great game but one bad

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

hank
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

great game but one bad

Post by hank » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:41 am

My first post here. (in the mod department)

I bought BA and BA:BF several days ago and have had a blast. Its a great game to have fun with and play through some tough battles. I have not yet played online and look forward to that when I get a little better.

The one bad about the game is the complete lack of reversing a vehicle; especially an armored vehicle. I've read quite a bit on this site and see Merr is working on this but in my humble opinion this is something Slitherine needs to address. (I don't know if Merr is a developer or a User)

Not being able to back up an armored vehicle is a terrible oversight. A game of this scale has to have that ability to be realistic. The developers should put their priorities on solving this problem and not depend on a User to fix it.

I'm a low level rookie at programming but I know war games very well and this is not an impossible task. Other games have this ability. I have over 20 years of computer wargaming from stragetic level to simulations. Backing a tank out of a hostile situation is a need, not a want. The developers need to step up on this and make this game better. Its already good and will get better with User input and modifications but some things the creator has to address.

Thanks for this wonderful game. I look forward to hours of enjoyment.

hank

Post by hank » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 am

2nd post

I don't usually post negative messages like my first one. I have a history at Matrix, Run5, and other wargame sites. You won't see me complain about much. I will suggest improvements so please forgive if I come across as a complainer because that's not my nature. You'll see over the long haul I'm not a negative poster.

I found this game and really like it. I was just a little disappointed about what I wrote about above.

Have a nice day

Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Hank!

I also love this game and have been playing it for quite a time (much longer than most games I play anyway). I actually agree with you completeley and1 posted a thread in general forum a while ago asking for this. Slitherine guys are aware and agree that, with some logical restrictions, this is a feature to be added...in the future.

I am sure constructive criticism like yours are much welcomed by the team and although they are fully aware of this issue, I am afraid a lack of time and a huge "to do" lists for this an other games prevent them to implement it yet.

Cross my fingers. The game definitely needs it and would improve a lot more (specially MP) with it.

Cheers

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: great game but one bad

Post by Merr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:31 pm

hank wrote: The one bad about the game is the complete lack of reversing a vehicle; especially an armored vehicle. I've read quite a bit on this site and see Merr is working on this but in my humble opinion this is something Slitherine needs to address. (I don't know if Merr is a developer or a User)
I'm just a user ... not a programmer, just a noob that likes to tweak things (with Slitherines help understanding the how-to's).
Not being able to back up an armored vehicle is a terrible oversight. A game of this scale has to have that ability to be realistic. The developers should put their priorities on solving this problem and not depend on a User to fix it.

Actually, I didn't "fix it" .... I'm using smoke and mirrors ... Fixing it requires a major change (I interpreted the reasoning, code wise) on how the move works, and it appears to not simply be how it moves, but how the animation works and other deep, criptic things not visible to the naked eye. I added reverse move to my TrackHit! mod to give users a chance to see "what it would look like" while Slitherine looked at ways to make it a reality, that is, if they wanted to see how much of an impact it would have on BA's theme ... "keep it simply, yet challenging".

Pip's to-do list seems awefully long ... perhaps it's on their list, just not in the TOP TEN. Should reverse moves be in the top ten? ... I'll need to throw my input into Acererak's thread ;

viewtopic.php?t=18722
I'm a low level rookie at programming ...
You should del'v into the code ... I'm probably less of a rookie than you ... it's quite the challenge!

Merr
Last edited by Merr on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Once the new year comes around I'm going to try and keep a (relatively) up to date list of my roadmap of tasks, so there will be more transparency as to what is going on. It does tend to be a mismash of larger features coupled with smaller things that tend to get done if I am working in the same area as the code that would need to change.

As a teaser, the major features I will be looking at first are (probably!):

+ dynamic object scripting
+ MP force selection
+ mission carryover

Cheers

Pip

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:42 pm

The last two are some of the most requested that I see.

MP players want the force selection

Campaign players want carryover. Of course they want branching campaigns too but they are so hard to make well.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

Merr
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Merr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 pm

junk2drive wrote:The last two are some of the most requested that I see.

MP players want the force selection

Campaign players want carryover. Of course they want branching campaigns too but they are so hard to make well.
Junk,

The first item is a biggy as well .... + dynamic object scripting ...

This is the first step to Random Maps ... build it, and they will come!

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Someone probably wants MP random campaigns too with carryover and branching.

WinSP has MP campaigns but memory says that the loser doesn't get enough replacement points and starts going downhill fast.

GUI creation is probably number one for those that choose to create but the majority just want content.
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.

Jonesy1760
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Great ideas!!!

Post by Jonesy1760 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:50 pm

A reverse vehicle and mission carryover would be fine additions to this game!!!

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Both coming in 1.6, which is just waiting on some extensive final testing.

Cheers

Pip

Jonesy1760

Great news!!!

Post by Jonesy1760 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 pm

1.6 version!!! Keep us all posted....

Return to “Battle Academy : Modders Corner ”