Is it really the rules or is it...

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

steads
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Is it really the rules or is it...

Post by steads »

madaxeman wrote: How would a "let's agree a draw as you clearly would be mad to come out and attack my mounted army on this plain, and I'm not assaulting that defensive position in the corner surrounded by terrain that you've dug yourself into" play out?
In my opinion you have several possibilities
1] Except a bottom score for the round (Fine by everybody else)
2] Come up with a cunning plan to tempt the other player to make a mistake by sacrificing not to much but just enough (Exciting for both of you)
3] Don't bring such a monochrome one-dimensional army in the first place (Maybe only a little twist that turns an OK army into a great army)
urbanbunny1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by urbanbunny1 »

How about an even simpler points scoring?

1 point for every base killed

that's it.

:-)

So, if you go soft and call a draw, you get nothing.

This would force you to have a go and actually play the game which is half the point!
Paulkit0
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Paulkit0 »

Simon that works in favour of high point/ base small armies where the max you can get is the number of bases the person has in his army so a 50 base army is worth 50 if you kill it a 100 base army 100.

But I do like the basic concept. So how about 1 point per % of enemy army units killed at the end of the game - (with fragmented units counting half).

Essentially this is the system we use now but without the deduction for your own losses. This makes aggressive play and risk taking aimed at winning much more of a driver.

So a result where you both loose 48 % of the both armies is 48-48 (OK it's still a draw but a really hard fought one). A draw where neither side fights (lets call it a draw) which we've all participated in at least once or twice is 0-0). Both of these would currently be 10-10. I wonder which would be the more fun to play?

The 48-48 where someone is pushes over the line to win becomes a 100 vs 48 score.

P
urbanbunny1

Post by urbanbunny1 »

that could work.
DavidT
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by DavidT »

In Ireland, for DBM, when everyone was using the 10-0 scoring system, we didn't like it as it didn't award winning enough - it was possible to win a competition by getting good winning draws.
So we used the same system but gave a 100 point bonus if you broke the opponent's army.
If you wanted to win the competition, you had to go out there and try to break the enemy - it suited our aggressive Irish nature and worked very well.

FOG-R has something similar in the +5 points for breaking the opponent's army - you just need to increase this a bit.

Return to “Tournaments ”