Fake hussars

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

expendablecinc
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Fake hussars

Post by expendablecinc »

The Polish list in clash of empires can have one BG of fake Hussars that are deployed as mounted hussars models and can go on the wings.

Do they move as mounted hussars till they are 6 inches away or the moment you do a complex move (for mob) are you giving the game away.?
Anthony
NeoAssyrian, Spartan, Scythian, Later Seleucid, Parthian, Thematic Byzantine, Latin Greek, Later Hungarian
gibby
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gibby »

We have played they move as mob. On the other hand you can use real hussars and move them as mob..
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

On the occasions I have used them, I move the entire mounted wing 5" with 2 generals attached.

Personally I feel that the Mob should be allowed to move attached to other mounted troops for a total of 5" per move maximum to give the illusion that they are Hussars, after all isn't that what they were intended for.

The other way is to have them form a 2nd line, so they move up as in support. The real bugger is when you try to use them in the Later Polish list, you need a 3rd bg of Petyhorsey/Pancerni/Cossacks to give the impression they are real rather than fakes.

On the other hand, at least you have an excuse to field 3 beautifully painted units rather than 2 of the best looking figures in the game.
MatteoPasi
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by MatteoPasi »

Scrumpy wrote:On the occasions I have used them, I move the entire mounted wing 5" with 2 generals attached.

Personally I feel that the Mob should be allowed to move attached to other mounted troops for a total of 5" per move maximum to give the illusion that they are Hussars, after all isn't that what they were intended for.

The other way is to have them form a 2nd line, so they move up as in support. The real bugger is when you try to use them in the Later Polish list, you need a 3rd bg of Petyhorsey/Pancerni/Cossacks to give the impression they are real rather than fakes.

On the other hand, at least you have an excuse to field 3 beautifully painted units rather than 2 of the best looking figures in the game.
They are a mob concealed with fake hussars cloths, they move, manouvre end test as pooe mob
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

MatteoPasi wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:On the occasions I have used them, I move the entire mounted wing 5" with 2 generals attached.

They are a mob concealed with fake hussars cloths, they move, manouvre end test as poor mob

I believe this to be correct.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Not disputing they were sheep in wolf's clothing, but from a distance they looked like they moved as a group with the real ones didn't they ?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

IIRC the tactic was used just once, and I don't recall any detail that would allow you to say they moved at full cavalry speed - after all they can move as a group (sort of) with real hussars at Mob speed. Things used once, allowed generally for a bit of a giggle, don't get much benefit of doubt.

Move as Mob!
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

nikgaukroger wrote:IIRC the tactic was used just once, and I don't recall any detail that would allow you to say they moved at full cavalry speed - after all they can move as a group (sort of) with real hussars at Mob speed. Things used once, allowed generally for a bit of a giggle, don't get much benefit of doubt.

Move as Mob!
Honestly, the author probably made a mistake to include this gimmick in the list at all, much less the starter army. Seems to be the "flaming pigs" of the Renaissance.
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Which battle were they used in then ? Both Polish lists have the option of Fake Hussars.
quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by quackstheking »

Of course you can do as I did. I deployed a battlegroup of real hussars quite a way back and moved them at only 3MU's for the first 3 turns, so they simulated "Fake Hussars". My opponant wasn't sure therefore if they were real hussars or mob!! At the appropriate time a general joined them and they deplyed rapidly at 15MU's a go as real hussars - double bluff :D

Next time if I deploy deep hussars, the question will be - "do you feel lucky today?" :lol:
jefritrout
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jefritrout »

I also deploy all my hussars deep and move them all 3" or 6" with a general. That way it keeps my opponent guessing which one is the fake and which is the real. Scrumpy - Walt let you move the fakes 5" and in a group?
That's a bit suprising. He kept watching me like a hawk all games to try to determine which one moved more than 3" as a tell.
GHGAustin
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by GHGAustin »

Another suggestion in your group was to deploy them rather earlier than your real Hussars, maybe in the 3rd group. This leads your opponent to think this is the first of your Hussars and maybe he reacts in his deployment. Then deploy your real Hussars to better advantage.
Rob Smith
Great Hall Games
Austin, TX
www.greathallminis.com
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Jhykronos wrote:
nikgaukroger wrote:IIRC the tactic was used just once, and I don't recall any detail that would allow you to say they moved at full cavalry speed - after all they can move as a group (sort of) with real hussars at Mob speed. Things used once, allowed generally for a bit of a giggle, don't get much benefit of doubt.

Move as Mob!
Honestly, the author probably made a mistake to include this gimmick in the list at all, much less the starter army. Seems to be the "flaming pigs" of the Renaissance.
True, but the list needs filler so I think this works.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

It would have been nice for game-play if little things like this had been added somehow to other lists. Having run NMA a fair bit, it would have been nice to have a couple little options just to spice up the game a bit now and then.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Well to add color we allow Scrumpy to take any Monty Python unit he wants. Some day he will take the Jabberwocky, but for now he keeps taking the PJF Crack Suicide Squad and puts them to good effect. Last week they served alongside his Iroquois.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Maybe a 2pak of elite poodle pie cooks!
abivor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Fake hussars

Post by abivor »

They were used in the Battle of Warsaw in 1656 (so belong in the Later Polish Lithuanian list). If I remember the accounts of the battle correctly they stood on a rise and looked threatening. I don't recall them being used in any other engagement.

Return to “Rules Questions”