Advice - Use of Submarines

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Advice - Use of Submarines

Post by massina_nz »

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the use of submarines. In the the early war they seem somewhat pathetic. I've even seen a Battleship run into them when they were hidden, and the sub suffered 5 hits to none. I'm used to seeing the reverse happen in CEAW. And advice would be useful.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Advice - Use of Submarines

Post by Myrddraal »

Subs aren't particularly powerful, their advantage lies in stealth. Subs can't be attacked unless they attack first (unless you have the misfortune of an enemy unit moving to the same hex), so try to pick on isolated convoys. Don't use the to take on the enemy navy directly. In particular, avoid taking on the enemy navy within four hexes of one of their home ports. In this area they will get a significant bonus.
massina_nz

Re: Advice - Use of Submarines

Post by massina_nz »

Myrddraal wrote:Subs aren't particularly powerful, their advantage lies in stealth. Subs can't be attacked unless they attack first (unless you have the misfortune of an enemy unit moving to the same hex), so try to pick on isolated convoys. Don't use the to take on the enemy navy directly. In particular, avoid taking on the enemy navy within four hexes of one of their home ports. In this area they will get a significant bonus.
Excellent advice, thnaks, I know what I was doing wrong. The enmy ship landed on my Hex within close range of a home port, that explains why I was walloped.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”