Convoy appearance and routes

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Convoy appearance and routes

Post by Zombo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:14 am

Hi guys

i'm new to the game and I was wondering what are the points of appearance and routes for convoys of both sides?
I know German ones appear from Sweden and Africa (somewhere else?)
What about the Allies?

thanks

Rongor
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Convoy appearance and routes

Post by Rongor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:52 am

You can look the convoy spawn coordinates up in the /data/scripts/1914.lua, the first two numbers after the DefineConvoy( part are the coordinates X|Y
They can be found about 30 lines before the end of the file.

The Germans have 4 spawns, two at the southern map border of the Atlantic, and the two at Narvik and the top hex of the Baltic Sea.
The British do also have 4, two beginning in Canada, one in the Atlantic south and the 4th in the Red Sea.
Also the French have a single convoy spawn south of the US.

The routes are not defined. Convoys are programmed to aim for the shortest route but they don't always take the same route. Deviations aren't that erratic though.
Last edited by Rongor on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rongor

Post by Rongor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 pm

I created a planning map for CTGW, offering several layers of information. I didn't upload it completely as it is not finished yet. But as it might help here, this is the (incomplete) convoy system. Spawning points are accurate, but I couldn't track down all the possible routes yet.

The blue lines represent the 100% efficiency limits for german subs, with and without control of Antwerp...

I actually use a slightly different version of this map ingame.

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Should be pointed out: Once a German convoy takes "one hit" (does not matter where it happens), the North Sea Blockade goes into effect. This blockade prevents any German convoys from spawning from both Narvik, Norway and the South Atlantic, but does not stop Swedish born convoys from spawning in the North Baltic, which usually try to make port at Koenigsberg. The one major problem I see with this blockade event is: Why should a German convoy hit in the Baltic: Trigger the North Sea Blockade? That never made sense to me.... :?: 2 completely separate bodies of water... Atlantic Ocean and the Baltic Sea...

Return to “Commander - The Great War”