Love it or Hate it? Panzer General "Pop-Up" Battle

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Did you love, hate, or even know of the pop-up battles in PG?

Loved it. It added more interaction and excitement.
19%
Hated it. Slowed the game too much and added no depth
42%
Neutral. Used it sometimes, and didn't others
28%
Pop-up battles? I never played PG/AG and have no idea what this is
11%

Total votes: 123

patriot14
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Love it or Hate it? Panzer General "Pop-Up" Battle

Post by patriot14 »

With all due respect for PC’s animations, what’s your opinion on the Panzer General and Allied General “Pop-Up” battle features?
aleader
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by aleader »

You need to add one for players like myself. I would say I loved the pop-ups then, but only because the battle animations otherwise were non-existent. Panzer Corps has done it just right. Even more animation would be really cool (on the map), but what they've done easily surpasses PG\Allied General IMO.
Fritz
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Fritz »

I played Panzer General and variants a lot. But i cant remember pop-up battles.
Vaughn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Vaughn »

I used it when I started the game. It was OK I suppose. I learned how to shut it off soon after that and never missed it.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Vaughn wrote:I used it when I started the game. It was OK I suppose. I learned how to shut it off soon after that and never missed it.
+1
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Vaughn wrote:I used it when I started the game. It was OK I suppose. I learned how to shut it off soon after that and never missed it.
Right there with you.
Especially because many late war units did not have their own attack animations, they copy pasted heavily from other units.
Sharkyzero
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Sharkyzero »

This is actually one of the disappointing things about this game. I was looking forward to seeing upgraded graphics in the pops, but they aren't there. Methinks SSI had more manpower to devote to such things. Ah well, one can hope. I left the option on all the time. Generic in-map explosions are just that, generic.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Based on the feedback less than 20% of people want this feature and over 40% don't want it so I think we made the right call :)
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

iainmcneil wrote:Based on the feedback less than 20% of people want this feature and over 40% don't want it so I think we made the right call :)
Agreed....PC's animations are more than adequate
patriot14
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by patriot14 »

iainmcneil wrote:Based on the feedback less than 20% of people want this feature and over 40% don't want it so I think we made the right call :)
Hmmmm..... Seems like a bit of "left-wing" poll analysis there. I would actually consider the people who "Used it sometimes" to lean toward being okay with it given that they clearly like options and game depth. Those on either side of the poll are strongly opinionated about it, including myself and those who never played PG only dilute the "40%".

But in the end, this is really just appreciation for both PG and PC for their hours of outstanding play.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

There was no option for 'Have played lots of PG but still have no idea what this is' so I took option 4.
Sharkyzero

Re: Love it or Hate it? Panzer General "Pop-Up" Battle

Post by Sharkyzero »

Not to purposefully necro this thread but...has this be revisited by the devs? I seem to have never purchased this game and I think this is one of the major reasons why. Mebbe it's a bit foolish to dismiss a game based solely on lack of anims, but I can't seem to push myself towards that without this extra "unwanted" graphical juice.

Now that your Allied General reboot (the AG that soaked up hours upon hours of my youth) is coming along, I ask the question again. The unfortunate thing is that I don't have much faith that it will be implemented. :?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It does have animations just not like the ones in the original game. Check out the videos to see.
Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. »

This combat bubbles became very quickly repetitive, boring and slowed down the game pace quite a lot. Which is not easy to do in turn based game. :D
Fantasy general had some nice combat animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2vTEoMEaA
Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero »

I already know some people won't ever turn on the feature. This isn't for people like them. What is a nuisance that can be turned off for you, can be left on and make this a purchasable game for me. I'm looking for an official "Newp, never gonna happen" or a "Mebbe! We do seem to be raking in some dough!" You get the idea. I'm almost certain this game is past the point of being profitable and they could probably afford to create some add-on content like this. It is just a question of whether they think it's worth their time to do so. I would say it is.

*just saw official post, checking vids*

OK, yeah, I know about those on-map non-pop-up anims. I'm speaking on the pop-up, close-up of the units firing, etc. animations. For the record, I am aware this is nitpicking of the highest order and completely acceptable to ignore. I just wish it was a part of the game. I can't seem to get into it with so many other games fighting for my attention (World of Tanks, for example) without this spice that I remember when I was younger. I played the game for at least 3-4 years and never turned off the pops. I seem to be in the minority. :|
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

It would be cool if the little in-game sprites were more animated as they moved and fired--wheels and treads turn, feet march, turrets rotate, wings waggle, trains belch smoke, etc.--but I suspect that the increased programming and CPU demands would not be worth the added "coolness." Still, a girl can dream, can't she?
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Girl? You have a strange nickname then :D Unless I simply don't get it =)
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re:

Post by Uhu »

The same for me. :)
VPaulus wrote:
+1
Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Anfield »

I hated that thing and cant figure out to this day why they put it in or who would want to use it, its just quadrupled the time it took to play a game, and that might be kind on the time it added lol

:D
patriot14
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by patriot14 »

I just love the fact that someone found my 2+ year old post!! I'm actually still all for the pop-ups. I understand it slowed down the play, but that was part of it. The interaction of the 2 circles, and the destruction animation, added to my game play. It also heightened the suspense of the combat decisions I made. Yes they were repetitive and often not reflective of the true equipment model, but that could all be changed in a new game. The approach to the original was to build a force, beef up its strength, and limit casualties through good decisions. A map could take 2-6 hours or more. Now its just plow through the map, rebuild, plow through the next map. I bought and started Allied yesterday and blew through 7 maps fairly quickly. Yeah I'm beating the game, but the value per hour played is very low.

Return to “Panzer Corps”