Just played tutorials - some questions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Vease101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Just played tutorials - some questions

Post by Vease101 »

This game is tremendous fun, I only played the 3D Panzer General game that was so abstracted it was barely a wargame as most people understand the term. Panzer Corps is perfect for the non hardcore wargamer like myself because you can get into it without even having to look at the manual, a real rarity for a wargame! My questions are

1. Are the cavalry units just for reconnaisance or can you use them in combat under the right circumstances?

2.The SFz222 recon unit is actually better than the 'upgrade' SFz231, other than the fuel capacity, its actually a better combat unit is what I mean. I never upgraded through any of the tutorials - in the campaign I guess its best to upgrade so that you can get much improved later versions or do you always get the option to upgrade to the latest model even if you still have the earliest version in your force?

3. I tried to leave my mounted infantry in 'safe' positions at the end of a turn (in a wood or behind a hill etc) Yet they still get shot to pieces in their trucks if the enemy finds them. Is there no defensive modifier for terrain if your troops are not dismounted?

4. Are there restrictions on the number of characters for renaming units? I haven't tried this but was wondering if 'Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland' was possible for instance.

5. Does the 'Next unit' button only move to units that haven't performed an action? There were few enough units in the tutorials that I just clicked on them all to make sure I hadn't missed any but that would be a real pain in a large scenario...
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Hi.

1. You can use them in combat.

2. In this case, you don't need to upgrade it to have further upgrades. If you prefer Sfkz.222, just use it. Besides you don't have a time frame for upgrading units. You can upgrade in further scenarios.

3. I really don't know. I avoid to leave mounted units in places that are in range of being attacked. But that's a good question, and should have a defensive modifier, like when they are unmounted.

4. Don't know.

5. Next Unit will move to the next unit that still have an action to be performed.
Last edited by VPaulus on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastiansc
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Sebastiansc »

Hi
answer
1 cavalry is normal infantry unit - Recon unit can move and stop and move if have "move points"....
2 You can chose with unit You upgrade - its cost prestige
3 not sure but unit in transport is weak - transport have statistic for defence
4 im never try so dont know
5 no next unit buton can also move You to recon unit who alredy move and atack but stil have move points but i think its idea of this buton to remind of not used unit...

sorry bad English
soldier
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by soldier »

1 - Cavalry have the same advantages as other infantry units so can be useful in forests or towns but shouldn't be relied upon to hold up on the front line. Their main advantage is speed and recon ability. Best used to mop up weak units or take a far away position in an emergency when no other troop can reach.

2 - You can upgrade during the battles in towns or before they start in deployment mode in the campaign. You could upgrade from a Panzer 1 to a Tiger if you still had one in 1943, but you pay full price. Some upgrades are very cheap eg Pz III G to Pz III J or stuka Ju87 B to Ju87 R.

3 - trucks are very vunerable to losses in combat and terrain modifiers alone probably won't help much unless its a fortifications hex. They really need artillery support, good terrain and better experience to hold out but some enemy tanks will still cut through all that. You can get armoured Halftracks later on.

4 - Yes I don't think you will fit "Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland"

5 - I'm pretty sure next only scrolls through units that havn't moved or attacked. Helps in big scenarios
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

To expand on previous replies:
2) Yes, you don't have to upgrade; yes, there are equipment where "upgrades" aren't worth it; and yes, you can "skip" models.
3) Put simply, there is no safe place for trucks. If the enemy finds them, it will hurt and hurt badly.
In some case you simply will find that dismounting well behind the front lines and marching up (losing a turn or three) is better, since the unit will actually reach the fighting while still alive! :)

Of course, for slow units (especially towed arty and AT) this sucks. And that is part of why you will want to have self-propelled arty and AT! :)
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

Steve, use the "Z" key to "sleep" units when you are done with them.

This way the "next" button doesn't cycle through them again in this turn.
On page 33 of your PDF manual (it's in a subfolder) you find some more useful hotkeys.

Just read this forum and ask, you might learn some things! :)

Very important in Panzer Corps is the terrain you are fighting on. Certain terrain types make Infantry units attack the enemies close defense value, this way they can destroy powerful tanks they could barely scratch in open terrain. Cities and Forest are such terrain for instance. You can read about that ingame in the Library.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Longasc wrote:Just read this forum and ask, you might learn some things! :)
Indeed, our forum members are very helpful.
Take a look at the Common Questions sticky: viewtopic.php?t=27283
Vease101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vease101 »

Thanks very much, I try to look for similar topics for advice when I'm a noob so the veterans don't get annoyed with the same questions coming up all the time but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realise the 'Sleep' option was still available if you had moved or attacked in a turn, very helpful. Just before I try a real scenario could anyone clarify these points -

1. In the tutorials you can reinforce/resupply your units even if they aren't in a town. In the 'real' game is this only possible during deployment or when the unit is actually on a town hex?

2. Some units can only be reinforced to a certain level i.e from 6 to 8 or something less than full strength. Does this reflect the amount of reserves available or is it a question of the type of unit?

3. What are the numbers below the 'expected casualties' results in the target box?

4. How can you tell if a unit will not be able to cross a river without the help of an engineer unit? What I mean is I don't want to spend time moving units in a flanking manoeuvre if it turns out that they get stuck on one side of a river. In the 4th tutorial I was surprised that the river that runs across most of the screen could be forded by any unit without a bridge, do you just eyeball it and say that looks pretty wide, gonna need the engineers there?

5. Are there attack bonuses for flank and rear attacks? It didn't look like it but I may have missed something.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

SteveV wrote:Thanks very much, I try to look for similar topics for advice when I'm a noob so the veterans don't get annoyed with the same questions coming up all the time but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realise the 'Sleep' option was still available if you had moved or attacked in a turn, very helpful. Just before I try a real scenario could anyone clarify these points -

1. In the tutorials you can reinforce/resupply your units even if they aren't in a town. In the 'real' game is this only possible during deployment or when the unit is actually on a town hex?

2. Some units can only be reinforced to a certain level i.e from 6 to 8 or something less than full strength. Does this reflect the amount of reserves available or is it a question of the type of unit?

3. What are the numbers below the 'expected casualties' results in the target box?

4. How can you tell if a unit will not be able to cross a river without the help of an engineer unit? What I mean is I don't want to spend time moving units in a flanking manoeuvre if it turns out that they get stuck on one side of a river. In the 4th tutorial I was surprised that the river that runs across most of the screen could be forded by any unit without a bridge, do you just eyeball it and say that looks pretty wide, gonna need the engineers there?

5. Are there attack bonuses for flank and rear attacks? It didn't look like it but I may have missed something.
1 - No, same as the tutorial you can reinforce/resupply anywhere. Only the presence of enemy units might stop this or averse weather

2 - You can always reinforce to full strength (10) unless you dont have enough prestige or you have enemy units next to you

3 - I'm not sure what numbers you mean!

4 - minor rivers are crossable by anyone but take a full move to move onto, major rivers require bridging engineers (or a bridge!)
The best way to tell is to 'eyeball' it, major rivers are noticibly wider. If in dount hover the cursor over the river and it will tell you if its major or minor.

5 - No bonus for flank or rear attacks. Mainly because at this scale a unit does not have a flank or rear! You do get a mass atack bonus though, for every unit still able to attack adjacent to the enemy above the 1st the enemy get -1 initiative
Vease101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Vease101 »

Thanks again for the reply

3. It happens when you have an aircraft over a unit, there is the usual -1 -3 (or whatever) combat numbers then underneath the crosshairs there is something like 10-6 or something similar. Maybe its just the relative strength, I will try to note the next time I see it.
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

3. I think those numbers only show up when using an air unit to attack a ground unit. They are the strength numbers of the attacking and defending units before the attack is initiated.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

SteveV wrote:Thanks again for the reply

3. It happens when you have an aircraft over a unit, there is the usual -1 -3 (or whatever) combat numbers then underneath the crosshairs there is something like 10-6 or something similar. Maybe its just the relative strength, I will try to note the next time I see it.
Ah rite - yes thats just the strengths of the 2 units.....probably put in as you cant see both numbers like you can with ground to gound or air to air combat

Return to “Panzer Corps”