New 3d warships - Cruiser, Destroyer, Minesweeper

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: New 3d warships - Cruiser, Destroyer, Minesweeper

Post by LandMarine47 »

VERY COOL! Can't wait for the Alpha. And while your at it why not make German and British Ships as well. I'd like to see The Brits take on the Japs. Hell maybe even a scenario for North Sea Battle between The Germans and the British. And a Sub Hunting map where you sink as many Cargo Ships before they escape via a VP. But those are just ideas. I wonder how Germans and British Ships would look like.
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

LandMarine47 wrote:VERY COOL! Can't wait for the Alpha. And while your at it why not make German and British Ships as well. I'd like to see The Brits take on the Japs. Hell maybe even a scenario for North Sea Battle between The Germans and the British. And a Sub Hunting map where you sink as many Cargo Ships before they escape via a VP. But those are just ideas. I wonder how Germans and British Ships would look like.
Well my production at work suddenly decreased in recent days. :mrgreen:

And I'm pretty busy: do the 3D model, do the script's v4 of NAM with complex carrier, ...

So I think we forget Atlantic War. :wink: At first time. After we'll see.
“Take care, my friend; watch your six, and do one more roll… just for me.”
GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GottaLove88s »

HOW TO SIMULATE PACIFIC CARRIERS AND AIRFIELDS?

Amaris raises a great point... Can we brainstorm with you guys?

There are many way to simulate how aircraft work in Battle Academy... By default, Slith makes them available using bonus buttons... Amaris' superb NAM v3, made scout/attack moves possible with a small selection of carrier based aircraft, where a 'defend' order would nullify attackers raids...

The thing is, we've now got a selection of 3d US and Jap aircraft. We've got 3d carriers. And we're building in 3d airfields to our coming maps.

What's the best way for carrier/airfield operations to be fun and interactive? So that players retain the tactical control, but individual units can have a strategic impact on recon, precision attacks and area defences... What have you seen (for carriers and airfields) in other games?

Please dump all ideas so we can explore this...
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Amaris wrote:Well my production at work suddenly decreased in recent days. :mrgreen:
Je suis très désolé, Alex! I just knew you were looking for a fascinating summer 'projet'... and given our shared desire for 3D warships, I couldn't resist... Please don't kill me! :oops:
Amaris wrote:So I think we forget Atlantic War. :wink: At first time. After we'll see.
Be warned. LM tends to ask for moon. Frequently... But I've realised he does his research and has great ideas. Sometimes... Listen. And offer him cream cheese occasionally... Inside, he knows the moon isn't possible... Let's crack Pacific 1941-45... The rest of the war can come later, eh gents?

PS. Although, above agreed, I'd loooooove to do a decent Malta 'what if'... With German/Italian air attacks, Royal Navy defence, merchant convoys... And a fictional German beach landing, supported by paratroops... For my next project, after the Pacific... :mrgreen:
Last edited by GottaLove88s on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCENARIO LINKS
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

GottaLove88s wrote:Next project, after the Pacific.
Um next project after the Pacific will be ... holidays. :mrgreen:
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Holidays...?? In the Pacific...?? I've heard Okinawa is lovely this time of year... :wink:

Amaris wrote:
GottaLove88s wrote:Next project, after the Pacific.
Um next project after the Pacific will be ... holidays. :mrgreen:
SCENARIO LINKS
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

GottaLove88s wrote:
Amaris wrote:Well my production at work suddenly decreased in recent days. :mrgreen:
Je suis très désolé, Alex! I just knew you were looking for a fascinating summer 'projet'... and given our shared desire for 3D warships, I couldn't resist... Please don't kill me! :oops:
Amaris wrote:So I think we forget Atlantic War. :wink: At first time. After we'll see.
Be warned. LM tends to ask for moon. Frequently... But I've realised he does his research and has great ideas. Sometimes... Listen. And offer him cream cheese occasionally... Inside, he knows the moon isn't possible... Let's crack Pacific 1941-45... The rest of the war can come later, eh gents?

PS. Although, above agreed, I'd loooooove to do a decent Malta 'what if'... With German/Italian air attacks, Royal Navy defence, merchant convoys... And a fictional German beach landing, supported by paratroops... For my next project, after the Pacific... :mrgreen:
I don't want to Burst your bubble but if an invasion of Malta were to happen it would be like Crete except more Air Support/Naval. This Applies to the British but I am interested in the Idea of a German/Italian Landing. And Para will need to be buffed down since BA by default gives them FG 42's and this is 1941 so they still use basic K-98/MP 40's. as for you next project you have lots on your plate! If you don't get Ranger a St. Nazaire map I don't think he will be happy :shock: but hey you've already gotten us some (epic) 3D Ships so I'm sure Ranger will understand in the Long Run(can't blame him your maps rock!). BTW are we focusing on the Pacific or can we REALLY get into it with Malaya and China. Maybe even what if invasions of Australia, India, Alaska, and Hawaii. Maybe even the West Coast! I can see it now Breakfast in Seattle, lunch in San Francisco, and Dinner in Los Angeles! :twisted:
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

LandMarine47 wrote:I don't want to Burst your bubble but if an invasion of Malta were to happen it would be like Crete except more Air Support/Naval. This Applies to the British but I am interested in the Idea of a German/Italian Landing. And Para will need to be buffed down since BA by default gives them FG 42's and this is 1941 so they still use basic K-98/MP 40's
See what I mean about does his research and seems to know his stuff? ;-)
LandMarine47 wrote:as for you next project you have lots on your plate! If you don't get Ranger a St. Nazaire map I don't think he will be happy :shock: but hey you've already gotten us some (epic) 3D Ships so I'm sure Ranger will understand in the Long Run(can't blame him your maps rock!).
Hmmm... I assume you realised that the Gato class submarine model (see above) looks an awful lot like a Type VI or VII U-boat? Like the Kriegsmarine might have stationed in a certain submarine pen on the west coast of France... :mrgreen:
LandMarine47 wrote:BTW are we focusing on the Pacific or can we REALLY get into it with Malaya and China. Maybe even what if invasions of Australia, India, Alaska, and Hawaii. Maybe even the West Coast! I can see it now Breakfast in Seattle, lunch in San Francisco, and Dinner in Los Angeles! :twisted:
NOOOOOOOO!! :twisted:
SCENARIO LINKS
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

Well I have a lot a fun with Gmax.

My advice for modders: test it! It's free and a lot less complicated than I thought. And it allows a lot of stuffs.

I tried something this morning: take off planes from carrier:

Well if its working, there are some problems:
- first, planes still take off in the same direction, And not in the direction of the aircraft carrier. :mrgreen:
- then the trajectory needs to be improved.

Short test to see what can be done. Or not. :wink:
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Amaris wrote:Well I have a lot a fun with Gmax.

My advice for modders: test it! It's free and a lot less complicated than I thought. And it allows a lot of stuffs.

I tried something this morning: take off planes from carrier:

Well if its working, there are some problems:
- first, planes still take off in the same direction, And not in the direction of the aircraft carrier. :mrgreen:
- then the trajectory needs to be improved.

Short test to see what can be done. Or not. :wink:
Super Cool! I lol'ed when I saw those aircraft went off map where are they going anyway?
I think the bob effect should be buffed down if a plane went off while the carrier is bobbing around there's a good chance it may crash into the Bridge. :shock:
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Nice carrier based take-off animation Amaris!
Take off of 3 raiders simultaneously is beautiful.
Can you show them pulling up into the air (growing larger)?
To reach a stationary position... if intended to permit them a turn (or 2) in the air...
SCENARIO LINKS
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Are those Zeroes or Corsairs?
Did you get the deck jpeg for the Akagi (several posts further back)?
Can repost if helpful...
SCENARIO LINKS
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

LandMarine47 wrote:Super Cool! I lol'ed when I saw those aircraft went off map where are they going anyway?
I think the bob effect should be buffed down if a plane went off while the carrier is bobbing around there's a good chance it may crash into the Bridge. :shock:
Yup a good point: remove the bob effect for carrier. This is very ugly with planes taking off (and perhaps also for landing).
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

GottaLove88s wrote:Nice carrier based take-off animation Amaris!
Take off of 3 raiders simultaneously is beautiful.
Can you show them pulling up into the air (growing larger)?
To reach a stationary position... if intended to permit them a turn (or 2) in the air...
I think we can modify the scale of the objects during the animation. So ;-)
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

GottaLove88s wrote:Are those Zeroes or Corsairs?
Did you get the deck jpeg for the Akagi (several posts further back)?
Can repost if helpful...
Neither one nor the other.
Those are the planes that come with the model aircraft carrier.

But I guess we can do the same with the Corsair model for USS carrier and Zeroes for IJN.

Not working yet on Akagi and textures. At the moment I'm testing. And I learn. :wink:
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Man I can't wait to see a dogfight with those things! I wonder if you can make an animation where they fly around a couple of tiles as they "dogfight" quick question will you add Torpedo Bombers with the Dive Bombers?
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

Can we add custom animations (like take off, landing, ...) on the definition .txt file of the unit? I mean in addition to the standard animations like WAIT, MOVE, and FIRE DIE?
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

LandMarine47 wrote:Man I can't wait to see a dogfight with those things! I wonder if you can make an animation where they fly around a couple of tiles as they "dogfight" quick question will you add Torpedo Bombers with the Dive Bombers?
Dogfight: I guess this is possible. Stay stunned I'll test that this afternoon. Well if I have time. :wink:

I haven't a model of Torpedo Bombers.
Thanks to GottaLove88s, we have a Corsair, a Zero fighter and a Val Bomber with a bomb.

I'll test to render a torpedo shoot. For Destroyer first. Then for Submarine and perhaps planes.
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

To be honest with you the transition in 3D takes a lot of work. (And I worked on 3D only since few days :mrgreen:)
If we have some very nice 3D models now, we need animations to make it really pretty.
So the ETA is impossible to know.
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

Good to know I think it's amazing that in a few days of 3D modeling you have created a entire Battle Fleet (with the models coming from Gl88's of course) this mod looks epic :D

Return to “Battle Academy : Modders Corner ”