Remaking AWD

Got a great idea for a game - why not post it here!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Wargamer74
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Remaking AWD

Post by Wargamer74 »

I think a great game idea would be seeing GG’s AWD remade. Matrix, Slitherine might be reluctant to remake a game that doesn’t seem to sell well in its current state and isn’t too popular but I believe the reasons has nothing to do with the actual game design. The game is a real gem and for those who enjoy grand strategy similar to Axis and Allies it’s one of the best games of this type ever made. It’s a great WWII simulation that doesn’t take weeks to play through; it’s realistic from a abstracted point of view, and on the surface it may look simple but it’s actually very deep with a lot of complex die rolls being made under the hood.

The problem I feel is the presentation of the game and the game engine. To be honest a lot of the artwork that comes with the game looks like complete garbage, the UI isn’t bad looking but feels very clunky and bugs that have never been addressed or fixed. I’ve tried to fix a few of these issues in my own mods for the game but a official remake would be great with a new game engine and artwork similar to what Panzer Corps has. In my opinion one of the reasons for the success of PC is the professional looking artwork that comes with the game, of course gameplay should always come first but what makes PC so good is it combines good gameplay with excellent artwork.

Edit: I don't mean to be so harsh about the artwork but it really is disappointing that such a great game design is overlooked by so many potential buyers who would like a game of this type because they won't pay premium prices for a game that comes with icons that look so amateurish. In the end it hurts the other people who really like this game such as myself because it equals a dead forum and no one doing any mods and the company who made it provides no support or updates whatsoever. There's only a few games of this type on the market and like I said is one of the best ever made like this but the way the game looks and the UI hurts the popularity of the game.

What it needs is:
1. Better artwork for the map and icons.
2. An updated AI, the original developers refused to ever do anything about this.
3. A more streamlined UI with the game rules and what's going on under the hood being made more transparent, for the average player some of the rules can be quite complex.
4. An improved game engine, the current game engine can be buggy with sloppy coding and I believe may have memory leaks. Also with native support for higher resolutions.

Return to “Game Ideas”