French proofreading and in game testing help needed.

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

French proofreading and in game testing help needed.

Post by lordzimoa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am

Hi guys,

With a huge, huge thanks to Anguille on helping with a French translation of Commander: The Great War.

We still need some help with proofreading and in game testing. So please if there are volunteers, we could use some help.

There are a few things that still needs to be done:

- The city names are still in English
- We have some translations who don`t fit our UI buttons or tabs, so we should find alternative words or proper abbreviations of the French words, so they fit in all UI.
- Proofread
-Test for crashes.

If you want to have a look, see this folder (by default):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Commander The Great War\Data\Lang

- Back-up the english text file first and copy it to your desktop, just in case!
- Rename your english to something like english_backup.
- Rename the french text to english and make sure it is in that Data\Lang folder.
- Restart your game, all should be in French now.

To return to your English, just delete the french, rename your english_backup to english, make sure it is again in the Data\Lang folder and restart your game.

If you have problems just report here.

Any changes please post them here than I will put them in the text myself and keep it all tidy.

Thanks,

Tim
Attachments
CTGW French.zip
(61.43 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

moet
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: French proofreading and in game testing help needed.

Post by moet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Tim. I will make a try on this, starting next week.
I already rebuilt the CEAW Grand Strategy's French translation, so I' m a familiar with the process.
I will pick up any suggestions, though, from the players and try to correct any error brought here. :)

anguille
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by anguille » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi Moet,

When do you plan to start? I will work on a new version till then.

Cheers

moet

Post by moet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Je peux commencer mercredi, mais je peux facilement attendre quelques jours (ou plus) jusqu'à ce que tu aies terminé ton travail. :)

anguille

Post by anguille » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 pm

moet wrote:Je peux commencer mercredi, mais je peux facilement attendre quelques jours (ou plus) jusqu'à ce que tu aies terminé ton travail. :)
J'ai fait le gros. Je viens de commencer à tester le texte dans le jeu et je fais désormais les corrections qui me sautent aux yeux. Il faut surtout une relecture de mon français "suisse" et voir si je n'ai pas fait de grosses bêtises, surtout dans les termes techniques. Après environ 2 mois de travail sur ce texte, je n'arrive plus à voir grand chose! Mercredi serait super je pense, faut voir avec Tim.

moet

Post by moet » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Délai déjà accepté par Tim. De mon côté, je dois faire attention à ne pas introduire trop de québécois dans ce qui doit rester un français naturel pour la masse des euro-francophones. :)

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am

Merci beaucoup pour l`offre de participer et d`aider avec la traduction en français, je vous remercie d'avance Anguile et Moet!

Arnaulds
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Arnaulds » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi,

I was beta tester for CCtGW.

I am a French French (not from Swiss or Canada)

I can help you for proofreading if you want.

(btw, there will be an analys of this great game in the next issue of French magazine Vae Victis !)

moet

Post by moet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi and thanks for your help.
I'm correcting now the French texts and some parts must be amended, specially the wordings of the user interface. I surely will need some help to verify all the technology developments, very interesting indeed but giving me a hard time! :)
I will send you a PM when I'm finished.

anguille

Post by anguille » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:51 pm

moet wrote:Hi and thanks for your help.
I'm correcting now the French texts and some parts must be amended, specially the wordings of the user interface. I surely will need some help to verify all the technology developments, very interesting indeed but giving me a hard time! :)
I will send you a PM when I'm finished.
i did some changes to the wordings of the user interface in order to make it fit.

indeed, the tech dev was the most difficult to translate.

Cheers

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi guys,

We really need to do a new patch build this week, so let me know if you guys can finish this asap please, if not sadly French localization will have to be moved a few months ahead....

Just let me know.

Cheers,

Tim

anguille

Post by anguille » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

imho, my version is good enough to play with (this is what i am doing now). If Moet can make mostly proofreading and correct my main mistakes now, we should be able to place this version in the game. If he wants to improve further the document, we could add a newer version in the next built then when there's a new patch next time. My 2 cents.

Cheers

moet

Post by moet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Tim and Anguille.
It is true that the game can be played as is, because it seems to be no bug in it. But... IMO the French version has big problems that require interventions. I truly see and appreciate the immense work you did, Anguille, but I see too that there is still work to be done.
Here is what I suggest :
- I stop now the correction of the French texts. Note that I corrected about the third of the txt file (half of it are small corrections, other half are a rebuild of the wordings and UI terminology).
- I put what I corrected in the master txt file and check it on the screen (I need 2 days maximum to do this, so it would be available on Thursday morning).
Then the French version would appear more suitable to French player, specially the user interface. The parts of the text that will remain not corrected are the more narrative ones : briefings, people biographies, tutorial advices and technology evolution).
What do you think, Tim ?

anguille

Post by anguille » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 pm

This is exactely what i am suggesting. Your improvements to the text till now would be intgrated now and your next version can be included in the next patch.

Not sure what you mean by big problerms though.

Cheers

moet

Post by moet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Je dirais qu'en général le français colle de trop près à l'anglais (ex. : "Longueur de mot de passe trop grande" plutôt que "Mot de passe trop long") et que, par conséquent, la formulation française est souvent longue. Il y a aussi différents problèmes de terminologie (ex. : "Terrain rugueux" plutôt que "Terrain difficile" ou "Terrain accidenté") et la réalité de l'interface est trop peu prise en compte (ex.: "Rejoindre un jeu" plutôt que simplement "Accepter").
De toute façon, je fournirai un fichier Word montrant toutes les interventions que j'aurai faites dans le fichier. Ce sera alors possible de discuter de mes choix et d'apporter des correctifs le cas échéant. :)

anguille

Post by anguille » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 pm

critiques pertinentes que je partage. Je n'etais en effet pas arrive a cette phase de correction/reformulation. Je voulais d'abord arriver le plus vite a une traduction complete du texte. Je n'ai aucune objection a tes corrections, au contraire. Je n'avais plus de temps a y consacrer.

moet

Post by moet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

C'est effectivement immense comme travail (plus de 25 000 mots ! ) et je juge que tu as fait un bon travail dans l'ensemble, en particulier dans les titres et le libellé des événements (et sûrement dans d'autres parties que je n'ai pas encore relues).
C'est facile pour moi de revisiter le tout une fois qu'il est établi. Je dirais que la moitié de mes interventions visent avant tout à raccourcir le texte ; ce faisant, j'en profite pour donner plus de naturel au français et faire diverses choses fort peu importantes, comme gérer à la baisse l'emploi de la majuscule. :) :)

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 am

Hi guys as long as you guys check the words fit the UI and tabs and as we don`t have real bugs, it is fine to add it to the new patch, it is no problem to do more corrections and text optimizations later and update the whole French document again in a next patch.

But this week we would like to build the new official patch, do some final internal testing than offer it with German, Italian and this first French localization to the players.

So just mail me what you have got and we put it in. We are building Thursday.

Cheers,

Tim

moet

Post by moet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 am

OK Tim, I will send you the txt file Wednesday night. :)

moet

Post by moet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 pm

moet wrote:OK Tim, I will send you the txt file Wednesday night. :)
Done last Wednesday. :-)
Arnaulds wrote:Hi,
I was beta tester for CCtGW.
I am a French French (not from Swiss or Canada)
I can help you for proofreading if you want.
Arnaulds, es-tu toujours intéressé à participer à la correction de la traduction faite par Anguille ?

J'ai fourni à Slitherine à peu près le tiers du travail, surtout la partie correspondant au contenu de l'interface. Tu travaillerais à partir d'un tableau Word montrant l'anglais et le français en vis-à-vis, dans lequel toutes les interventions que j'ai faites sont marquées (fonction "Suivi des modifications" de Word).

Il reste 4 grandes sections à vérifier :
- les "briefings" des scénarios (environ 1800 mots) ;
- les descriptions des technologies (environ 3400 mots) ;
- les messages tutoriaux (environ 2800 mots) ;
- les biographies des commandants (environ 1 600 mots) ;
- divers textes, dont les contextes historiques et les verbatims des présentations vidéo (environ 4200 mots).

Y a t-il une section qui t'intéresse en particulier ?

Note : Attends-toi à plus que de la simple correction. La base de traduction établie par Anguille est valable mais mérite d'être remaniée à plusieurs endroits. Mais nous disposons d'une assez large plage de temps pour faire le travail (d'ici la prochaine mise à jour, qui suivra celle de la semaine prochaine).

Return to “Commander - The Great War”