Entente Victory and the Ottoman Empire

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

majpalmer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Entente Victory and the Ottoman Empire

Post by majpalmer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

As I read the chart, the Entente does not gain a victory "star" for knocking out the Ottoman Empire. Nor do the Central Powers gain a point for keeping the Ottomans in the war. This seems a bit odd, at least to me.

Gamewise, there is little point for the Entente player to spend resources to take out the Ottomans. Why bother? Why not simply hold the Suez Canal line and send those units instead to Italy or the Balkans? There are 35 Ottoman production points, assuming you capture the entire place, but how many of them will you actually recover?

From the point of view of the Central Powers player, why care if the Ottomans collapse? You can always hold the Entente at the Straits.

Am I missing something?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Entente Victory and the Ottoman Empire

Post by adherbal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm

If a nation surrenders it affects the morale of its allies, bringing them closer to surrender. In addition, knocking it out will free whatever units that were involved on that front to fight elsewere. Where and when to attack or defend is one of the key strategic decisions.

In addition the game won't end until all enemies are defeated OR 1919 is reached. So you'll have to deal with them sooner or later. In what order is up to you.

Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

You're right, there should probably be a star for the Ottomans.

The factors that should make you care at the moment are strategic rather than victory point related.

All nations within an alliance suffer a morale penalty if an ally surrenders. This is a motivation when playing as either side - either to keep your morale high or to bring your enemies to surrender.

When playing as the CP, the Ottomans can be used for two very effective means: Combined with an 'East First' strategy, putting pressure on the Russians in the Caucasus can stretch them to breaking point. It's quite difficult to have an impact on British national morale, as their homeland is generally secure. Taking Egypt from them is one way you can do that.

When playing as the Entente, the factors are pretty much mirrors of the above. If you don't put pressure on the Ottomans, you free them up to attack the Russians, who are much more vulnerable.

avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by avoran » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:36 pm

If you add a star for the Ottomans there needs to be a balancing star on the Entente side - for Italy, maybe?
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester

danijocker90
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by danijocker90 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Hehehe I was near to capture the site, eh avoran? imagine if i win a star x)

avoran

Post by avoran » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 am

:)
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester

Return to “Commander - The Great War”