Field of Glory II Tournament

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by Daniele »

We are pleased to announce the first Field of Glory 2 public tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of glory 2 Multiplayer system.
Anyone can enter. To join, go to the tournament page HERE, while the general tournament rules can be found HERE!

One of the devs will take part to the tournament too, so it could be a great way to learn a lot about the game and the best tactics!

The first round will commence on Friday 20th October 2017. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:
This tournament will involve three rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.

Round 1: Romans vs Seleucids
Round 2: Romans vs Dacians
Round 3: Macedonians vs Skythians

Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. Random maps are in use, so the two battles in each pair will be on different maps.First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:

• If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.
• If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:
1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.
2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.
3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).
Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:
If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 60 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:
Each round will last 7 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by Triarii »

Sadly I wasn't able to join as I have had log-in problems.
Kept being asked to merge accounts but could not use my preferred account name - I am now someone else, or rather as a plural many others, after so many years as a single Triarius!.
DzonVejn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by DzonVejn »

And what about modifications to the results played against cheaters?

In my first FoG2 tournament (http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/s ... =3&aPage=1), in the first round, I had a game that was really suspicious to me (I failed every possible leadership test, while my opponent passed every single one). I thought that maybe I had a really good opponent, or that I placed troops wrong, or something like that - but it was still suspicious to me. Then I see that my opponent doesn't exist in round 2 pairings (we've played both of our games to the end, so he is not kicked out for not playing enough turns). So I guess that he was kicked out for cheating somehow.

While kicking cheaters out is perfectly fine (in my opinion they should be permanently banned from multiplayer), what about the scores of their opponents? I got very little points from those games, which probably wouldn't be the case if the game was regular.

As I said - the question is based on the presumption that my opponent was kicked out for cheating (which I don't know if it is the case).
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sometimes you will get bad luck and there isn't any way someone can cheat to make you fail your rolls, especially if its in your turn. The game has cheat prevention & detection in it but we have not kicked anyone out of the tournament for cheating. If they have been removed it is because they did not complete their games. You have to play a minimum number of turns to continue.

So all I can say is your opponent was not removed for cheating, whoever they were.
DzonVejn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by DzonVejn »

But we played both of our (first round) games until the end. How comes that he isn't in the second round then?

(My moral failures were in his turn, which still doens't mean anything - might be just a bad luck, or my poor playing / his good playing, and anything in-between)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

All I can say is there has been no removal of people for cheating. Only people who didn't complete enough turns were removed.

The mechanism for punishing cheaters is to ban them from multiplayer completely, not to remove them from a tournament.

Return to “News & Announcements”