PBEM++ Question

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

george420
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

PBEM++ Question

Post by george420 »

Haven't played a PBEM game yet, not yet clear on how it works. Can you still play an Email game even if the PBEM++ server is down for some reason? thanks
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: PBEM++ Question

Post by Pixel »

PBEM++ uses your Slitherine account login information and a centralized server to help facilitate the exchange of the turn files. Some games just have the PBEM++ system. In this case the multiplayer is tied to there being a server there to connect to. It is super convenient and easy to use and by default still has the server send you a notification via email when it is your turn to play. But it does lack the manual control over the turn files that plain old PBEM allows.

Although, some games may offer other forms of multiple player modes like Hot-seat or Steam Remote Play (assuming the game in question has a steam version and supports it).

Other games also have regular old PBEM (exchange the files manually via email or a cloud file storage folder that you share with your opponent manually).

Some games offer both regular old PBEM (manually exchange emails with the turn files) and PBEM++ (server based). This is the best of both worlds but only a few games offer both options. Note that games started with the server based PBEM++ you can't simply switch mid-game to regular old PBEM assuming the game you are playing has both.

The way the PBEM++ system works is that you go to Multiplayer in the game log in to the server with your Slitherine account details and typically you are presented with a UI that has a number of tabs for managing your games.

TLDR: Depends on the game. If the game only supports server based (PBEM++) where the server handles the exchange of the turn files you can't play games started using that when / if the server is down.

NB: You may still be able to play hot-seat if the game supports that and there are various third party tools that can facilitate remote play (Parsec, Steam Remote Play, etc.) although these involve streaming / screen sharing the game with your opponent using separate software.
Image Image
george420

Post by george420 »

Thanks for quick reply, that answered my questions.
george420

Post by george420 »

One more question since I'm at it. In PBEM++ does each player have to have his/her own game, can they share a game with the same serial#. Though no fan of DRM I'm a strong proponent of supporting the hobby and not giving your game away since that would lead to the eventual disappearance of our hobby. I'm asking this question out of curiosity, thanks.
justis
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by justis »

Hi, I also have the same question
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Each PBEM player needs their own copy of the game.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
elxaime
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by elxaime »

To Slitherine:

Will in-game player-to-player (or groups of players) private messaging functionality ever be added? Right now, players have to share emails and conduct diplomacy that way as a work-around, since in-game messages go to and are seen by everyone.

Best,
James

Return to “Game Ideas”