GC AI Cheating

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

liningning23
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

GC AI Cheating

Post by liningning23 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:00 pm

I'd like to know what experiences other players have had with the AI cheating - for example seeing units which shouldn't be visible, spawning units and then using them in the same turn, spawning units in the middle of nowhere, etc.

Some examples I've experienced (playing GC at Field Marshal):
Orel 43: AI spawned 5 air units, including 2 directly above hexes occupied by my troops, then attacked and moved, all in the same turn.
Tatsinskaya Forest 43: AI spawned 3 fighters which flew directly to where my wounded Rudel Stuka was hiding (5 hexes away from any enemy asset) and destroyed it.
Korsun Pocket 44: AI captured a city, then on the same turn with 3 of my units next to the city, spawned 2 static AA and did serious damage to my bomber.
Korsun Pocket 44: AI spawned an armored artillery in the middle of nowhere which attacked my 17 cm from behind and severely damaged it.

Hopefully I'm not the only one unhappy with this bs. Btw, I started doing end-of-turn saves, then going back and using cheat codes to show enemy locations in order to verify my suspicions about AI cheating.

McGuba
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: GC AI Cheating

Post by McGuba » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:30 pm

The AI does not "cheat" in Panzer Corps in the sense to avoid rules that the human player has to follow.
for example seeing units which shouldn't be visible
It is a fairly common accusation, but there is always an explanation to this phenomenon: the AI either accidently sees the unit(s) of the human player for example by moving one of its units near them and then using this knowledge to attack them with the next unit, or it may happen due to scenario scriping which orders the AI to move its units in a certain direction at a certain turn and then again accidently one or more of the player's units happen to be just there in that turn. In the end, from the human player's perspective, in both cases it looks like the AI moves its units in purpose only because it does not do so in the usual silly manner.

spawning units and then using them in the same turn
Again it is not really AI cheating more like a (faulty?) game mechanic: if a unit is set to appear in a certain turn in the editor it can already move in that turn. And it is also true for human controlled units i.e. when a new gift unit is given to the player at a certain turn. So basically all these units were pre-placed by the creator of the given scenario who is a human being. You can open the editor, load the given scenario and look for that particular unit, chances are good you will see it in the exact place, set to appear in the exact same turn.

spawning units in the middle of nowhere, etc.
Same as above, units appearing in the middle of the map at a given turn were placed by the human designer of the scenario and not by the AI. The AI in itself can only purchase units at cities just like the player.

Korsun Pocket 44: AI captured a city, then on the same turn with 3 of my units next to the city, spawned 2 static AA and did serious damage to my bomber.
As I understand in this particular example the scenario was designed so that if the AI captures that city then 2 enemy AA units appear instantly as triggered by that event. Again, all this was designed by the human creator of the scenario and not by the AI itself. And all the other examples are basically the same. These were all the decisions of the human scenario designer.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Panzerpimp » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:51 pm

liningning23,
I understand your line of thought.
But...
The AI doesn't really "cheat". Only the human player can use the cheat function.
The thing is - the AI almost always has an advantage, especially with the advanced difficulties. (Prestige, numbers and scenario rules are in favor of the AI. And It should be like that, because the AI is not that smart in this game)
Sometimes it can be really annoying, when it feels "artificial" - the notorious problem is the AI unit spam, for example.
Sometimes there are scripts in the scenario that allow the AI to produce units out of thin air. And sometimes the AI uses its prestige reserves to spam units around objectives on the last turn to rob you out of decisive victory. There are threads on this forum about that, It's really annoying, but understandable as explained above. :)
Make love, not war.

PeteMitchell
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by PeteMitchell » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Plus there are ways and means to prevent unit spams to spme extent...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481

Return to “Panzer Corps”