Restricted Zone ?

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Restricted Zone ?

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:47 pm

A bg of Reiters trots up to a Pike and Shot enemy BG exactly 2 Mu's away and thus gets to blaze away with pistols the next shooting phase..... Are the Reiters(and the PS Bg , assume its not a keil) pinned in the next maneuver phase? If no, because they are exactly 2 Mu's away but not "within" 2 MU's ? Would the very act of say wheeling cause them to then be in the restricted zone (and subject to restricions or is it starting the maneuver phase in the restricted zone?)

Just trying to work out the feasability of trotting pistol shooting reiter types to square off say vs a late Tercio type unit... Seems like an ok proposition at ist, if the pistolleers are 2x3 they will have equal # of shooting dice vs a 3pike 6shot LTercio and at the same - POA...... Problem is if they are pinned the Reiters are basically stuck until they either charge or are charged.... then they are able to break off their full movement if things go poorly.....

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Page 175, Within 'At or closer than'.

hood_mick
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by hood_mick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes they are both restricted. Glossary of terms, bottom of page 175; Within.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks, never thought the word "within" would have a definition in the glossery :wink:

This following is an observation (in no way a critique) Seems pistoleer cavalry (specifically reiters) thus really need to come at an angle or flank to effectively use their shooting ability vs infantry , unless they want to become pinned and bank on the dice for winning any impact or mellee combat.... Intersting that disrupted horse in close combat can break off a full movement and face there opponents but reiters in pistol range have no hope to escape being pinned.. Of course they can do a 180 but cant move and will most definaltely take one up the rear... Hmmm seems using them in pairs would be ok except point wise that isnt really an option... Of course i realize that reiter tactics were short lived (relatively) for a reason :D
Cheers!

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Are the reiters classes as horse? If so they could evade the charge, which almost seems like what they would like to do. However coming in at an angle might give you more shooting dice vs the shot on that side of the tercio so might make more sense too.

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Key thing to remember is that adding more shooting to the tercio was the evolution response to the Reiter. The Reiter is not intended to trade shoots with foot, rather it is intended to blow hole in a pike block with little or no shooting power. Tell the Reiter BG to go play with something other than a LT woud be my advice.

hood_mick

Post by hood_mick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Horse cannot evade.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 pm

timmy1 wrote:Key thing to remember is that adding more shooting to the tercio was the evolution response to the Reiter. The Reiter is not intended to trade shoots with foot, rather it is intended to blow hole in a pike block with little or no shooting power. Tell the Reiter BG to go play with something other than a LT woud be my advice.
Dont get me wrong , i completley realise/agree w that , although it does surprise me that a 2x6 formation of reiters actually has the same missle power (dice and poa vs a typical LT) (assume reiters and the pike are armoured) The reiters get 4 dice in that formation and will get a - poa because they will be fighting vs un armoured not armoured as an equal or > # of foot bases will be the shot in the front rank) The Lt has 4 bases that shoot also at a -. Really the only thing that makes it less desirable from the persective of the reiters is they are more likly to test cohsion for shooting as they have fewer bases. i kinda assumed in game terms placing pistol reiters in front of a late tercio would result in very bad things happening to the Reiters very quickly from shooting alone.

KiwiWarlord
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Reiter Vs Swedes

Post by KiwiWarlord » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
timmy1 wrote:Key thing to remember is that adding more shooting to the tercio was the evolution response to the Reiter. The Reiter is not intended to trade shoots with foot, rather it is intended to blow hole in a pike block with little or no shooting power. Tell the Reiter BG to go play with something other than a LT woud be my advice.
Dont get me wrong , i completley realise/agree w that , although it does surprise me that a 2x6 formation of reiters actually has the same missle power (dice and poa vs a typical LT) (assume reiters and the pike are armoured) The reiters get 4 dice in that formation and will get a - poa because they will be fighting vs un armoured not armoured as an equal or > # of foot bases will be the shot in the front rank) The Lt has 4 bases that shoot also at a -. Really the only thing that makes it less desirable from the persective of the reiters is they are more likly to test cohsion for shooting as they have fewer bases. i kinda assumed in game terms placing pistol reiters in front of a late tercio would result in very bad things happening to the Reiters very quickly from shooting alone.
Try two Reiter, 2x6 BGs, against a Swedish Brigade, 8 dice vs 2 dice. Should be good for the Reiter.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:23 pm

I've been using:

4 base BG of Horse (arm/ave/carbine/pistol)
2 base BG commanded shot (ave/muskets)
4 base BG of HOrse (as above)

so 5 bases wide running up to a 3 base wide Royalist P/S BG (6 bases). Since they usually run with a base wide or more between the P/S BGs, I get 8 dices vs 3 if musket* ! :twisted:

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:57 am

Only helps him out if I roll too many 1's...... which seems to be happening more frequently.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 am

Ya ya...

Wait until next time when they'll ride onto the battlefield last and you won't be able to plunk your atillery in front of them :P

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Or I swap out the arty for some other troops and can extend my lines from one table edge to the next, that should slow them down :twisted:

Return to “Rules Questions”