Complexity question.

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

stormbringer3
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Complexity question.

Post by stormbringer3 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I haven't played a Commander game before. I really like Panzer Corps but I hope that this title will be higher up on the complexity ladder or have options to increase the complexity level.
Thanks for any opinions.

conger
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Complexity question.

Post by conger » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I've played the other two games and they are slightly more demanding, then PC. The mechanics are quite similar, but there are a few differences. You have to worry about man power, money, national morale, and ammo (for the big guns) along with declaring war on your neighbors. Outside of that; you've more units to husband and more planing to do. I hope that answers your question.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 am

Didn't play any commander game either so far, but I'm interested in this one for various reasons (WWI topic, good experiences with Lordz' PzC etc).

What I'm wondering is: the map seems to be quite large, representing (I guess) the whole of Europe and even more. Do you command the indvidual units here like in Panzer Corps, or can you also compose bigger formations, like corps or armies consisting of several units?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 am

From a gameplay POV it's fairly similar, each hex can contain 1 unit max which you control individually. But those units generally represent bigger formations. For example there is only one "Amour" unit type that represents an Infantry army reinforced with tanks. When research unlocks better tank technologies, that Armour unit becomes stronger and it's icon changes rather than having several tank types like in PzC (PzI, PzII, PzIII, ...).

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:43 am

I see, thank you :)

Aloo

Post by Aloo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 am

Is there any smaller campaing? I have to say that playing for the first time Im a bit overwhelmed by the huge map and gaining more and more countries under my control. It would be great if there would be a smaller tutorial map to learn the basics before going for all of europe.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 am

Alas, no. A big part of the "grand strategy" is to decide what to do on each front (defend, retreat, attack) and dividing tactics, reinforcements & upgrades accordingly. It wouldn't really work in a small, single front theatre.

The Allies are probably easiest to start with cos generally you can rely more on defending, while the Central Powers must use their initial advantage to push the enemy as hard as they can.

Good luck! :)

Aloo

Post by Aloo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 am

I understand the concept of grand strategy - thanks :) The problem is learning the mechanics how units, movement, combat predictions, generals, technology and production works before going for the whole package. Most games with huge maps have some tutorial smaller maps to learn the mechanics. Once you get how stuff works you can play the big game.

I guess Ill just learn by mistakes and restart a few times.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

We tried slowing down the first turns as much as possible, but WW1 gets big on all fronts rather fast. Unlike WW2 where its a more gradual process: Poland > France > Russia > East & West.

A small tutorial campaign would've been an option, but it would've been mostly fictional and explaining only the mechanics - not the way to apply them in the ACTUAL campaign.

Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

I guess Ill just learn by mistakes and restart a few times.
That's the best way to go. Also, start on the lowest difficulty level to give yourself some breathing space.

majpalmer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by majpalmer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Regarding a "shorter" campaign, the 1918 campaign obviously doesn't last as long and the Russian front is gone. So the scope is not quite as large, and the number of turns is substantially less.

avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by avoran » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:33 am

Short, yes, but VERY messy! :)
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester

danijocker90

Post by danijocker90 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 am

Also, start on the lowest difficulty level to give yourself some breathing space.
I have played a few times with AI Handicapped and i have to say that is more aggressive and hard to beat than Balanced.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”