Tactics Switch

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

majpalmer
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Tactics Switch

Post by majpalmer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:46 am

The usual tactic I use in games with strength point reduction is to do my best to destroy totally units so they cannot be replaced and instead have to be rebuilt. During my first few attempts at CGW that was the tactic I employed, without great success. It often led me to advance some of my own units too far ahead where they were hammered from all sides by the enemy's remaining full strength units.

Then I worked out the numbers. Replacement points cost the same as new unit points, at least in terms of production. Why not simply attack wherever the odds were good, focusing on any garrison units in the enemy line? Not in a focused effort to eliminate one unit, but to weaken several and unhinge his line.

I started a new game and instead of focusing on the destruction of one unit, I started working several over when I went on the offensive. I let the weakened units retreat and avoided advancing too far ahead of my own line.

This tactic seems to work better. On subsequent turns the weakened units are easier pickings because, generally, their efficiency drops to yellow, or sometimes red. The AI also usually tries to withdraw the weakened units, to get them out of contact, meaning that they either cannot replace lost points or they replace fewer. And when the AI withdraws, it is less likely to counterattack, and also will sometimes, especially in Russia, pull out of entrenched positions to cover the units pulling back. Also, the AI will feed replacements into the weakened units. On subsequent turns you keep hammering the yellowed units inflicting much heavier casualties, and suffering fewer yourself.

Seems to be working better, at least for me.

kevini1000
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Tactics Switch

Post by kevini1000 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I had mentioned earlier about that actually sometimes in terms of mp and pp replacements are even more expensive. I will even disband a unit that is very weak instead of paying for replacements.

majpalmer

Post by majpalmer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Noted! Thanks. There are many subtleties to this game.

stormbringer3
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by stormbringer3 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:24 am

majpalmer,
Your tactics idea was a great help to me. Playing as the Central Powers I was focused on destroyng units and just getting my clock cleaned every time. I my new Campaign focusing on damaging units, I'm doing the best I have done yet!
Thanks.

Umeu

Post by Umeu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 pm

when holding a line this tactic is fine, but if you want to make progress its not really. the best thing to make progress by taking hexes is to have 2 cannon fire at a unit in the same turn (or a cannon and bomber plane), and you can make this more efficient in the early stages by having a fighter plane disrubt the enemy efficiency and then attack that weakened unit with 2 or 3 infantry units. you will keep pushing the enemy back. best is to do this at the flanks so that you can envelop the enemy because if you do this in the middle you are more likely to be enveloped by the enemy instead.
Check out Project: IMBA, the balance mod for the multiplayer section of Commander: the Great War. Your input is appreciated! viewtopic.php?f=218&t=39677

Return to “Commander - The Great War”