Upload to server failure messages

Tech support for Battle Academy

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Happycat
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Upload to server failure messages

Post by Happycat »

I might be misinformed or have misunderstood something; but I thought the false "failed to upload to server" message issue was fixed?

In any event, I am still seeing this message on occasion. It almost always occurs around 5 pm to 6 pm Atlantic Canada time, which would be 10'ish where the server is, assuming it's in the UK. The message repeats three times, then gives me the option of abandoning the turn. But, the turn actually does get through to the opponent after I choose to abandon it.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this query.
Chance favours the prepared mind.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Hmmm. That is odd. The server is actually sited in the continental US I think. Not sure of the time zone.

It's possibly an overload issue, but I feel we would see more reports. I wonder if it is just taking a VERY long time (it would be what, 3 minutes at least for 3 timeouts?) to upload the turn. The uploading actually keeps going in the background (e.g. cancelling the wait doesn't actually cancel the upload) and so it is possible it finishes fine, just during the time you are doing other stuff.

It's certainly an odd occurance. Do your turns usually take a long time to upload (e.g. more than a second or 2). Could it be that your connection has high contention (e.g. at 5pm everyone comes home and turns on their torrents of DWtS and kills your upload rate ;) )?

Thanks for reporting the issue. If you have any more info that would be very useful in at least working out if we could give additional useful feedback.

Cheers

Pip
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

pipfromslitherine wrote:It's certainly an odd occurance. Do your turns usually take a long time to upload (e.g. more than a second or 2). Could it be that your connection has high contention (e.g. at 5pm everyone comes home and turns on their torrents of DWtS and kills your upload rate ;) )?

Thanks for reporting the issue. If you have any more info that would be very useful in at least working out if we could give additional useful feedback.

Cheers

Pip
1. No issues at my end with extra traffic at those times, and all other i'net functions are unaffected. My turns usually upload FAST!

2. I'm not the only one; two of my opponents (rkr1958 being one of them, I've forgotten who the other was) reported the same problems from their end earlier in September. rkr1958 is at the opposite end of the continent from me.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm. OK - we will look into it at this end and see if there is anything that stands out on the server logs.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Pip
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Hmm. OK - we will look into it at this end and see if there is anything that stands out on the server logs.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Pip
Good luck! I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, and can only guess at how much fun it will be trying to find the cause. Incidentally, my typical turn upload takes from 4 to 6 seconds before returning me to the Multiplayer menu, which I presume is fairly fast, and quite typical?
Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Upload to server failure messages

Post by Merr »

Happycat wrote: In any event, I am still seeing this message on occasion. It almost always occurs around 5 pm to 6 pm Atlantic Canada time, which would be 10'ish where the server is, assuming it's in the UK. The message repeats three times, then gives me the option of abandoning the turn. But, the turn actually does get through to the opponent after I choose to abandon it.
Happycat,

You using wireless at all ?

I always have internet connection problems when I run my microwave oven.

Also, it sounds like your in Canada, eh? Perhaps the time frame of 5-6pm is roughly when the sun sets ... the atmosphere gets pretty ugly during the transition.

Check the location of the Aurora while you're troubleshooting :wink:

There's way too much electrical interference these days ... Tell your neighbor to cook a real meal for once! :lol:

Merr
Happycat

Re: Upload to server failure messages

Post by Happycat »

Merr wrote:You using wireless at all ?

I always have internet connection problems when I run my microwave oven.

Also, it sounds like your in Canada, eh? Perhaps the time frame of 5-6pm is roughly when the sun sets ... the atmosphere gets pretty ugly during the transition.

There's way too much electrical interference these days ... Tell your neighbor to cook a real meal for once! :lol:

Merr
1. Nope, I did away with wireless and went back to hard connection. HUGE difference in speeds; I would say about 6-7 times faster.

2. Merr, you have problems when you run your microwave? Sounds like YOU need to cook a real meal, at least when you're uploading :)

3. The problem can be atmospherics, I suppose, but as noted before, none of my other internet downloads or uploads suffer this fate.

4. My neighbour has metal roof tiles, and presumably no signals leak through. I think he's afraid that aliens might try brain-probing him :lol:
barratt
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by barratt »

I have been having the same thing happen a lot.
If I type a message, (fail to send to sever)
If I dont type a message its fine.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's very unlikely that adding a message would affect the sending. Does this happen all the time, or do you tend to play around one time?

Cheers

Pip
jonnieb57

Post by jonnieb57 »

I have had this happen a number of times lately. I am playing about 6 online games consecutively. "Game has failed to send multiple times....." comes up rather often.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm - I wonder if the upswing in PzC traffic is negatively affecting things. Does the game eventually go through if you keep trying over and over, or does it never succeed?

I will look into how we can try and improve this.

Cheers

Pip
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Hmm - I wonder if the upswing in PzC traffic is negatively affecting things. Does the game eventually go through if you keep trying over and over, or does it never succeed?

I will look into how we can try and improve this.

Cheers

Pip
I obviously don't speak for JohnnieB57 but in my case, it tries three times, then gives me the option to abandon the turn, which I do. However, my opponent DOES receive the turn with no issues.
Grimnirsson
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Grimnirsson »

Same here. We sometimes get these error messages, then we don't, then we get them again...the files are uploaded fine, so one could ignore the message...but the hassle starts when one tries to get out of the game which isn't that easy then.
Obsolete
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Obsolete »

Hmm, well I went through that this evening... decided to keep the game minimized for a few hours, and then things cleared up ok after that.
Experience Ratio = (def exp level + 2)/(att exp level + 2)
Entrenchment Ratio = (def entr rate + 1) /(att entr rate + 1)
Grimnirsson

Post by Grimnirsson »

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I'm using the beta patch (1.7) that does allow me to lower the fps and my opponent does not? We tried to check that out as a possible error source but she can't install the patch. A message comes up saying she is missing the mss32.dll, but this file is actually there (in the windows/system32 folder where it belongs). Does one need to copy this dll into a specific folder of the game? Or is it that she can't use it because she is using a 64 bit W7?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The beta should have everything you need - the mss32.dll file should be in the install folder. We never install anything to the system.

The FPS wouldn't affect the uploading at all.

Cheers

Pip
nk418ripe
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by nk418ripe »

I had the same problem today at around 4:15 *Central time) with two games - Went they trying to upload three times, then canceling - Strangely, the games now appear on the "opponent turn" list, with the times at which the uploads failed....
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

1.7 has some changes which might help with this.

Out of interest, what is your usual upload time for a successful upload?

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like it might be the mail issue we have been periodically having - you are getting back an error which basically means "can't send opponent an email" - but we shouldn't be sending you this error anyway, it's not like you can fix it ;).

Cheers

Pip
nk418ripe

Post by nk418ripe »

"Out of interest, what is your usual upload time for a successful upload? "
Usually, below 30 seconds

Return to “Battle Academy : Tech Support”