EROMMEL'S "WACHT AM RHEIN" CAMPAIGN

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: EROMMEL'S "WACHT AM RHEIN" CAMPAIGN

Post by Navaronegun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Well, in RL any "changes" would take 3-5 years to implement. "Tweaks" a fiscal year, at least. :)
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

guardsman
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by guardsman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:13 am

It's going back far too many years that I would like to admit but RL military was shall we say on occasions "bumpy" whereas BA removes us from all the messy horrible stuff. :?

ERommel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ERommel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 pm

War would be more enjoyable without the bloodshed, pain, and misery while being conducted with a beer in hand and a bag of potato chips to snack on while the enemy makes his move :mrgreen:

I need to counter the infamous "trick" or what I like to call cheat of BA: unload infantry, attack, and reload on the Halftrack for protection during the other player's turn. I really hate this trick and have plenty of times dropped a game against dudes that rely on it as a major games tactic.

I just got nailed by it once again just now. The player has his engineers loaded on half tracks, unloads, attacks, and back on for protection. And since there is no movement penalty for loading, he can move the vehicle far enough from my infantry that I can't even attack with a bazooka. Experienced players know this bug in BA. Some avoid it and some believe all is fair in the gamey gamers world.

To counter this trick I will replace all halftracks with trucks. The trick can still be done of course but it becomes a bit more dangerous to pull it off with trucks. What do you think?
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

guardsman

Post by guardsman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Oh yes yes yes

The idea of the invincible half track drove me insane. I appreciate that this is merely a game is ok. However half tracks running towards unknown defence would drive my officers towards madness.

kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I say no no no :)

I only use the "trick" when I'm certain that I won't encounter resistance and usually to finish a unit off, which means it already has low morale. It can't be done all the time because if there's anything left with morale to still shoot would either a) kill the halftrack when approaching, which would result in unloaded troops which can't fire, b) shoot at unloaded troops, which may not be able to remount the half track and may be stuck in their tile depending on damage taken. Now, if I know nobody is firing at me from anywhere close by, I can do the same thing with trucks, and load back the team so it's ready for next turn.

I agree that it should be fixed in BA, but until then since both players can use the same kind move in same conditions, it doesn't give any side the edge. It's just another move that can be made.

Also you'd have to remove the halftracks for both parties and the jeeps just to avoid this one. It could also stall some games, because (spoiler alert) I tend to target transports with whatever fire I have at my disposal, and trucks are basically sitting ducks as they very rarely escape fire.

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 pm

ERommel wrote: To counter this trick I will replace all halftracks with trucks. The trick can still be done of course but it becomes a bit more dangerous to pull it off with trucks. What do you think?

Just write a script where it costs 2 AP to Load/Unload. In a 15 minute-20 minute turn an INF type unit could certainly load, attack, and reembark. And there is certainly historical precedent. A lot in fact. But that should cost AP. Secondly, it's not that "gamey". If the unit takes fire and is suppressed, he is a sitting duck. Calculated risk.

Nav
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

guardsman

Post by guardsman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:59 am

I suppose it depends on circumstances. I can tell only from experience in that an infantry section, without direct supervision, could take hours to get Into an APV. Men being men and turning it into their cave :D However in a contact situation I have seen a vehicle cleared, with crew served weapons in seconds.

I do not think that the APV, during the second war, was designed as an assault weapon. It was merely a troop carrier and was fitted with MGs for aircraft defence.

I suppose in the design of the game the designers wanted a method of movement to facilitate troops being moved around the playing area and there it is. I suppose if they had used horse drawn transport, as the Germans primarily did, some enterprising gamer would have modded cavalry with mounted MGs .

It all comes down to how much historical reality is put in before it stops being a game.

guardsman

Post by guardsman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:30 am

Just a thought. Hedgerows that are impassable to infantry? Most PBI that I knew could,given time get through most things but you have built in steel hedges. What about the idea of using Arty to clear paths! They tried it all the time in the First War. Got a little bit effective in the latter part with the instantaneous fuse. Best not dwell on the first attempts :?

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:31 pm

guardsman wrote:I suppose it depends on circumstances. I can tell only from experience in that an infantry section, without direct supervision, could take hours to get Into an APV. Men being men and turning it into their cave :D However in a contact situation I have seen a vehicle cleared, with crew served weapons in seconds.

I do not think that the APV, during the second war, was designed as an assault weapon. It was merely a troop carrier and was fitted with MGs for aircraft defence.

I suppose in the design of the game the designers wanted a method of movement to facilitate troops being moved around the playing area and there it is. I suppose if they had used horse drawn transport, as the Germans primarily did, some enterprising gamer would have modded cavalry with mounted MGs .

It all comes down to how much historical reality is put in before it stops being a game.
I agree. If they are kitted up and prepared for contact the INf could do it and disembark in 2 to 5 min if it is " go time". An APC getting "next to" a unit in game terms is getting 50 to 100m from a known enemy position. That is reasonable.

Nav

Commanderpatton
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Commanderpatton » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:59 am

I don't know if my version is old but mine is Secure the Bridges Version 2.0 and my version doesn't have any engineer tanks or 81mm mortars for the Americans or shermans fitted with rockets or the brandenburger jeep and infantry can ride the mortar halftracks. Just sayin' to see if my version is the new version. Thanks

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Commanderpatton wrote:I don't know if my version is old but mine is Secure the Bridges Version 2.0 and my version doesn't have any engineer tanks or 81mm mortars for the Americans or shermans fitted with rockets or the brandenburger jeep and infantry can ride the mortar halftracks. Just sayin' to see if my version is the new version. Thanks
Sounds to me like you have the older version. Hang on for a bit...I have the next version ready and simply waiting for Slitherine to increase the number of Multiplayer games allowed to be opened before sending out the update. I have several games ready for release and since they are still BETA I need to play test with you guys.

I will send out an PM to you when the updates are ready.

Cheers!
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

Commanderpatton

Post by Commanderpatton » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Sure. I have a suggestion though, how about using some of the 76mm AT guns from the new Fortress Metz

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 am

Commanderpatton wrote:Sure. I have a suggestion though, how about using some of the 76mm AT guns from the new Fortress Metz
I have spent about 20 hours last week developing scenarios and upgrading those in progress. I also purchased the recent Metz addition although I doubt I will play it. I did it to support Battle Academy.

To be honest, I'm disappointed with the lack of care I see in customer service. I've asked that the limit of 20 be increased to 40. Very reasonable considering the points I made in my request. The response was somewhat nonchalant and I was reminded that the limit of 20 was fine with everyone. The reason that the previous status quo was fine with everyone including scenario developers was not that there was a max of 20 but that there was no max whatsoever. They seem clueless to the fact that Battle Academy has had NO LIMIT for at least the previous year and not just a few weeks as they implied.

Ridiculous! Management needs to step in and consider customer service a priority.
- Joachim Peiper

Commanderpatton

Post by Commanderpatton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Sorry for the mistake, I do have the US mortars but I don't have the others I previously mentioned

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:02 am

Commanderpatton wrote:Sorry for the mistake, I do have the US mortars but I don't have the others I previously mentioned
No problem Commanderpatton. Thanks for testing my new scenarios btw.
I have several updates and new scenarios ready for playing. I'm waiting for Slitherine to do the right thing by increasing the number Multiplayer scenarios allowed to be played (was unlimited for at least a year but was suddenly limited to 20 last week. 20 is simply not enough in my opinion...especially for game developers.)

I'll send you an email once they are ready for download. Hopefully Slitherine will do the right thing soon.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 pm

guardsman wrote:I would like to be involved I any play test. As you realise I do play test several options against myself and I am open to critique. As you guessed I have previous military experience sometimes it helps other times not. I have to say from experience I prefer this world to RL. :?
Hello, I will add you to the list! I'm waiting at the moment for Slitherine to do the right thing and fix that ridiculous new policy of no more than 20 multigames. I simply cannot manage all the games I have created and those I am creating on such a restrictive number. I'm still waiting for a reply from pip. Looks like I might be waiting a while.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Hello,

I have updated my Kampfgruppe Peiper Campaign. 8 new scenarios for you to try!

I will also be updating my Wacht am Rhein scenario soon. I will post it here when it is ready. Basically the same scenario but with updated scripts and a bit of landscaping on the map.

Here is where you will find the new Peiper Campaign Update
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=46897
- Joachim Peiper

nsteen
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by nsteen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:03 am

I've followed the download directions for ipad to the letter for v.2 - I get a very brief flash of "download is starting" but nothing happens. I have the iPad Air running iOS 7.1.

Can anyone provide some assistance?

Nick S.

Monsoeren
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Monsoeren » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Second that. Would like to give this scenario a go but no luck downloading. I am on iPad Air and iOS 7.1 as well.

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:00 am

I dropped the project due to a lack of appreciation and respect from the admin personnel of this forum.
- Joachim Peiper

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”