Breitenfeld Game

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

nickdives
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Breitenfeld Game

Post by nickdives »

Gents,

I am preparing to play this 27/28 Dec and after a little advice, Daniel S are you there?!!!

I am using a bit of work that Daniel S produced and although this means I have a fairly good orbat etc the troop ratings are not obvious. As far as the Swedes are concerned of the infantry 1 unit will be elite, 4 superior and the rest Average.

Now the Cavalry, bearing in mind some of the discussions I have read, any idea what proportion of the Cav should be Superior, Average or even elite?

The Saxon Cuirassiers I will have one as superior, the rest of the Cav Average. Infantry will have one average unit and the rest poor. The infantry in 9 base late "tercio"

The nasty vile left footers!

I am not sure what proportion should be superior and what Average, indeed Elite or poor. Also it looks like the infantry should be in 9 base late "Tercio"

Any ideas?
nickdives

Post by nickdives »

No respopnce yet, except Bob, cheers for that.

I think that I will make all of the Saxon units 6 base and poor, except one average. This should make the saxons fragile!
Piker
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Piker »

It does. That is exactly what we did with our Saxons. They actually stood for several turns before routing.
nickdives

Post by nickdives »

Two of us managed Bretenfeld to a conclusion with the Swedes and Saxons giving ther Imperial Scum quite a good kicking! The orbats were based on information from Daniel S although we redeployed the Swedish Dragoons guarding the baggage to their right flank. With:

FOG(R) Early Swedish Bde = A Bde
FOG(R) 9 base P&S = An Imperial "Tercio"
FOG(R) 6 base P&S = Saxon Inf Bde (All poor bar 1 ave)
1 Base Cav/horse etc = 100 men (worked so that we had 4 base units) and 2 bases Med Shotte = Commanded shot unit

We really needed the 12 x 6 table!

The game started quickly with a triple advance by the Imperial left, advance in the centre and a slight shift to the right on the Imperial right. The aim was to win the Cav fight on the left and defeat the Saxons on the Right, deploying 4 Inf formations to support the Cavalry on the right. The Swedes reacted and some good gunnery saw a couple of Imperial cavalry units on the right soon reduced by 50%.

The main Cav battle soon erupted, with one unit of Finns doing well and the other being destroyed. On the right the Imperial Cav were held by the Saxons, as Imperial Foot units struggled to support. Meanwhile the Infantry in the centre began to close, Imperial musketry taking its toll but on avarage in the Impact the Swedes still had 7 die vs the Imperial 6. The 3 Swdeish Superior units were unstopable, however the elite Yellows lost both impact and melee, they managed to hold on for a couple of moves in which GA was killed! and were lucky that whilst they were fragmented the unit they were fighting also became fragmented and routed as the units either side were routed! This was the collapse of the Imperial centre and with the Imperials held by the Saxons and the Cavaly battle on the other flank at a stale mate, in favour of the Swedes we called it a Swedish victory.

A good game, with the Swedes often frustrated by appalling dice we had a good result. We saw elite units hampered by awfull dice, Superior Imperial Cavalry successfully defeating a poor Saxon P&S unit and the futility of charging steady horse with P&S!

The last move with the Imperial Centre in rout and the last Imperial Cuirassier unit about to be hit in the flank. The luckless Poles (The two 6 base Medium foot Shotte units were made up of Poles!) about to disperse!

The opening stages from the Swedish Right Flanbk

The Saxons - Will they stay or will they go now

Other photos are at,

http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz122/nickdives/ I have not been able to put the in the Breitenfeld album!

Return to “Historical Scenarios”