EROMMEL'S "WACHT AM RHEIN" CAMPAIGN

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

ERommel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

EROMMEL'S "WACHT AM RHEIN" CAMPAIGN

Post by ERommel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:13 am

VERSION 2 IS NOW READY!

Instructions on Installation
LST FILE: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... EIN_V2.LST"
1) CLICK ON "CAMPAIGN"
2) CLICK ON THE MULTIPLE FOLDER (TOP LEFT)
3) CLICK ON THE RED TOOLBOX (TOP RIGHT)
4) Paste the LST file by Clicking The "+":
5) CLICK THE CHECK MARK
The game should now be available in the Multiple Play section
Click on "MY CHALLENGES" to view the game
LISTED AS: EROMMEL WACHT AM RHEIN VER 2.0
There is only 1 scenario at the moment entitled "Secure the Bridges Ver 2.0"

EROMMEL WACHT AM RHEIN version 2.0

TURNS: 30
USA SECOND FRONT INFANTRY BATTALION
vs
WAFFEN SS PANZER REGIMENTAL BATTLE GROUP
Size: Maximum Size
Units: 64 pieces each player
Mods: Mods first created by members on this forum. I have made some specific changes for this scenario. Here is an overview of units:

GERMAN (Not the full list of units, only those that are new or modified)
Tanks have limited smoke dischargers as per history (PzIVJ, Panther, Tiger)
Special Purpose Half Tracks (motar, gun) do not carry troops
Brandenburger (Special Forces) - Disguised in US Infantry Uniform. Elite Forces with special abilities including the ability to remove obstacles.
Brandenburger USA Jeep - Captured US Jeeps unmarked as German Property. They are used by Brandenburger Units for Transport
Puma Scout - Puma Car with Scouting Ability
Kampfgruppe Commander - Leader ability including moral and promotion

USA
1 Star General
Engineer Tank (Removes obstacles and fires smoke dischargers)
Sherman Tanks are equipped with smoke dischargers

SCENARIO DESCRIPTION
The German offensive in the Ardennes December 1944

GERMAN PLAYER
You command a Waffen SS Panzer Battle Group supported by Brandenburger Special Forces.
Objectives: (1) Secure the Highway leading to Antwerp, Belgium, (2) Secure Fuel at the US Ammo Dump
Poor Weather: No Ally Air support. US Troops are disorganised and lack heavy weapons.
ORDER OF BATTLE
Regimental Battle Group:
1 COY Panther
1 COY PzIVJ / Tiger INF SUPPORT
1 COY WAFFEN SS INFANTRY
Attachments: 1 PLT ENGINEERS, 1 PLT SCOUTS, 1 PLT MECH MOTAR, 1 PLT MOTAR, 1 PLT Halftrack Gun
Transport Pool: Limited number of trucks and halftracks
ARTI SUPPORT: ROCKET BOMBARDMENT SUPPORT and HEAVY ARTI SUPPORT
SPECIAL ATTACHMENT: Brandenburg Team Operating Behind Enemy Lines (TOP SECRET)

US PLAYER
You command a supply garrison on the "Quiet Front". Most troops are regular and have been transferred to your command for a temporary period of rest.
Objectives: (1) Patrols (2) Organise the Christmas Banquet and Mass at the Church.
Weather: We are suffering terrible cold weather but the snow is welcomed by our troops. It should be very quiet in your sector which means a festive Christmas for the boys.
ORDER OF BATTLE
US Army Infantry Battalion:
x2 COY INFANTRY
Support Troops: Machine Guns and other
Attachments: Wolverine Tank Destroyer Company (Standby Reserves)
1 platoon of US Airborne (R&R)
TACTICAL ARTI: x2 25 pounder guns and x1 Rocket Mounted Sherman, and x2 81mm motar
MISC: Scouting Units and Engineering Units
HEAVY ARTI SUPPORT: NIL

* If you like the scenario please let me know. Feel free to post your comments on this thread. I'm thinking of a making a list of scenarios like this one which would be based on the battles of Peiper.

Good Hunting!

NOTES:
This is a new game and further adjustments will be needed. Please let me know if you find the game needs balancing in terms of units, objectives, and map.
Last edited by ERommel on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Re: EROMMEL'S "WACHT AM RHEIN" CAMPAIGN

Post by ERommel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 am

Some of the play testers have not updated to version 3. Please note that the newest version is called "Bridges".
I sent you a PM with the newest LST file. You need to delete all previous versions prior to installing the newest version 3 (Bridges)
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by leci » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 am

Hi - your first PM *.lst file link crashed the iPad app. Second PM link worked.

Gilles
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

leci

Post by leci » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:54 pm

How many turns does it take Engineers to remove an obstacle? Thus far, 3 turns for US engineers to remove a tank trap....ongoing.

Gilles
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm

leci wrote:How many turns does it take Engineers to remove an obstacle? Thus far, 3 turns for US engineers to remove a tank trap....ongoing.

Gilles
It should take 4 turns for 1 Engineer or 2 turns if 2 are working. Please let me know how it goes. PM me
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 pm

UPDATED VERSION IS NOW READY AND THE LST FILE HAS BEEN SENT TO PLAY TESTERS.

Please delete the previous version.

Thank you.

Update Includes fixing script bugs, map issues, and rebalancing of units.

Thank you to those that are play testing and sending me comments.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Important note for beta testers
The newest version (version 4) is called: Secure The Bridges Beta 1.0
From now on I will add beta #.# until it is ready for release.

Thank you to those that are sending me reports and thank you for the compliments on my beautiful art work :-)

Please delete the old "secure the bridges"
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:20 pm

READY TO RELEASE TO ALL MEMBERS ON THE FORUM TO PLAY TEST

I would like to thank those few play testers that helped me by spending many hours playing and sending me suggestions. I would like to especially like to thank members KINGT and GUARDSMAN.

Here is version 1.0 for release.

SCENARIO NOTES:
Ardennes 1944 Waffen SS BattleGroup vs Regular US Troops
This scenario is not historically accurate but is fair representation. I will be looking to create a list of scenarios that more accurately portray the battles of BattleGroup Peiper very soon. This scenario is my first attempt at putting together a nice looking map with a good selection of units.

GAMING NOTES:
I used some of the mods found on this forum and used some of the work by member JCB989 whom I would like to thank for his help and support in play testing. I need to learn how to use the scripts if I am to create good games.

UNITS
Maximum number of units allowed
Modified Units:
Each side gets 1 Leader (100% success rate in promoting)
German Motar HalfTracks
German Brandenburg Units (higher movement rate, more powerful, and can act as engineers)
Engineers that fire smoke and remove obstacles

MAP
The maximum size allowed. Massive is the word.

TURNS:
35 turns

Enjoy!

Please note:
This is version 1 and is still "play testing" but I think it is good enough at the moment to share with everyone to test and provide feedback.

Cheers!
Last edited by ERommel on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am

NOTE:

THE BRANDENBURG UNITS DON'T HAVE SPECIAL SKILLS BUT THEY REMAIN POWERFUL.
Will fix this when I do the next update.

Enjoy
- Joachim Peiper

Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 am

Sorry if it's a dumb question - but I follow your link, paste in the link that appears at bottom of text message, and download one "cpf" file. No extractable file?

Thanks

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 am

VERSION 2 IS NOW READY!

Instructions on Installation
LST FILE: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... EIN_V2.LST"
1) CLICK ON "CAMPAIGN"
2) CLICK ON THE MULTIPLE FOLDER (TOP LEFT)
3) CLICK ON THE RED TOOLBOX (TOP RIGHT)
4) Paste the LST file by Clicking The "+":
5) CLICK THE CHECK MARK
The game should now be available in the Multiple Play section
Click on "MY CHALLENGES" to view the game
LISTED AS: EROMMEL WACHT AM RHEIN VER 2.0
There is only 1 scenario at the moment entitled "Secure the Bridges Ver 2.0"

EROMMEL WACHT AM RHEIN version 2.0

TURNS: 30
USA SECOND FRONT INFANTRY BATTALION
vs
WAFFEN SS PANZER REGIMENTAL BATTLE GROUP
Size: Maximum Size
Units: 64 pieces each player
Mods: Mods first created by members on this forum. I have made some specific changes for this scenario. Here is an overview of units:

GERMAN (Not the full list of units, only those that are new or modified)
Tanks have limited smoke dischargers as per history (PzIVJ, Panther, Tiger)
Special Purpose Half Tracks (motar, gun) do not carry troops
Brandenburger (Special Forces) - Disguised in US Infantry Uniform. Elite Forces with special abilities including the ability to remove obstacles.
Brandenburger USA Jeep - Captured US Jeeps unmarked as German Property. They are used by Brandenburger Units for Transport
Puma Scout - Puma Car with Scouting Ability
Kampfgruppe Commander - Leader ability including moral and promotion

USA
1 Star General
Engineer Tank (Removes obstacles and fires smoke dischargers)
Sherman Tanks are equipped with smoke dischargers

SCENARIO DESCRIPTION
The German offensive in the Ardennes December 1944

GERMAN PLAYER
You command a Waffen SS Panzer Battle Group supported by Brandenburger Special Forces.
Objectives: (1) Secure the Highway leading to Antwerp, Belgium, (2) Secure Fuel at the US Ammo Dump
Poor Weather: No Ally Air support. US Troops are disorganised and lack heavy weapons.
ORDER OF BATTLE
Regimental Battle Group:
1 COY Panther
1 COY PzIVJ / Tiger INF SUPPORT
1 COY WAFFEN SS INFANTRY
Attachments: 1 PLT ENGINEERS, 1 PLT SCOUTS, 1 PLT MECH MOTAR, 1 PLT MOTAR, 1 PLT Halftrack Gun
Transport Pool: Limited number of trucks and halftracks
ARTI SUPPORT: ROCKET BOMBARDMENT SUPPORT and HEAVY ARTI SUPPORT
SPECIAL ATTACHMENT: Brandenburg Team Operating Behind Enemy Lines (TOP SECRET)

US PLAYER
You command a supply garrison on the "Quiet Front". Most troops are regular and have been transferred to your command for a temporary period of rest.
Objectives: (1) Patrols (2) Organise the Christmas Banquet and Mass at the Church.
Weather: We are suffering terrible cold weather but the snow is welcomed by our troops. It should be very quiet in your sector which means a festive Christmas for the boys.
ORDER OF BATTLE
US Army Infantry Battalion:
x2 COY INFANTRY
Support Troops: Machine Guns and other
Attachments: Wolverine Tank Destroyer Company (Standby Reserves)
1 platoon of US Airborne (R&R)
TACTICAL ARTI: x2 25 pounder guns and x1 Rocket Mounted Sherman, and x2 81mm motar
MISC: Scouting Units and Engineering Units
HEAVY ARTI SUPPORT: NIL

* If you like the scenario please let me know. Feel free to post your comments on this thread. I'm thinking of a making a list of scenarios like this one which would be based on the battles of Peiper.

Good Hunting!

NOTES:
This is a new game and further adjustments will be needed. Please let me know if you find the game needs balancing in terms of units, objectives, and map.
Last edited by ERommel on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.
- Joachim Peiper

Richardg
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Richardg » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:47 am

The filename that comes up when you download "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... EIN_V2.LST" says it's "V1" - is that a typo?

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am

Richardg wrote:The filename that comes up when you download "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... EIN_V2.LST" says it's "V1" - is that a typo?
You are correct, there was a typo.

It is now fixed. Let me know if there are any issues.
- Joachim Peiper

guardsman
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by guardsman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Because of restarts and other things in life I am only starting on the new version. An initial comment from myself to ERommel was the amount of time used by German engineers to remove obstacles. Is there anyone further into game than I, just reached first obstacle with Engineers, to comment on this concern.

Thanks

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm

guardsman wrote:Because of restarts and other things in life I am only starting on the new version. An initial comment from myself to ERommel was the amount of time used by German engineers to remove obstacles. Is there anyone further into game than I, just reached first obstacle with Engineers, to comment on this concern.

Thanks
Hello,
You have 3 engineers.
Say you take 2 to 3 turns to get them in place on the road obstacle, another 2 turns to clear...it will take from 4 to 5 turns to open the main road providing that you can keep the enemy from making things difficult with infantry.
- Joachim Peiper

kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:59 am

In V1 I cleared quite a lot of tank traps, and maybe lost one team. So with 3 engineers you should be fine clearing obstacles, provided all other units are doing their job.

In V2 defending in a game I killed all German Engineer teams at various instances during the game forcing the German side to try its luck somewhere else. Compared to V1, in V2 the Germans are more-or-less boxed in, and it's more difficult to advance.

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 am

V3 is almost ready, minor fixes and some cosmetics stuff. V3 will also include the next scenario in the series, a German assault on a train depot.

I tweak the game a bit to make it a bit easier for the German player. Thinking of adding 1 more engineer.

Please note: If you rush in with your engineers without motar support expect them to get hit. One strategy is to give up a few turns by moving in with infantry first supported by motar support and an arti barrage just beyond the obstacle on the main road. I have been successful in breaking out in all matches so far. I don't want to make life too easy for the German side as this campaign is simulating the very harsh conditions that the Germans faced in this campaign.

Good Hunting.
- Joachim Peiper

guardsman

Post by guardsman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:14 pm

You may well have misunderstood my comment. I was not making any form of critique. I was merely asking players further advanced than myself their views on how engineers work my only concern is that because the engineers are of paramount importance they could be the single most important component of the game. I take on board KingT's comments regarding his destruction of the German Engineers.

Thanks for the response. I have several games open at the moment when do you anticipate releasing next update. The reason I ask is that I do not mind play testing any scenario you create but if you make it public and people start games up they may well become frustrated when after a week or so a revised edition is released. Again not a criticism just an observation.

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm

guardsman wrote:You may well have misunderstood my comment. I was not making any form of critique. I was merely asking players further advanced than myself their views on how engineers work my only concern is that because the engineers are of paramount importance they could be the single most important component of the game. I take on board KingT's comments regarding his destruction of the German Engineers.

Thanks for the response. I have several games open at the moment when do you anticipate releasing next update. The reason I ask is that I do not mind play testing any scenario you create but if you make it public and people start games up they may well become frustrated when after a week or so a revised edition is released. Again not a criticism just an observation.
Points well taken and yes I was worried that I was too quick with the updates. I have the next version ready plus the next 2 scenarios for the Peiper campaign as well. I will release when I have completed the play testing matches I have open. These matches will also provide me with feedback on final tweaking. I expect the next release to be about 2 weeks from now. I'm at about turn 15 at the moment. My main force is at the left of the map having cleared the small forested area with the small bridge. Setting up to cross the frozen river. To be honest I don't think I will need the engineers going forward. I'm at about the same point in all 5 matches I have going.

My timetable, avg of 5 games playing Germany

Clear main road obstacle. 25 turns left
Bridge bottomed left side. 20 turns left
Getting read to cross the long bridge left side. 15 turns left

It does appear that the german side needs to be given another 5 turns or more extra in the next version.
- Joachim Peiper

guardsman

Post by guardsman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:17 pm

I would like to be involved I any play test. As you realise I do play test several options against myself and I am open to critique. As you guessed I have previous military experience sometimes it helps other times not. I have to say from experience I prefer this world to RL. :?

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”