Quick tournament

Forum for the organisation of official and user tournaments or leagues.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Quick tournament

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:00 pm Well, your opponent should have issued the game. If not, PM him and post a private game yourself.
Who's my opponent? Where's the tourney thread that tells us all about its structure and matchups and rankings and everything?
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

The OP details everything I could think of. It’s my first time running so I do admit this is going to be rough
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

TankerOne wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:44 am The OP details everything I could think of. It’s my first time running so I do admit this is going to be rough
Hi Tankerone

I run a small tournament in Sengoku Jidai. I find that it can be helpful to send a pm to all players with instructions as well as posting on the forum. You can do this with minimal effort by posting on the forum first and then clicking on the contact button (small speech bubble by your name ont he forum post). This automatically copies your forum post into the body of a pm so all you have to do is add addresses and a short message.

You might also find it useful to create a separate thread for each tournament round as that highlights the new you wish to convey.

Thanks anyway for the efforts so far.

Alan
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Thanks for the advice, I sent everyone the instructions.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:55 am Thanks for the advice, I sent everyone the instructions.
What is "exit scouting"? I just got this PM below from you, so I presume I now wait for Major Neil to post our game on the multiplayer screen?

Here’s your instructions for the tournament
Rules are no exit scouting, one rematch per player, games must be finished by the end of two weeks, results are posted as (name) as (side) was triumphant in battle against (name) as (side). Player one will post a private game titled Quick tournament for (player 2), with a passcode being posted on the fourm or sent to the other person directly. Anything that comes up that isn’t in the rules will be decided by me.

Round one
Major Neil VS PoorOldSpike

Rankings
No Clear winner
Major Neil
GentlemenRanker
Ahuyton
Poor Old Spike
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

I saw this in one of Enrics earlier tournament. It’s where you send a unit forwards so that it spots enemy units, at the expense of being destroyed, then force quit Battle Academy. You then jump back into the game, and you now know where all the enemy units are. I gave it the name exit scouting. It also is used to get the hit result you want.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Ok I've started a tourney game against Major Neil but I'm a BA2 player and haven't played BA1 for years until recently and there are differences between the two games. For example in BA2 you can hit key 'L' to bring up a list of your units, but L doesn't work in BA1, or is it another key?
Also in the tourney, the game speed is very fast and it's difficult to follow the action because the units are whizzing around too fast like keystone kops, is there any way to slow them down?
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

The ability to bring up a list was originally enrics mod IRCC, and to slow down the game speed you can click settings and in the options menu there is an ability to slow down game speed.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

TankerOne wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 pm I saw this in one of Enrics earlier tournament. It’s where you send a unit forwards so that it spots enemy units, at the expense of being destroyed, then force quit Battle Academy. You then jump back into the game, and you now know where all the enemy units are. I gave it the name exit scouting. It also is used to get the hit result you want.
And it is basically cheating...
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Yup
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

TankerOne wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 pm ..to slow down the game speed you can click settings and in the options menu there is an ability to slow down game speed.
I'm a BA2 player where it can be slowed down to 30%, but in BA1 you can only slow it down to 60%. Never mind, i'll have to get used to it..:)

EDIT- Aargh, sorry but I just can't get used to the BA1 units whizzing round like an arcade game so regrettably I've surrendered my game against MajorNeil and am having to withdraw from the tourney, (it's not sour grapes, I was winning on flag count at the time), now I'm going off to pout and sulk (sniffle)
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

I am sorry then, thanks for trying. It must be rough going from 30% to 60%. If you wan to try again after slowly easing it, your welcome back in to the tournament.
glenghiscan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glenghiscan »

Is it too late to join
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Nope
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

GentlemanRanker (American) beat ahuyton (German) 5VP : 4VP.

An interesting, and well balanced scenario; the Americans grabbed an early VP lead, the German armour, used aggressively, then dictated the pace of much of the game, but the American infantry dug in, and managed to maintain their vital VP superiority.
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

Good job to both of you. If you want to, I am interested on what happened and wouldn’t mind if you wrote a after action report. Also, as you have noticed, our friend Pooroldspike dropped out, and glenghiscan has hopefully joined in his place. I will post the match ups and results Wednesday. Please channel your inner Tank Commander/Miho, and prepare to play the armour heavy Cornfields.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

GentlemanRanker wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 pm GentlemanRanker (American) beat ahuyton (German) 5VP : 4VP.

An interesting, and well balanced scenario; the Americans grabbed an early VP lead, the German armour, used aggressively, then dictated the pace of much of the game, but the American infantry dug in, and managed to maintain their vital VP superiority.
As I predicted, alas, I played pretty badly. I was if you like a Ritchie to GR's Rommel, though in fact I had the Germans.

GR cleverly rushed to take the majority of the objectives in the first turns, meaning that I would have to dig him out. My Pumas scored some successes and even my Sdkw250/9 was pretty useful. I made the mistake of putting my infantry on 'hold fire' for too long. This allowed GR to launch a strong infantry assault with initial attacks by the infantry and then finishing with flamethrowers. In this way he kicked me out of a key central objective and I had spread my forces a bit too unevenly so could not counter. Also I was a bit careless with my armour which got picked off, mainly by M5s.

It was a good game, full of action and interest.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

The Round two challenge for Glenghiscan is up
Pw = sherman
GentlemanRanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by GentlemanRanker »

Game for MajorNeil posted 19/03/2010, PM sent.

Password: FieldsOfGold
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

No news from Glenghiscan... I sent a pm but no reply. Probably there are other priorities at the moment!

Tankerone, maybe you should join the tournament?

Return to “Battle Academy : Tournaments & Leagues”