2nd FGH'40 Tournament

Forum for the organisation of official and user tournaments or leagues.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

2nd FGH'40 Tournament

Post by cavehobbit »

Hi all,

Welcome to the 2nd Fall Gelb: Hannut 1940 (FGH'40) Tournament.

Like the first tournament it will be run in three stages: Group games, semifinals and the grand final. To make sure the tournament won't keep on forever there's a quite strict timetable to follow: group games 13 September to 25 October (6 weeks); semifinals 26 October to 9 November (2 weeks); and the final 10 November to 23 November (2 weeks). The goal is for the tournament to end before Christmas, so it is possible to extend the group game phase another 1 or 2 weeks if needed. If all games in a stage is finished before deadline we could move on quicker.
There will be 4 groups. Each group will consist of 3-4 players, depending on the total number of participants. Max number of players will be 16, i.e. 4 groups. Which player will play in which group will be randomly decided.
I plan to participate, if not all places are filled.

There are a total of 4 maps in the map pack used in this tournament. 2 maps for the group games, 1 map for the semifinals and 1 map for the final. Which maps will be used in each stage will be randomly decided a couple of days before the tournament begins.
Maps in this 2nd tournament will be: Orp-le-Petit, Poucet, Jandrenouille and Walshoutem.

All games are mirror games, i.e. you play the map twice against each player, playing both sides. So if a group consist of 3 players you will play a total of 8 games in the first stage, 12 games if the group consist of 4 players.

When setting up challenges, post the challenges here in this thread as well as send a PM to the player you challenge.

Each game is 16 turns. On each map there are 4 flags and a game can end in a Draw. When a games has been played the German player will report how many flags each side held at the end of the game. In addition, the German player will report number of losses both sides suffered, preferably upload a screenshot like this:
To decide your place in the table:
1. Check number of wins/draws/losses in terms of flags.
2. Check number of killed infantry/armour/support/wheeled (Due to the low number of halftracks in the scenarios, any units classed as halftracks are counted as wheeled. In fact the only unit class as halftrack should be the German SP AA (SdKfz 10/4).)

Rules
1. FGH'40 is just a game. It does not involve personal injury, money, mortgages, starvation, pestilence, hurricanes, earthquakes or tsunamis... Astonishingly, any reference to war is wholly simulated.
2. Involvement in the FGH'40 Tourney means you're signing up to have fun as your primary purpose. Rarely, tourneys may occasionally trigger less than the best in grown men. Above everything else, always remember that FGH'40 is a game.
3. Respect for fairness matters and is protected by the rules. However, if players notice something is imperfect, but the imperfection is acceptable to both players, they must inform the Tourney Organiser that there may be a problem (so that it can be fixed) but despite this problem, explain that they would still like to complete their game. In most cases this will be approved, and the Tourney Organiser will assign a final result based on the actual result.
4. No surrenders are allowed as this skews the scoring system. Please play out each scenario until the bitter end.
5. If a player drops out for some reason, the Tourney Organiser will a) first try to find a replacement, b) if no replacements can be found, reward wins to the opponents still to play the player dropping out.
6. To encourage (or force :twisted: :wink: ) everyone participating to end all their games within the tourney timetable, you may claim victory if your opponent have not played his or her turn for over a week, IF your opponent have not asked you or the Tourney Organiser for a break due to travels, heavy workload etc. A claimed victory result in a 4-0 flag win plus enemy unit losses depending on the map (full details will be presented soon).
7. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Please communicate with your opponents and the Tourney Organiser, especially if you know you're going to be away for a couple of days. If you have not been able to contact within a week there will be a risk you will be considered to have dropped out.

Map pack
https://www.dropbox.com/s/te5nn0cet46lz ... Y.LST?dl=1
For those of you who participated in the first tournament or have downloaded the map pack including the four new maps ahead of the tournament, please delete the version you got and download this as there has been some final changes. Any ongoing games using earlier version should be able to be completed with this release, but expect some script error messages as there has been some changes.

Instruction how to remove the old version and install the updated version:
1. Choose Multiplayer (at the bottom)
2. Log in to Multiplayer as usual
3. Choose the My Challenges tab (at the top) then press New Challenge
4. Select a FGH'40 Tourney scenario and then Delete Campaign (bottom right)
5. Press X until you get back to BA start screen
6. Choose Campaigns (at the bottom)
7. Choose Download Community Scenarios (at the top)
8. Choose Download a Campaign Package from the Internet (top right)
9. Copy (or type) the link to the map pack (https://www.dropbox.com/s/te5nn0cet46lz ... Y.LST?dl=1) into the URL box (very important it's the link, not the link text!)
10. Click the green tick
11. Back at the campaigns list, select the new campaign (the one with a start to the left, usually at the bottom of the list) and click Download the Selected Campaign (bottom centre)
12. This should download everything that you need
13. Having problem downloading the map pack, contact Tourney Organiser for help
I will use these first posts in this thread for announcements, tables and other informations related to the tournament. So please check these first post frequently for news. And since the tourney will start first in 2 weeks, there could be changes to the rules, or even an updated map pack release.

Welcome to sign up!

Cheers,
P-A aka Cavehobbit (Tourney Organiser)
Last edited by cavehobbit on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cavehobbit

Re: 2nd FGH'40 Tournament

Post by cavehobbit »

This map pack features some new units and some tweaked unit stats compared to the original BA.

New models:
Panzer-I
Light German tank with twin MGs. I've set the stats so it will have a small AT capacity mostly against very light armored vehicles at very close range. Against tanks it will be able to lower their morale a bit if hitting its target.

7.5cm IG
You've probably met this gun in RTT. This time it is painted green :) I've also made some changes to the stats. It has the same stats as a mortar as the calibre are about the same (mortar 81mm/IG 75mm), but the IG can fire indirect a longer range and can fire direct (has the same stats as an early war short barreled Pz-IV 75mm gun). But the IG can't fire smoke as I checked a number of sources as no mentioned the IG using smoke. It can be Pushed one square.

French 75mm FH
Light French artillery gun. Quite similar in stats to the German 7.5cm IG, but has longer range as it is a FH. The French used this gun in an AT role so it has a quite good AT capability. Can fire indirect, Can fire smoke, indirect. It can be Pushed one square.

German 150mm FH
Heavy German artillery gun. Best used firing indirect, but can fire direct although I've set the stats for it to have quite poor accuracy. Can fire both at soft/infantry targets and armoured targets. Can fire smoke, indirect. Fire only one round (HE, AT, Smoke) each turn.

Kubelwagen
German jeep. Can load infantry units up to 3 men. Can load HMG, mortar, IG, etc. No armament.

Leaders:
There are some leaders on each side. The Germans got one on foot and two Pz-I that function as leaders. Check the name as the model is the same as other Pz-I. I will make a new unit icon and will probably promote them with yellow sergeant stripes in the final release. All leaders can Rally any unit (except themselves) once per turn as long as this unit is within 4 squares.
Have the same movement and recon abilities as Scouts. But the combat stats are reduced, have a range of 2 squares, no AT capability.

The Scenarios
The maps are very large (63x63) and there are four flags. Holding more flags than your opponent will result in a Win, holding the same number a Draw. Germans begins each game and the battle is 16 turns. In most games both sides will have a few units from start, but both sides receive reinforcements in their first turn.

Changes to unit stats (and other abilities):
Allies jeep
I'm using the airborne allied jeep, but have turned off the MG, even if the model has one. This unit is called "French car" and can load infantry units up to 3 men. Can load HMG, Mortar, etc.

French tanks
Somua S-35 and R35 tanks. To reflect the fact that these tanks only had a crew of 3 compared to 5 in the German Pz-III and Pz-IV, they have only 1 shot per turn. But I think the thicker armor of the French tanks make up for this, and the S-35 got a very good 47mm AT gun!

German tanks
All German tanks have a morale of 125 compared to the French tanks 100. This to reflect the better training of the German tankers. But also to balance the fact that the French got better armor and S-35's AT gun. They also have a slightly better view range than the French tanks.

Infantry
In general the infantry have a morale of 150, a few has 175. All ordinary infantry units have 8 men in a squad. Engineers can remove tank traps, but not place them as I think the material to build a tank trap weights very much. So if tank traps will be used, they are on the map from start. Historically in this area of operation the French put up lines with tank traps further west, so if I make maps in that area there might be tank traps. But for now the Engineers are just infantry good at assaulting tanks.

HMG, LMG, other special infantry units
HMG's have a 3 men in squad, LMG's 4 men in a squad. Flamethrowers have 2 men. No other special units in this scenario. If future scenarios will include AT Rifles they will have 3 or 4 men in a squad. Not sure yet.
HMG's can be pushed one square, LMG and others move like ordinary infantry.

Scouts
Scouts is a team of 2 men, have a combat range of 2 squares with reduced combat stats. They have no AT capability. The Scouts are designed to act as recon units, not to fight.

Night battles
In night battles all units have a reduced morale, accuracy and effectiveness when firing. Visibility is halved for all units, this means scouts still have longer view range than other units.

Dawn and Dusk battles
In Dawn battles half the battle the view range will be 2/3 of Day battles, but to reflect that sun is rising the second half of the battle will have full view range. For Dusk battles (none in this release) the second half will have a reduced view range of 2/3 of Day turns. In Dawn or Dusk battles all unit will morale, accuracy and effectiveness just like any Day battles.

There are probably lots of changes and new features I've forgot... :)

For those of you who mostly play late war battles should be prepared for another type of warfare, especially when it comes to tank battles. To have a chance of knocking out a tank you will have to get close, in most cases, very close. For more info about tank battles in France 1940 and in the battle of Hannut, I recommend reading some interesting texts by David Lehmann. Can't find the links, but search for David Lehmann France 1940 and you should find some of his texts. There should be some texts about the French Cavalry Corps and the Battle of Gembloux.

Here's a map showing the area at Hannut (each BA map is about 3x3 km). In this tourney the maps to play are Orp-le-Petit, Poucet, Jandrenouille and Walshoutem.

Aerial photos
Circles marks the flag locations. Red=German, Blue=French.

Orp-le-Petit

Poucet

Jandrenouille

Walshoutem
Last edited by cavehobbit on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Group A
Collier4
Avisnigra67
Jcb989
Random27

Group B
Glenghiscan
Wegeberg
Peterjfrigate
Guardsman

Group C
Zarevic
Brummbar44
Best75
DickesKind

Group D
KingT
Mlazar
Hogbar
Cavehobbit

Maps
Group games
Orp le Petit
Jandrenouille

Semi-final
Walshoutem

Final
Poucet
Last edited by cavehobbit on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 15 times in total.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Tables: Group games

Last edited by cavehobbit on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Semi-finals and finals

A-final (1st places in group games, playing for place 1-4)
Zarevic - KingT
Glenghiscan - Avisnigra 0-8 (arm: 6-10; inf: 37-52)

Finals
Place 1-2: Avisnigra - Zarevic 8-0
Place 3-4: Glenghiscan - KingT

B-final (2nd places in group games, playing for place 5-8)
Semi-finals
Cavehobbit - Peterjfrigate 0-8 (arm: 4-10; inf: 15-52)
Brummbar - Jcb 3-5

Finals
Place 5-6: Peterjfrigate - Jcb 5-3 (arm: 20-19; inf: 38-32
Place 7-8: Cavehobbit - Brummbar 4-4 (arm: 13-14; inf: 31-42)

C-final (3rd places in group games, playing for place 9-12)
Semi-finals
Collier - Hogbar
Best - Burgot 2-6 (arm: 9-5; inf: 32-43)

Finals
Place 9-10: Burgot - Hogbar
Place 11-12: Best - Collier 2-6

D-final (4th places in group games, playing for place 13-16)
Wegeberg - Random
Dickeskind - Scole

Final ranking
1. Avisnigra
2. Zarevic
3. Glenghiscan
4. KingT
5. Peterjfrigate
6. Jcb
7. Brummbar
8. Cavehobbit
9. Burgot
10. Hogbar
11. Collier
12. Best
13. TBD
14. TBD
15. TBD
16. TBD
Last edited by cavehobbit on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:51 am, edited 32 times in total.
wegeberg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wegeberg »

Count me in :)
Zarevic
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zarevic »

I´m also in!
I love this tournament!
Txs

Nice rule improvement, number 6, that of allowing finish a game versus a non-serious inactive player. I like it.
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

While I may not play a lot of multiplayer games I am in
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

best75 wrote:While I may not play a lot of multiplayer games I am in
BA/BA2 is best played multiplayer if you ask me :wink: :D
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

Zarevic wrote:Nice rule improvement, number 6, that of allowing finish a game versus a non-serious inactive player. I like it.
Good. Just hope this doesn't scare away too many players though... :?
glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glenghiscan »

I'm in if you'll have me ! Haven't had chance to play the new maps with my hols so best get some games posted and get some practise in
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

glenghiscan wrote:I'm in if you'll have me ! Haven't had chance to play the new maps with my hols so best get some games posted and get some practise in
Still two weeks left to try the new maps :)

Actually, I'm encourage everyone to play each map at least once to get a grip on what forces there are on each map and where the reinforcements enters. As you will play mirror games there won't be much surprises, but you need to know how to deal with each map and maybe work out some great strategies :wink:
collier4
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by collier4 »

Count me in - thanks P-A :D
random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by random27 »

You can count me in :)
guardsman
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by guardsman »

As per my PM..

Reporting for duty..
jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 »

I am prepared for battle
Brummbar44
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Brummbar44 »

Good work Cavehobbit, count me in.
kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt »

I'm definitely in. First one was great, this should be even better.
mlazar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mlazar »

Count me in.
avisnigra67
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by avisnigra67 »

Count me in!