Wargame that hides stats

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

neil123
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Wargame that hides stats

Post by neil123 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm

I have been gaming for many years, (early 70's), and have done figure, board and PC. During that time I have noticed that many war gamers seem to love stats. See any game and the strategy discussion invariably boils down to effective combination's of units etc based on stats, not on how they were historically used/performed.

For me, this somehow becomes a bit soulless. I never fancied accountancy, and like my profession (Project management) it all seems to have become less "hand on" and more a branch of accountancy. I would love to see a turn based wargame (like FOG) where all the stats and calcs were completly hidden, and you then had to

a) base your ideas on how to use units based on historical knowledge (i.e dont take your phalanx into woods)
b) As you play enhance through your experiance how to use units.

After all one of the main benefits of computers should be to handle all such calculation and leave us free to play strategy and tactics.

I must admit, its a pipe dream, I doubt anyone would consider such a project, as it would prevent accountants ruling the world! :evil:

but.......

carlos
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by carlos » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:12 am

I don't understand, there are loads of games w/ hidden stats and mechanics, in fact most of them are not as detailed as FoG PC is. IIRC the Total War series just had some general info on each unit (e.g. strong charge or long-ranged archery fire) and then everything else was behind the scenes.

neil123
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by neil123 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 am

Ok, I will clarify - by war game I mean the traditional type of wargame Like FOG, SSG's Korsen Pocket et al, that have their roots generally in the board game style. They will most probably be therefore turn based and hex based.

Return to “Game Ideas”