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: USA

Post by scarfacetarraff » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:45 pm

lordzimoa wrote:We just finished a big Alpha build yesterday, still a lot of things to do, fix or polish, but the core of the game and engine is done and really looks cool and plays well, impressive AI behaviour... On the media side we have 90% of the work done, but we will take our time and only release a stable, highly polished and good game. Our aim is end Q1 2011, if it takes a bit longer, the better for the end product, so yes more or less on schedule.

When developing games the first 90% of a game takes the first 90% of your time, the last 10% the other 90%... :-)
Great news! Mac version to follow, maybe Q2, 2011?
"Hasta la victoria siempre!"
Legion (Mac/iPad), Spartan (Mac), GoT (Mac), Legion Arena (Mac), CEaW (Mac/DS), CNaW (Mac), HGE: Rome (DS), Egypt: EaE (iPad), FoG (Mac), Battle Academy (Mac/iPad), Unity of Command (Mac), CTGW (iPad)

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by adherbal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Mac version should follow a few months after PC release.

Hammer4000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 am
Location: Ohio,USA

Post by Hammer4000 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Now ever since C-EAW came out i was hooked, after the latest patches and a few mods, the game went from Great to Bad-A**. But it all came down to one thing, and i really hate to put down aspects of a game but its the AI. I dont expect them to be like a Human Opponet. Like Africa problem. Then C-NAW came out, as cool as it was doing a Nap.Era warfare the AI sucked, bigtime. I mean i could crush all powers by 1808-09.(A cake walk in Russa) I mean its sad that i have to mod the main files to (at least) try to give me a challenge. & sad that the creators of the game couldent increase the tatical side. I even looked at the Gerneral.txt file in C-NAW, then opened C-EAW, and to me look like someone copyed & pasted the info with like 4 real changes. I mean the file had oil info,Axis aggression for 1939 & this is for C-NAW. The 2nd title seemed to be rushed really, and a real disappointment for me. Oh man i hate to complain you guys.

ANYWAY- after C-NAW, and me turning my head, what will make this title differnt, will i see the same stuff in a gerneral.txt file like the others, I read about the secondary fronts someone posted on here, they to sounded like they were angery at the AI. BUT its all comes down to this guys. Say i play the Germans, i just hope i dont capture Paris or Moscow at some stupid time frame, like 1/2way through 1915 or something. I will buy this, but this tilte will be a make or break for me. At the momment i have the Guns of August game, now that is how a WW1 is.

Hope the best from you guys, cant wait for it to come out,Your addicting style of game play is all ways a fav of mine, I just hope this title is not rushed, as i felt C-NAW was.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by adherbal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:33 pm

We (the Lordz) were not involved in design of CEAW or CNAW, but I do know the AI was a problem. It seems to act mostly on global conditions like "warsaw captured > attack france", "paris captured > attack russia", without much concern over what happens elsewhere.

CTGW is a brand new engine. A brand new AI. It is being designed to act upon enemy actions, not preset conditions. We're pretty well aware that AI can make or break a strategy game. It's bloody hard to convert human decision-making into code, but on the bright sight once we have this AI in place it should work for any theme, be it WW1, WW2, Napoleonic, ...

Like I already said we do plan to focus on AI in (one of) the final preview(s).

Hammer4000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 am
Location: Ohio,USA

Post by Hammer4000 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 pm

That would be something to put human actions, like you said into code. CTGW looks like its gonna be great,
A brand new AI. It is being designed to act upon enemy actions, not preset conditions.

Now i like that, for the AI to, in a sense interpret your actions, not just act on impuse haha.

I'm really excited to get my hands on this one, like many others,hope the best for your team,& that there no dead ends ahead.

THNXS for the feedback-adherbal

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by adherbal » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:00 am

Just so y'all know, the next preview will probably be moved to Januari. It's nearly finished but the Holidays aren't the best period to release things like this.

Post Reply

Return to “Commander - The Great War”