how do upgrades work?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

how do upgrades work?

Post by Zombo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi

When can you upgrade your units? I thgought it was after each new technology, but it doesn't seem so.

(Also, I find a a bit unnecessary that the unit cannot move or anything just to be upgraded. At this game scale, for infantry at least, it is hardly justified)

petercummins89
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: how do upgrades work?

Post by petercummins89 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Technogigs will bring you reviews and guides on mobile phones – from Google’s Android to Apple’s iOS, the competition is getting fierce. According to the latest on Android watch, the global revenue for these proximity-based gesture sensors is projected to reach an astounding $100 million this year.

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:58 pm

petercummins89 wrote:Technogigs will bring you reviews and guides on mobile phones – from Google’s Android to Apple’s iOS, the competition is getting fierce. According to the latest on Android watch, the global revenue for these proximity-based gesture sensors is projected to reach an astounding $100 million this year.
Either the author of the above quote is a spam artist, or a complete nit-wit who is completely lost. Go Away with your junk, Jerk! :evil:

Zombo

Post by Zombo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:30 am

still doesn't tell me how upgrade works

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 am

Zombo wrote:still doesn't tell me how upgrade works
I think I know what you are talking about: Entrenchment techs do not show as a number on a unit's counter, plus that entrenchment tech does not cost any PP for a unit to have, although I am pretty sure the entrenchment tech does take effect on the units applicable on the turn it becomes available, however if you move the unit that turn, the unit will not get the benefit of the entrenchment tech till after the next turn, the unit has to stay in place for at least 1 turn before the entrenchment happens, the higher the entrenchment, the longer a unit has to stay in the same hex.. All other upgrades cost PP to go into effect, if it is a defensive upgrade it will be in effect during the change in turns, also any upgrades for any units (other than entrenchments) can be done after a unit moves, but has not attacked, at the same time the same unit can be repaired, as well as being upgraded. Naval units can only be upgraded and repaired in port, but only upgraded in a port of the country that owns the unit, any friendly port for repairs. Armored cruisers and pre-dreadnaughts cannot be upgraded.

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Robotron » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Have a look at technology.lua...if there's a "level = true" mentioned in the technology, it will lead to an increase in the unit's level.

TerribleTy
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TerribleTy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:53 am

Robotron wrote:Have a look at technology.lua...if there's a "level = true" mentioned in the technology, it will lead to an increase in the unit's level.
Gentlemen I don't wish to seem rude but no one on this thread has made any sense whatsoever.
Allow me to to talk about the Issue in detail. I am playing the game on my iPad and am about 15-turns in. I have spent extra for more labs and used the focus on various technologies. Some have completed and have moved on to the next research item. One in particular that has completed is Barbed Wire. Now I have a upgrade button that when I push it at the start of my turn (before any unit has done anything) will activate a notification at the top of my screen that says 'upgrade mode'.

So up to this point we have established that I have some barbed wire technology that has finished being researched. I have activated the upgrade unit button because it tells me I am in upgrade mode. My question starts here how do I upgrade my units to use the barbed wire?
Follow up question is if the barbed wire technology automatically upgrades my units ? What technology do I need to manually upgrade myself as I think The rule book said I would need to do? And why provide a upgrade button if the technology automatically upgrades the units ?

Thanks for any details you may provide.
There are no bad soldiers, only bad generals.
- Saying attributed to Napoleon

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:06 am

OK, I'll try to be of some help. Entrenching techs (once achieved) do not show in a units' ID icon "permanently", ie; going from a class I to a class II, infantry, ect.. Some might say from a level I to a level II, ect... Entrenching techs have a "0" cost in PP to upgrade, the upgrade is done automatically. No matter how many times you hit the upgrade button the entrenchment tech will not flash to show a unit can be upgraded, only units that have achieved an upgrade that costs PP to upgrade will flash (or rather highlight). What you should see as entrenchment techs have accumulated is an increase in the entrenchment value in an occupied hex. Upwards of 16 (value, reflecting that concrete bunkers is achieved) in a grassland hex when all entrenchment techs have been completed and that the unit has not moved for a number of turns.

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by nehi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm

operating is right, better shovels are for free :lol:

Return to “Commander - The Great War”