New Scenario - Normandy 1944

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

maximvs
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

New Scenario - Normandy 1944

Post by maximvs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Here's my first attempt at a scenario. Nothing fancy, just using the Template and following Pip's tutorial.

I've played it a few times and added a few extra units and details each time, so I'd like some comments from anyone who plays it (otherwise I'll just end up filling the map with units!!!).

You command a mixed bag of hastily dug in British a couple of weeks after D-Day. The Germans have at last brought up some tanks and are probing your defences. If you succeed in holding your line, you may consider using the remaining turns to recce their defences.

HINT, don't try anything rash on the first turn!

Normandy 1944 New revised version ... LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?r36rtd72tbgctmf

As usual, unzip this folder into My Documents/My Games/BBCBA/CAMPAIGNS
Look for Normandy 1944 in the game Menu
Last edited by maximvs on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 pm

avast blocked the download.

PirateJock_Wargamer

Post by PirateJock_Wargamer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Maximvs - just downloaded and will give it a go tonight ... hopefully :)

TotalWar
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TotalWar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 am

Trees dont give any cover. Shouldnt they offer some cover. Also vehicles are driving straight through buildings and walls.

maximvs

Post by maximvs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 am

I would have thought the game mechanics would identify the trees as cover - but having said that, there are two types of 'tree' in the editor, one that is just scenery, and one that blocks line of sight. I chose the scenery version, so maybe that doesn't count as cover either ...

As for driving vehicles through the buildings - that's a bit mysterious (When I was a kid, I can remember that my Mum would always tell me off for driving my PzKw VI through the kitchen!). But seriously, there is perhaps a feature that switches on 'impassable' to vehicles whilst still allowing infantry to enter. I'll have a look in the editor and see what I can do.

Have you tried to drive through buildings in any other scenarios? I don't think I've encountered it, but then, maybe I just haven't tried it.

Anyone else got any thoughts or ideas on this?

Thanks for the feedback anyway! :D

EDIT: I've just re-played the scenario and I think it's the garden walls that the vehicles can drive through rather than the buildings, as would be the case in real life (for tracked vehicles and such, anyway). They would look better if they became ruined afterwards in the same way if they have been shelled.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 pm

We made it so that walls didn't block movement, they were really just for show, vs hedges which were obviously blocking.

Cheers

Pip

maximvs

Post by maximvs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm

That makes sense ...

Thanks Pip!

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 pm

I tried again to download the file. Again avast blocked it. I right clicked to save it and got a bunch of bad popups.

Could you post it somewhere else or ?

tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 pm

You can grab it here:-

Maximvs_missions.rar

Hope you don't mind me hosting it Maximus.
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks, got it and played it.

The first few turns were scary as the German tanks killed my tanks with long range shots. Can you tell I moved forward?

I fell back and let the Germans come into range of my guns and mortars. By turn 10 I had killed most everything on my side if the map. By 15 I had advanced almost to the river. Repulsed a mild counter attack.

I suggest a German flag across the river and make the US player take it to win. That will give him something to do in the second half of the battle.

Add a text file to your folder named maker.txt with your name inside. Your name will then show on the bottom of the campaign selection screen.

Thanks for sharing.

maximvs

Post by maximvs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 pm

No problems with that tim1966, but see below (so you may want to replace it with the new version ...)

Thanks for the tips J2D, flag markers now added. This allows the player to see exactly what the Germans are aiming for, and as you say, gives a purpose to the subsequent counter attack.

Also I've changed the scenario name from 'Template' which will allow me to add a second scenario presently.

And added my name - many thanks for that!

*Link pasted to the first post and old link removed*

junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Much better.

Won with 5 turns remaining. Only lost 2 infantry. It was my second run through though.

tim1966

Post by tim1966 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Updated my download too - hoping to find some time over the weekend to play it again. Its great that there seems to be more scenarios being made.
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”