Quick Question On Voluntary Break Off

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

iversonjm
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Quick Question On Voluntary Break Off

Post by iversonjm » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Can a unit that is fighting only in overlap voluntarily break off if the unit that it is overlapping meets the requisite criteria? If I recall the rule says that breakoffs are triggered by "opponents" but it is not clear that a unit that is fighting only in overlap has one of those.

quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Quick Question On Voluntary Break Off

Post by quackstheking » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 am

Although the circumstances on p.138 detailing when break offs occur doesn't cover overlaps, on p69 there is a comprehensive list of circumstances when units in overlap can move from an overlap position. In this section it doesn't say they can move away from overlap via a break off and on the basis that the rules generally tell you what you can do, I would rule that units fighting only in overlap cannot break off. After all if the unit fighting breaks off, there is no overlap!

In addition not allowing such break offs does seem the right thing to do! :D

Don

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:19 am

The last option listed on page 69 is "or continue to fight against its existing opponent in the next melee phase". Since this qualifies the BG it is fighting against as its "opponent", this should qualify it to break off from its opponent as described on page 138 if it meets the conditions listed there, e.g. it is fragmented mounted troops and the opponent it is fighting against in overlap is steady foot.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:01 am

Having now read pages 69 and 138, I've come to the opposite conclusion to Chris. I don't think P69 is relevant as it details the circumstances in which an overlapping BG can move away in the Impact or Manoeuvre phases.

What I think is relevant are the conditions on P138 applying to break-offs that, regardless of the state of the overlapping BG, define the close combat opponents from which they may break off and specify that "In each case count only enemy front rank bases in contact other than only as an overlap" (my emphasis).

Since a BG fighting only as an overlap has no bases "in contact other than only as an overlap" there are no opponents from whom it may break off.

iversonjm
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by iversonjm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

I think he's got you there Chris.

(Told you so :P )

Return to “Rules Questions”