Command and Control - Divisions & Keils

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Shamus2d6
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Command and Control - Divisions & Keils

Post by Shamus2d6 »

Page 42 Bullet 2. I am particularly interested to clarify the point for the Keil in terms of base width seperation, though it would also he;p understand the other units. A battlegroup must be seperated by 1bw in a division unless it is a Keil etc. I can see that two Keils can be next to each other without the gap and possibly a keil and light foot could be next to each other without a gap etc. But please can someone help me understand if this is true; does it mean a keil could be in base to base contact with gendarmes, impact foot, medium foot etc and the group still be considered a division if all other conditions allow. Many thanks !
Shamus2d6

Re: Command and Control - Divisions & Keils

Post by Shamus2d6 »

I think I have not been clear enough and appreciate a clarification. Let me ask the following question.

A Keil pike block adjacent to both a medium infantry on one flank and medium arquebus on the other flank all facing the same direction.. Can these three units, organised as described count as a division or do they need to be one base width apart to qualify?

I could ask the same question about the light foot exception as well; more of you are likely to have this unit type.

The rules are particular about commanded shot however when we talk about the other examples I don't know whether this means the exceptions can only be adjacent to their own type or different types of unit. For example I know that keils operated closely with arquebus so would have thought they could be adjacent but am not sure the rules allow it.

Any help would be appreciated as I am giving the rules an outing again on thursday.
Shamus2d6

Post by Shamus2d6 »

In my one sided conversation - but for the benefit of others with the same confusion the general errata that can be found on BHGS clears this question up for me.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Sorry I missed this earlier. However, happy to see you have found the answer.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
Shamus2d6

Post by Shamus2d6 »

Thankyou Nik. No worries. It is interesting that Landsnecht Light Arquebusier can be less than one base width apart from a Keil.. Later developemnt of firearm use sees medium foot allowed in their place that then have to be a base width apart. These have the same points value are harder hitting but less flexible. Is there anything I can read to undertstand the rationale more?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Not sure I can point you at anything. The 1 base is really about getting the table top looking right - like period woodcuts. In reality gaps were usually much larger where they existed - however, this mechanism balanced look and feel with a playable way of doing things that wouldn't feel totally odd to gamers.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “Rules Questions”