Osprey Campain Series

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

davbenbak
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Osprey Campain Series

Post by davbenbak »

Some of the Osprey Campain Series books have a little "Wargaming the Battle" section on the last few pages. They feature a DBR break down of the units involved. I wonder if they will do something similar moving forward now with FOG and FOGR? I would certainly buy something that featured several battles of an era, say English Civil War, that included basic table maps and troop/unit desciptions. Is there a better forum for this question?
pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Osprey Campain Series

Post by pyruse »

It shouldn't be hard at all to convert the DBR OOB to FoG:R.
The DBR stuff will be in terms of elements - easy enough to convert that to units.
DBR Pistols are Fog:R Horse or Determined horse, everything else converts straight across.
davbenbak

Post by davbenbak »

I actually emailed the editors at Osprey Publishing asking them if it would be possibile to publish a FOG and FOGR series containing a series of battle for a particular period much like they do with the army list books for tournament play. I haven't heard anything back yet.
RonanTheLibrarian
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

davbenbak wrote:Some of the Osprey Campain Series books have a little "Wargaming the Battle" section on the last few pages.
Are they still including that? I thought they stopped that section about 10-12 years ago.
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
Buzz0000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Buzz0000 »

Do you think it would be possible to do this anyway as an offline sheet that FOG-R enthusiasts could circulate amongst themselves? I would welcome comparing notes.

I recently did this for Edgehill and Marston Moor and am about to do it for Naseby as part of my trilogy of ECW refights. I used a range of men to figure ratios for the units and then adjusted to fit the 6 base minimum for Foot etc required for FOG-R which does force a bit of a compromise requiring some unit amalgamations but retaining the appropriate proportionality of the opposing sides.

For Marton Moor due to figure availability and table size (11' x 5')) it was necessary to use a 1:33 ratio to get the Army Lists. For Naseby, I will likely use 1:20 and play "up" the table (5' x 6'6") as recommended by Stuart Asquith (in "The Campaign of Naseby 1645, Osprey Wargames 1). Also, some judicious use of Quality (and occasionally Armour) ratings is used to offset strengths and balance against historical outcomes when Scenario planning seems to work in slightly tipping the balance (not withstanding the role of the die!).

I recently published my write up of the Marston Moor refight (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd7o9dzeztfyz ... s.pdf?dl=0) which goes into a little more detail. I also have the base ratio calculations and the FOG-R points listings as well for anyone who is interested.

David

Return to “Historical Scenarios”