Deploying paratroopers

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Mark50
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Deploying paratroopers

Post by Mark50 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 am

How do you deploy the paratroopers before starting a campaign mission so that they start on a ground hex and not as a plane in the air? By default they seem to be already embarked and the hex presented for deployment are the ones for the air units. This didn`t really bothered me normally, but there are cases when I`d rather have the unit on the ground so I can use it from the first turn instead of having to disembark it first.

MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Deploying paratroopers

Post by MartyWard » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

Mark50 wrote:How do you deploy the paratroopers before starting a campaign mission so that they start on a ground hex and not as a plane in the air? By default they seem to be already embarked and the hex presented for deployment are the ones for the air units. This didn`t really bothered me normally, but there are cases when I`d rather have the unit on the ground so I can use it from the first turn instead of having to disembark it first.
buy them trucks.

Mark50

Re: Deploying paratroopers

Post by Mark50 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 am

MartyWard wrote: buy them trucks.
Any other solution? :D Naturally, I could buy them trucks, but I`d rather not have to spend on that every time I want them pedestrian at the start of a mission. I do want them to fly in some missions.

soldier
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by soldier » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 am

They quite often fought on the ground so it would be nice to be able to deploy them as an extra troop in the opening attack and then maybe fly them over later when the air situation is under control. It also annoys me having them start in the air every time. Buying a truck is a poor solution here. I'd also like the ability to disband a units truck transport anywhere. I've been caught out too many times hoping to move into thick forest only to find i cannot because i have transport assigned. Neither fun nor realistic.

off topic here but regarding another movement quirk, the churchill tank cannot move into bocage terrain.

Rood
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Rood » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 am

I think that if you set the available air transports to zero (using the cheat code) then you can deploy the para's on the ground, and of course after that you can set the air transport to it's original value.

Mark50

Post by Mark50 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the replies! Then it means there just isn`t a built in game solution at this stage. Let`s hope one would be developed. Imo there should be an embark-disembark icon when you deploy your paratroopers so you can choose if you want them on the ground helping with the initial stages of the battle(and afterwords airborne them if you want to) or in the air from the start.

AgentX

Post by AgentX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:58 pm

I believe the developers were thinking of using the Air/Ground toggle during deployment to be able to switch the paratroopers between air and ground. Don't know the progress or how high it is on things they'd like to implement, though.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I believe you have to hit the tab key before you deploy in on the ground.

Aloo

Post by Aloo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Razz1 wrote:I believe you have to hit the tab key before you deploy in on the ground.
This doesn't work for me, it only switches the air/ground view.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm

AgentX wrote:I believe the developers were thinking of using the Air/Ground toggle during deployment to be able to switch the paratroopers between air and ground. Don't know the progress or how high it is on things they'd like to implement, though.
Would be really nice to have that option.

evan748
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by evan748 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 am

I agree also, would like to use my Paras as ground in a lot of scenarios.

Amaranthus
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Amaranthus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Another related question on paratroopers. They often don't deploy on the hex that I specify, but instead on an adjacent one. Is this because you cannot airdrop onto a hex that is under the zone of control of an enemy unit?

By the way, I'm new to these forums, but have found them invaluable in enhancing my experience so far. I only bought PzC a few days ago, after stumbling across it. I was a big PzG fan back in the mid-1990s, but then lost touch with the series. I'm loving the reimagining. Have already completed the vanilla campaign and am starting on GC39, as well as a few PBEM games.

Expect to see a lot more of me around here :)

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

They often don't deploy on the hex that I specify, but instead on an adjacent one. Is this because you cannot airdrop onto a hex that is under the zone of control of an enemy unit?
Welcome to the forum, Aramanthus. The feature you mention is a representation of the unreliability of para-drops. If you land directly under where the transport is, the paratroops will drop directly, but if you try an adjacent hex there is a random chance of landing in another (unoccupied) adjacent hex, which can get very hairy (like it was for the Poles and Brits who landed at Arnhem, for example!)

dragos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by dragos » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm

evan748 wrote:I agree also, would like to use my Paras as ground in a lot of scenarios.
Since I use paratroopers as regular infantry for many scenarios, I buy them trucks (or cheap halftracks if I plan to use them on ground for several scenarios in a row) and when I intend to paradrop them I disband the trucks in the deployment phase. Losing the prestige worth of a couple of trucks isn't such a big deal.

Mark50

Post by Mark50 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

dragos wrote:
evan748 wrote:I agree also, would like to use my Paras as ground in a lot of scenarios.
Since I use paratroopers as regular infantry for many scenarios, I buy them trucks (or cheap halftracks if I plan to use them on ground for several scenarios in a row) and when I intend to paradrop them I disband the trucks in the deployment phase. Losing the prestige worth of a couple of trucks isn't such a big deal.
It is a big deal for anyone who struggles with prestige and has more stringent uses for it. Plus, how would that plan work in the same scenario? I mean deploying paratroopers on the ground from the beginning and after a couple turns airborning them.

Devadoris
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Devadoris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Deploying paratroopers on the ground is quite simple, they deploy airborne and aground alternatively. Just follow these steps:
- deploy them on the map, they will appear aboard a Ju 52 3/M
- remove them from the map by right-cliking on them
- redeploy them : they will come aground.

The only thing is that they won't deploy on an hex for ground units.

Aloo

Post by Aloo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Devadoris wrote:Deploying paratroopers on the ground is quite simple, they deploy airborne and aground alternatively. Just follow these steps:
- deploy them on the map, they will appear aboard a Ju 52 3/M
- remove them from the map by right-cliking on them
- redeploy them : they will come aground.

The only thing is that they won't deploy on an hex for ground units.
Doesn't work for me.

Mark50

Post by Mark50 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Doesn`t work for me either.

Aloo

Post by Aloo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm

El_Condoro wrote:
They often don't deploy on the hex that I specify, but instead on an adjacent one. Is this because you cannot airdrop onto a hex that is under the zone of control of an enemy unit?
Welcome to the forum, Aramanthus. The feature you mention is a representation of the unreliability of para-drops. If you land directly under where the transport is, the paratroops will drop directly, but if you try an adjacent hex there is a random chance of landing in another (unoccupied) adjacent hex, which can get very hairy (like it was for the Poles and Brits who landed at Arnhem, for example!)
Are you sure that they should always land when dropping under the transport? Ive just had them miss their mark (tried to drop into an empty enemy city and landed next to it).

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm

From memory they always have for me but maybe not. Perhaps a dev can confirm this.

Return to “Panzer Corps”