too much free upkeep in default 1.40?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

avoran
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

too much free upkeep in default 1.40?

Post by avoran » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 am

FreeUpkeep = 60

To me it seems too much, when most of the countries are paying no upkeep costs (or so I found playing the Entente in 1914). OK, maybe the previous level was low, but how about setting it at (say) 30? What does everyone else think?

IMO upkeep is one of those things where CTGW is an improvement over, say, CEAW. It helps to put a realistic limit on army sizes without imposing artificial restrictions.
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester

kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: too much free upkeep in default 1.40?

Post by kirk23 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Having free upkeep as a restriction, on how many units can be on the map,only penalize the larger Countries and I'm thinking Russia here,she has the most manpower,but can't really use the manpower available,to protect her vast borders, she has less units available to do the job,because of a games restriction.The biggest problem with the game was that there are just too few units in play at any one time. There are vast areas of the map that are totally devoid of units, because of the free upkeep restriction.

avoran

Re: too much free upkeep in default 1.40?

Post by avoran » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Maybe that could be fixed by lowering per-unit maintenance costs rather than setting an artificial limit? Or maybe different countries could be given different limits?
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester

Return to “Commander - The Great War”