Current State of the AI

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

LaStarza
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Current State of the AI

Post by LaStarza » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:57 am

I am seriously considering purchasing this game... but first would like to hear some comments about how good the enemy AI is playing single player. Because of my strange work hours and my on and off health situation, I would almost certainly play only single player... no multiplayer. I have read reviews where the reviewers say that the AI is very good... and then I've also read some reviews where it is stated that the AI is very weak. I'm also confused by the fact that the AI has been heavily praised for the game "Order of Battle: Pacific" and it has been stated on the forum for that game that the same person who programmed the AI for that game also programmed the AI for this game... and the AI for this game has been praised in a thread on the forum for that game. And I also read a lot of gamers' comments that, for the most part, say that the AI for Commander - The Great War is weak. So I'm confused and, I guess, looking for some fresh comments.

I really want this game to be good because I have a strong interest in World War One games. If anyone wants to also comment on other WW1 games available, that would be appreciated too. I'm not interested in the Strategic Command version from Battlefront since I've played that demo on several different occasions and, for some reason, I just don't like it. I'm curious about Guns of August 1914-1918, for example. How does it compare? But I'm mostly interested in the state of the competency of the AI for this game (Commander - The Great War) because it seems to look the most appealing and/or most accessible to me.

Thank you in advance for any comments!

Mark

Egge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Current State of the AI

Post by Egge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:24 pm

In my opinion the AI is pretty good as long as the front remains static. As long as there are no holes in it, you can expect stiff resistance. However, when it comes to Maneuver warfare, there are some deficiencies. The AI is bad at preventing encirclement, which are very deadly in this game. It simply lacks the ability to protect its flanks.
For instance, you can easily cut off the invading German armies in Belgium by pushing up north from Verdun and recapturing Brussels. Likewise, you can usually pocket the Russian armies in Poland by a pincer movement from East Prussia and Galicia. Such encirclements will tremendously weaken your opponent. On the other hand, the AI isn't any worse at handling Maneuver warfare than others I've seen. The AI of Unity of Command may be very good, even when it comes to maneuvering, but the scope of that game is much, much smaller.

Overall, I think it's a very good game and worth buying. Personally, I don't like multiplayer because the game is somewhat imbalanced (which is historically correct). The Entente is much stronger than the Central Powers and in a PVP game will beat them easily. Other than that, there are only minor issues. Some research fields, like naval research, aren't useful in this game because the British naval superiority is so overwhelming that you cannot possibly hope to challenge the Royal Navy no matter what. Moreover, the British AI focuses too much on Egypt for my liking which means that Germany can usually beat France without too much trouble while the Ottoman Empire will be very hard pressed, even against the AI.

It is indeed pretty accessible, there are no millions of completely pointless submenus like the ones you have to endure in War in the East, but all the things you can do in this game are usually worth doing at some point over the course of the game. WW1 just doesn't receive that much attention and I like this game a lot more than others.

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Much of what the previous poster said is true, however the game has morphed quite a bit since it was first released. Very rarely now does one hear about CTD bugs, which was common-place in earlier versions. There is another substantial CTGW patch on the way, with huge changes, improvements, along with added stuff. Usually with these newer versions the AI is altered, for the Dev's do read the member's comments and try to make adjustments to the AI, and like the previous poster: I have not seen a "perfect AI" yet in any game. I notice the experienced Grogs from other games of more complexity have an easier GO at it in the SP, but seldom do they jump into MP without getting familiar with the game first. I agree that the game is not overly complicated, however there is always something to learn. I thought I knew the game very well in SP to where the fun was getting thin, as a result went MP for the first time, and got "blown away" with the action, consequently MP is all I play now, just plain flat out love it...

PS: Can't help but notice CTGW is on sale ($10.00 off) right now $19.99 DL or $29.99 Boxed.

LaStarza

Post by LaStarza » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 am

Thanks guys for the comments! I decided to go ahead and purchase the game based on your thoughts and the fact that it is on sale right now, as operating pointed out (thank you for that, as I was not aware that it was on sale)! I haven't really dived in yet, but like what I see so far. I'm looking forward to finding out what the upcoming big update is going to include.

Thanks again Egge and operating for your detailed responses!

Mark

Return to “Commander - The Great War”