GAR MP?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

esde
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

GAR MP?

Post by esde »

Could any kind soul explain to me the logic of GAR units having more MP than INF?
:?
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: GAR MP?

Post by nehi »

esde wrote:Could any kind soul explain to me the logic of GAR units having more MP than INF?
:?
they have half manpower, so u most likely mean movement points? its a light infantry and they can be easily commanded? who knows

i see no problem here, small garrisons and their upkeep are the real plague 8)
Last edited by nehi on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esde

Post by esde »

Movement Points indeed.

Having played CEaW (& its GS variant) for many years, it just feels counter-intuitive for GAR (2nd rank troops) units to be faster than INF (1st rank troops).

I am quite new to CtGW and was quite surprised by this element when I read the unit info panel. I had expected that they would be slower than INF.

Tis what it is, I suppose.

:|
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

FASTER? I don't get it? Garrisons and infantry move at the same rate when terrain is taken into consideration. SGs usually cannot move beyond 1 hex from a city's center. And as far as MP goes: I've never seen where MP has been a factor in a game, unless a nation has taken tremendous MP losses and that usually results in a NM loss rating for new units ie., A unit in : black, yellow, orange or red at time of deployment. (usually yellow is never present in a unit being deployed, it would go from black to orange at deployment). Also don't forget that when "any" convoy reaches a home port that the host country receives at least 2 MP (signifying Colonial MP had arrived, that's true for Germany, England and France).
nehi

Post by nehi »

operating wrote:FASTER? I don't get it? Garrisons and infantry move at the same rate when terrain is taken into consideration. SGs usually cannot move beyond 1 hex from a city's center. And as far as MP goes: I've never seen where MP has been a factor in a game, unless a nation has taken tremendous MP losses and that usually results in a NM loss rating for new units ie., A unit in : black, yellow, orange or red at time of deployment. (usually yellow is never present in a unit being deployed, it would go from black to orange at deployment). Also don't forget that when "any" convoy reaches a home port that the host country receives at least 2 MP (signifying Colonial MP had arrived, that's true for Germany, England and France).
u have to be mistaken, garrisons mp 6, infantry mp 7

garrisons are faster, sometimes it looks they have same speed, as just over grass, because it costs 2mp each hex, 6 or 7 modulo 2 is 3 both

especially when changing terrain or moving around enemy units, u can notice garrisons are faster, just a little bit, but they are
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

If that's the case, it never bothered me..
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

To be honest I see no reason for a smaller sized unit to be any slower than a bigger sized unit excluding Small Garrisons. Certainly not on a map with such few hexes as in CTGW.

In my mod both Garrisons and Infantry have a movement of 6.

In V4.0 Garrisons will be renamed to "Reserve Corps", Infantry will be renamed to "Army Corps".

Small Garrisons will be renamed to "Static Division" reflecting their movement of 1.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote:To be honest I see no reason for a smaller sized unit to be any slower than a bigger sized unit excluding Small Garrisons
smaller unit (garrison) is slightly faster than bigger (infantry)

u can call it matter of logistics (u cant move larger number of men on narrow road as fast as smaller/half number of men)

sounds perfectly accurate to me
Last edited by nehi on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@nehi: I was addressing the OP, Sherlock! ;)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi

Post by nehi »

i know, but u shouldnt cheat on logistics problem such way :lol:

i see no reason for twice as large group should move at exactly same speed
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Balancing reasons.

Reserves might be smaller and easier to move from a logistics point of view but usually they don't have the physical health to outrun standard troops.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi

Post by nehi »

as they dont carry heavy machine guns, they dont need overrun infantry, they can just walk around them :lol:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Since when can't Garrisons receive the "Industrialized Warfare" tech? :P
nehi

Post by nehi »

yeah, thats wrong, that should be removed :lol:
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Just ask the original developers for an update of the vanilla game then! Good luck! :D
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

:mrgreen:
Robotron wrote:Just ask the original developers for an update of the vanilla game then! Good luck! :D

Return to “Commander - The Great War”