Commander - The Great War Now Available!

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

ScottP
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Commander - The Great War Now Available!

Post by ScottP »

Commander – The Great War Now Available!
You are hereby ordered to the Front!

We are excited to announce, along with Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com), and The Lordz Games Studio (www.thelordzgamesstudio.com), the release of an outstanding new World War I grand strategy game: Commander – The Great War, the latest in the Commander series!

Players can now assume command of the Entente or Central Powers from the start of the war in 1914 to its conclusion in five grand campaigns on a huge hex campaign map that stretches from western USA to Africa and Arabia in the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east. Players can encounter more than 40 unique historical and what-if events triggered by their actions on the campaign map, which offers near limitless replay value. Attach historical commanders to exploit their unique strengths (and avoiding their weaknesses), research and develop technology to gain an advantage against your enemies with superior technology such as airships, bombers and machine guns. Command 18 different types of unit types on the battlefield in your struggle to gain victory or stave off defeat. Players can also take the fight online against human opponents on Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ system for easy matchmaking and setup.

Commander – The Great War features easy to learn, hard to master game play that is perfect for newcomers and experienced wargamers. The new engine has been developed from the ground up to support higher resolutions and widescreen monitors. Modders can take delight in utilizing the LUA scripting language to alter many aspects of the game from combat, research, terrain effects and more.

Along with the release of Commander – The Great War, a new features trailer has also been released and can be viewed on the Slitherine and Matrix Games YouTube channels. Subscribe to these channels to get the latest in gameplay videos, trailers, and more!

For more information on Commander – The Great War, visit the official product page on the Slitherine or Matrix Games website.

Public Relations Manager
Slitherine/Matrix Games
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Commander - The Great War Now Available!

Post by MrsWargamer »

A definitely congrats to my fav publisher and the devs that provide the games that appear here :)

My capapcity to lay out the funds right now is shall we say beaten to a pulp :) but I'd like to think of myself adding this title in time.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Hi, is there a demo ?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

No we don't have any plans right now for a demo.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

This is a very nicely designed game on first impressions - the map is excellent and the sound effects are very atmospheric. With the centenary of the war approaching I was hoping that there would be a game or two out there to really take me into the subject.

Micha, if you read the AAR's for this game in the forum then they will give you a very good idea of the game. It is very easy to start playing - obviously getting the strategy right is a lot harder! :wink:
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

IainMcNeil wrote:No we don't have any plans right now for a demo.
I hope criticim is not a crime so let me say this is not to understand.
I purchased a great ww1 game a few weeks before from another gamecompany and the demo was not a problem,
Why this is a problem for Commander the great war ?
Sorry , but i will never purchase the Cat in the box.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Main reason is this is a new game and brand new engine, doing a good demo for a grand strategy game is difficult and takes time, the last thing you want as a developer is screw this up as we know a lot can depend on it.

I know legio of bad demo`s done for excellent games... we simply did not have the time for it yet, finishing Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht and Afrika, Commander: The Great War, Conquest, Sovereignty, 3 other unannounced game projects.
Porting projects, art projects and above all support, patch, improve, update all our ongoing games, just has priority.

Besides we have trusted wargaming veterans in this community, very well and honest testers, AAR writers, good wargaming journalists, screenshots, movies, forums, critical customers, grognard wargamers, that is our core customer and public, they will bitch and moan when it is a crap game and also tell you if it is a good game. We trust this community to be adult enough to give a solid and honest judgement.

That said, there will probably a demo at one time, but at the moment our agenda would only allow it if we drop any of the above and that is not worth it at the moment. Reason why demo`s are also better done later, when you can do them properly...
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

First at all, i have no doubts that it is a great game. But the problem is everything is a matter of taste.
Bethoven and Mozart made great musik but i would never purchase a cd of them because i do not like this music .
All screenshoots, articles in magazines, oppinions of other players says nothing about is this a game i like or not.
I purchased "Field of Glory " without a demo and i got lucky, i love it for long time, fun, fun, fun.
But i made a painful experience with panzercorps.
The press wrote many good articles, it has a huge fancomunity and so i purchased it .
After a few weeks i stoped it because the gameplay was (personally for me ) a dissapointment.
So i wasted a lot of money. Is it really so hard to dissable a few funktions to make playable only 1 or 2 scenarios ?
I"m not a programmer but i dont belive it.
However, maybe in the future a demo will come and i will wait for it.
Best regards.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Is it really so hard to dissable a few funktions to make playable only 1 or 2 scenarios ?
Here you pinpoint the whole problem, this is no a few scenario`s game, you basically play a grand strategy map and the game has to offer all functionality.

So eg. we could offer the 1914 grand campaign and allow let`s say 12 turns of play and than it blocks and you get a choice to buy the game and continue...

That would work well and I`me sure many would like the game by than and would be eager to buy it, but... we have to offer all content if we do that, a simple hacker unlocks all and voila... before we know it, the game is cracked as a free download.

So instead of the usual 50% loss in sales we know we loose by piracy it will be 80%...

So we need to offer down ideal a trimmed version and with the whole grand strategy design, that is tricky as you offer less than the game is capable off.

We will find a solution though and are already brainstorming... but it has to offer the whole game experience and be safe enough. So it is not that obvious, for a shooter or scenario based RTS it is easier, but we for sure give it a try when we have some more time.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

OK, thank you.
adarkin
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by adarkin »

I have waited a year for this game ever since I saw it as a new game in development at Salute 2011.I can tell you it has been well worth the wait. I bought it on download the day it came out and have played it every day since,trying to learn the strategies and the history of that terrible conflict.Thankyou for creating another great game which challenges me, educates me and makes want to go back day after day to try to win.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Thanks adarkin, it's a pleasure :)
Dedalus44

Post by Dedalus44 »

Hi everyone....i'm an italian boy and i'm a fan of Commander Europe at War. Now i'd like to play to Commander Great War....but i didn't find the game in Italy.There will be an italian version? How can i find this promising game? Someone can help me? Thanks and sorry for my english!
Jonathan_Pollard
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Jonathan_Pollard »

The latest patch includes an Italian version.
"We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba" "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington" - US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Operation Northwoods, 1962
Dedalus44

Post by Dedalus44 »

Oh wonderful....where can i buy this patch?
Brenmusik
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Brenmusik »

The patch is free. Go to the shop site and look for "Downloads"
Dedalus44

Post by Dedalus44 »

Thanks a lot! But my problem is that i have not the game yet, because in Italy there's no way to buy the game in the game shops! When will arrive Commander the Great War in Italy?
Where i can buy the game?(after i will download the italian patch, thanks!)
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

It is available as a Digital Download and the game is available in Italian after you patch it to 1.30, if you also decide you want it in box, you can choose to buy the game, download and play it and a box with the game on a personalized dvd and a printed colour manual will be sent to your address.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/ctgw_pc

Note the all text in game is available in Italian, but both the manual PDF and the printed manual are only available in English.

There are no retail plans for Italy at this point.
Dedalus44

Post by Dedalus44 »

Thanks a lot!!
Cortes

Post by Cortes »

I have a question. If I download the game, can I install it in my desktop and in my laptop, or can I only install it in one of them?

Return to “Commander - The Great War”