How do you win as central powers in MP?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

wazzul
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

How do you win as central powers in MP?

Post by wazzul » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I've played a few games now and it seems very unbalanced. I've played Central Powers 4 times in multiplayer now and have lost every time by turn 50 when it was a competent opponent. I played the Entente and smashed the central powers players in 30 turns. Is the game just too unbalanced when both players know what they are doing or is there some tactic that works?

Rongor
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: How do you win as central powers in MP?

Post by Rongor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:05 am

I am experiencing the same problem right now. The major issue is the human opponent is knowing the typical german convoy routes and therefor easily blocking them. So you really don't have a chance to keep up in the arms race...

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by nehi » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:07 pm

maybe its so realistic, that u have to knock out france quick, to have any chance win whole war? anyway im ready to try it in mp game 8-)

jowcol

Post by jowcol » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:04 pm

I just realized after posting this that the question was about MP, and I've been talking about the AI-- still, maybe some of this will be valid. I'm assuming some of teh stuff I'm recommending is probably not normal.

My experience on the iPad. I consistently win as Central Powers by the middle of 1917- even on high AI, but it requires a couple out of the box moments.

OUT OF THE BOX MOMENT 1: Don't attack Belgium or France. Retreat from teh hex next to Liege and from Metz, so each unit in the west can only be attacked from two hexsides. Leave two reserved units in teh west, and send all air power, artillery, and stuff to the Russian Border. Austria needs to send a lot to the Russian border as well, and just try to limit a Serbian advance.
Only build infanty in 1914- - you need an equal mix of line and garrison.

When Russia comes in, hammer them. First , bludgeon into warsaw, and then keep pushing in the center, surrounding as many units as you can. (the AI sends better infantry in the far north and south. )

COmmit the German navy to the Baltic, protect teh one convoy that comes through, and take out the Russian dreadnaught. When the convoys arrive, invest in offensive sub technogy, entrenchments, and artillery shells. (Don't buy artillery units until you know you can use them. Keep 20-30 production points a turn to repair units.

Turkey: Don't commit units to the Caucuases front- it will take a long time for him to hurt you even if unopposed. Build some line infantry, and protect Palestine at the border. Do not advance into the Sinai- let the Brit come to you and be attacked by three hex sides. All you want to do is weaken the Brit through attrition.

The AI usually does not defend Moscow as well as the north and south, you should take it by mid-1915. OUT OF THE BOX MOMENT 2: When Russia surrenders, DISBAND THE MAJORITY OF YOUR ARMY IN RUSSIA. I only keep the units with commanders, artillery and air. Your production should now be closer to 70 a turn. Send the remaining units to take out Serbia and Romania.

When you disband all these units, you should also have the Sub warfare research advanced to where you have the mine-laying technology that makes your subs dangerous. Start building a uBoat fleet. Build up to 15 or even 20 before attacking. (Stops the AI from investing in anti-sub technology)

By Spring of 1916, you are ready. OUT OF THE BOX MOMENT 3. DON’T ATTACK ALLIED CONVOYS. Instead, hunt down the British fleet. Goobble up the cruisers first, and then swarm the battleships, making sure to block every hexside they can escape through. IN two turns, you will wear down and sink a battle ship that you have surrounded with your “wolf pack” , damaging British morale. Between losing 4-5 Dreadnoughts and the Fall of Russia, the UK typically surrenders by the end of 1916.

At this point, neither France, Belgium, nor Italy are likely to stay in the fight long. I usually; start investing in airpower and building fighters and tanks and artillery, and start offensives in the west that are “spoiling attacks”—I don’t advance. At this point, you can play cat and mouse, refusing to accept other surrenders if you want to try out new ideas. Oh yes, after Romania falls, I disband the entire Bulgarian Army, and invest in nothing but artillery research and ammunition, so the entire Bulgarian economy supports one or two artillery units that can fire every turn. If there is enough navy in the Med, and if you move your German sub fleet to the Mediterranean ,the Turks can invade Italian colonies, to weaken Italy.

Once the UK folds, however, it is a matter of time for the other allies to surrender and the US will never come in.

I don’t have access to cheats and mods, but haven’t needed to. You will find this approach a lot of fun in the East, and it hasn’t failed me yet. But make sure you keep watching the western front and keep you units repaired. If you slip up and there is a breakthrough, life can get harder.

I've never tried this MP-- I guess the best way to prevent this is to heavily invest in Anti-Sub warfare as the allies.

nehi

Post by nehi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:21 pm

ai is garbage, i consistently win vs privileged at early februar 1915 :lol:

only fun vs ai is kaiserslacht and get ultimate victory for both sides (yes, its possible for both sides, even entente with small trick, declare war on russia in very last turn 8))

and total war, when u declare war to rest of the world after 5th turn of 1914 (dont declare it to norway and sweden, it will break convoys and will bring unevitable crashes of the game) and win it just with germany and austria (yes, declare war even on turkey)

Return to “Commander - The Great War”