Soviet Bridgers not fair

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

WalterTFD
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Soviet Bridgers not fair

Post by WalterTFD » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm finishing out the Grand Campaign, and Parck is a 'defeat lots of bridge guys' mission, and I swear, I wish they were superheavy tanks. Russian bridge soldiers are just...it's like they have invisible artillery sitting on their shoulders. They don't take damage like any other soldiers in the game.

It's not, like, unbalanced or impossible or w/ever. Bridge guys being tough is a thing you can factor in and prepare for. But whatever code calculates the expected battle results is 110% not talking to whatever code actually generates them. Bridge guys are persistently, dependably, doing better than their expectation.

I get that the game is super old and has a sequel out at this point, so whining about a bug isn't likely to change anything, but I just want to speak my truth, you know? The bridge guys are nonsense, and everybody knows it.

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Soviet Bridgers not fair

Post by goose_2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:55 pm

WalterTFD wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:51 pm
I'm finishing out the Grand Campaign, and Parck is a 'defeat lots of bridge guys' mission, and I swear, I wish they were superheavy tanks. Russian bridge soldiers are just...it's like they have invisible artillery sitting on their shoulders. They don't take damage like any other soldiers in the game.

It's not, like, unbalanced or impossible or w/ever. Bridge guys being tough is a thing you can factor in and prepare for. But whatever code calculates the expected battle results is 110% not talking to whatever code actually generates them. Bridge guys are persistently, dependably, doing better than their expectation.

I get that the game is super old and has a sequel out at this point, so whining about a bug isn't likely to change anything, but I just want to speak my truth, you know? The bridge guys are nonsense, and everybody knows it.
Most Soviet equipment is way overpowered, but that is the way they made the game. It makes for a daunting challenge, except when playing Soviet Corps
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by PeteMitchell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Bridge guys were the strongest engineers in Panzer General by the way... :mrgreen:

You could tweak the equipment file or consider a mod like this:

viewtopic.php?t=40391
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50184

(not sure if still up-to-date though)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 am

PeteMitchell wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:55 pm
Bridge guys were the strongest engineers in Panzer General by the way... :mrgreen:

You could tweak the equipment file or consider a mod like this:

viewtopic.php?t=40391
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50184

(not sure if still up-to-date though)
That's not quite true - they had the same stats as other engineers IIRC but could also make bridges.......was odd having my entire infantry contingent lugging makeshift bridges around :lol:

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by PeteMitchell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:35 am

Could be... don't know the stats in detail anymore but I felt best alonge my bridge engineers :) looked odd though, yes...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

captainjack
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by captainjack » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 am

Horseman wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 am
was odd having my entire infantry contingent lugging makeshift bridges
If I remember correctly the PGF bridge engineers were also the assault engineers.
Several armies had a company of bridge engineers in the engineering battalion so this is reasonable for many armies, though I find a switch between engineers and bridgies is better for game balance than combining BEng and MEng abilities.

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Panzerpimp » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Soviet equipment IS overpowered in this game.
But...
I think the stats for all the bridgers are basically the same...
As far as I remember It's just infantry with some defense bonus in rivers.
(??? If I'm correct - can't check the equipment file at the moment)
So, It's basically infantry. Dies to tanks + artillery combo. :?: :?
Make love, not war.

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:36 am

All Engineers were Bridge Engineers btw... that was their job.. to accompany mechanized units and make sure they are able to get through obstacles (rivers, minefields, bad terrain...)

and yes, soviet units are ridiculously overpowered in PZC1, and even more in PZC2... its like they were made by some soviet fanboy, that ignores all facts, takes only the best possible stats and completely ignores what was wrong...

Return to “Panzer Corps”