has ai any help in fights?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

has ai any help in fights?

Post by nehi »

http://steamcommunity.com/app/312350/di ... 501930834/

some guy at steam is telling ridiculous stories, how ai took out his full strength garrison in fortress just by 1 infantry and 1 garrison in one turn

ive played many games mostly vs privileged ai, i havent noticed any strange results in fights, so has ai some hardly noticable boost or not?
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: has ai any help in fights?

Post by Robotron »

In V1.66 the AI has no additional combat bonusses. I've looked through the combat.lua scripts hundreds of times and there is no secret AI bonus at any place whatsoever. That guy just sucks at the game and needs more practice, that's all.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Robotron wrote: That guy just sucks at the game and needs more practice, that's all.
Agree :)
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@nehi: please don't go around saying that I hate Germans in other forums. If Germany is nerfed in Potzblitz singleplayer mode vs Entente AI it is only to raise the challenge since I'm unable to reprogram the whole AI. I'm a German myself and take pride in my nation. Vielen Dank!

P.S. I also noticed you promoted PotzBlitz on the Steam Forums. So you are forgiven. ^^
chuftka
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by chuftka »

Wow.

My first Slitherine purchase. I had fun at the "Ai handicapped" level of the game and even bought a copy of it for a friend as an Xmas present.

Tried the "no handicap" level in a second game and immediately saw a large difference in the AI doing a lot more damage per attack than I was doing. Shared my experiences. Saw others who had the same experiences and reported them on multiple wargame forums. (Been a wargamer for about 35 years, including many WW1 games at the operational and strategic level.)

Now I see this creep Nehi is slandering me on the Slitherine forums as well as on Steam, all while claiming he can beat the game in 15 turns.

I am currently considering whether to ever buy another Slitherine product again.

Nehi, trying to post behind people's backs on the internet rarely works. You will invariably get caught.
nehi

Post by nehi »

chuftka wrote:Now I see this creep Nehi is slandering me on the Slitherine forums as well as on Steam, all while claiming he can beat the game in 15 turns.

I am currently considering whether to ever buy another Slitherine product again.

Nehi, trying to post behind people's backs on the internet rarely works. You will invariably get caught.
i was curious, i was sure there is no huge boost, but maybe there could be small one

ive told u ask here, but u were shy, so i did it instead of u

i see no slander in redirecting public thread to more eyes

on top of that u r telling fairy tales about this game, its not perfect, but your "problems" simply doesnt exists

it all started as ive tried to explain u how the game works, in threads like "leaders" or "serbia", later u started to call me lier as u still do, even when i uploaded my saves and showed u example of my warfare at youtube

your reaction speaks itself, when there is no problem, u made new one

i have no connection to slitherine, but u r considering to "punish" them?

@robotron: ok, i taught u r german, but it didnt correspond with your mod :lol: u made german starting position even more tough dont say ah, with that funny guy piotorek vs putnik, they can just sit and watch other fronts 8)

so far only noticable boost in ground fight seems to be attack/defense, maybe shock when stack in chain of attacks... assault in small numbers is like invisible
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Okay, now let's all just stop that petty feud and stay civil, shall we? 8)

@chuftka: I can assure you that nehi is correct in saying that the standard game can be won in less than 20 turns in singleplayer mode when playing CP vs Entente. Thing is you really have to know what you are doing and everything must work with clockwork-like precision and maybe a couple of reloads will be necessary (which in my books qualifies as cheating but this is another matter). At the very least it is very possible to capture Paris in 1914.

You described a situation where a computer controlled unit killed one of your garrisons in a fortress. Well maybe this garrison was already at zero efficiency and/or out of supply? Extra damage is also suffered when a unit is unable to retreat. In any case the AI does not get any boosts of any kind. The only thing that the "privileged" AI enjoys is a short burst of bonus income during the first few turns and a few extra units. That's all.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:couple of reloads will be necessary
its not necessary, as long as i discovered nasty spots where its safe to own ententes navy

the most ridiculous is, that britain has 4 dreads and when u sink em in 4 different turns, it hits its morale 4 times (sinking two or more in one turn hits it just once), so its possible to break britain without a single rifle shot and faster than russia :lol:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@nehi: you really should not brag too much about beating the AI into a pulp, we all know it's deficient and not up to par with experienced players.

What I gleanded from the scripts is that the AI will try to exploit the weakest fronts (total strength of friendly units compared to enemy units in relation to the number of frontline hexes seems to be a strong factor) and will neglect fronts where it is outnumbered and will only try to maintain a "kind" of coherent frontline there. The "strength" factor does not only correspondend to unit strength (as in remaining life points) but to the strength value defined in the units.lua file: garrisons are "strength" 7,infantries and armour are "strength" 14, artillery is 1, fighter planes are 6 etc.

Sadly no worthwhile effort was made by the original coders to reflect the importance of the fronts in relation to proximity to capitals or large production cities. This, combined with the questionable decision to allow for unlimited railtransport is the reason the AI will move most of its troops to the Balkans (singleplayer as Entente vs CP AI) or Italy (singleplayer as CP vs Entente AI).

There are however functions that give certain fronts a certain "weight" to counterbalance this behaviour and other functions to allow for more aggressive actions. Sadly these seem to be overridden by other parts of the AI scripts or are just not working as intended since changing the values seems have no obvious results. But I will keep experimenting with those.

Also there is a very perceptible reluctance of the AI to weaken strong units by repeated attacks which can be exploited in so far as to block important cities/railway hubs with upgraded infantries commanded by a leader.

I'll have to keep an eye on this but playtesting is VERY time consuming.
nehi

Post by nehi »

yeah, its most likely that some of these calculations are not working anymore in 1.6x, in 1.5x at least where ai had overstrength position was doing some offensive actions, in 1.6x its usually very pasive, doesnt matter whats the situation

acutally its possible to beat ai without acquiring a single new unit cause of that, ai is just harmless (it was my last game vs ai in vanilla like 3 months ago, ultimate win in 16th turn as cp, it was like dancing on the edge in the east, but i lost just like 2 garrisons and 3 minor cities even vs such overhelming enemy, save is down there, if someone asks where are production points, then look at ammo production, +21 germany/+12 ah :lol: )

btw. what about refilling units, isnt it unrealistic cheap in 1.6x? in 1.5x it was connected to purchase value of unit so it wasnt such pointless, if u lost 1 or 3 fighters, because it was quite expensive to replace it

losses in 1.66 cost just manpower and 1pp, loss of 3 costs 1pp as lost of just 1
Attachments
nonewunits.rar
(126.48 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Return to “Commander - The Great War”