Pool of Heros

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Pool of Heros

Post by Lut »

at the weekend i was reading the fighting story of the Jagdverband44 again and I think it would be cool to do the same in PzC - having full control about my heros and put them in command as I like.

Why not buliding my own JV44 with 3 heros of my choice (like it was in reality) - regarding game balance it should be not a problem, because I have to weaken other units because of taken away their heros. And in adition to that there is a high risk that I will lose all my heros if the unit will be destroyed.

Or... having a hero with +1 range => put him on a newly build 30cm Werfer => promote a leader and give him a command of a newly formed unit. exp. will be zero for sure - but the batte harded commander helps with his trait from the start on.

If I am in command of the forces I also want to be in the position to put my heros where I think they are the most useful.

For sure - only heros of the same type can be switched (armor - armor, inf - inf, etc.)

What do you think?
huertgenwald
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Pool of Heros

Post by huertgenwald »

Yeah, transposable heroes would be great !

And i also would be great, if i could sack those useless (at least for me) "spotting heroes"
brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by brettz123 »

Honestly I think this has the potential to create some really unbalance units. Imagine a tiger tank with 3 movement 1 heroes, an artillery with 3 range 1 heroes, or several Focke Wulfes with 3 attack 3 heroes. The problem is you can easily get a unit with one hero then transfer that hero to another unit and create a lot of super units. The way it is now keeps you from having too many super units.
Vaughn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Vaughn »

It seems like a fun idea, however it also would be easily abusable and would definitely cause serious balance issues.

That said, it could be a fun option for the newer players as they learn the game. It could be made an option at the start up screen along with weather, fog of war, supply.
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

Honestly I think this has the potential to create some really unbalance units. Imagine a tiger tank with 3 movement 1 heroes, an artillery with 3 range 1 heroes, or several Focke Wulfes with 3 attack 3 heroes
Yes, that is exactly what I want to do.... and I do not see a problem with game balance because you will not get more heros - you are free to put your heros were you want...

If you decide to create a super unit - like the JV44 - feel free to do it ... but then these heros are missing in your other fighter wings - one hero - rest zero ;)

and you have a high risk that you will loose them all if the unit will be killed.
brettz123

Post by brettz123 »

The problem is that you will create units that can't get killed and unbalance the game at the same time. It is also something that can be abused because you can easily get a lot of heroes quickly put them in your pool and then disband the unit buy a new one and get another hero very quickly. Take this for instance in a normal DLC game you can't get your third hero until you get over 1000 kills. Well if you do what I just said you could technically have 10 heroes within that same span of time. Now you aren't going to get 10 but you could easily have 6-8 before you ever would have had the chance to get 3. That is why it isn't a good idea.
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

O.k. - got your point...

maybe it would be an option to limit the amount of heros by hardcoding - maybe 40 for colonel,30 for field marshal etc. ... or have a maximum of 2 leaders per unit.

don`t get me wrong - this is not a game killer - but in my view a commander `s job is to deal with the "human resources" and put leaders on units where they are the most useful.

right now it is a gambling thing what leader you get and many players save and reload the game to get the hero they like (see forum)... is that the better way to handle that issue?
brettz123

Post by brettz123 »

Well if people want to save and reload they are just going to do it. I think the way it is now is the best way to handle it to be honest without complicating the game. I think it would be cool if they added in unit leaders in addition to heroes (like hearts of iron). So that way you can put leaders in your units and still get heroes. The thing is you are never going to have random rewards and random combat results and not have people cheat by reloading to get the result they want. If thats how you like playing the game then thats how you should play the game. There isn't anything wrong with that. The point is for you to enjoy yourself but I don't think the game should be changed to accommodate these people.

The bottom line is you will never please anyone but right now they have a system that doesn't allow you to break it unless you really want to. And even if you save and reload you are going to have to spend a LOT of time trying to get a hero you want. You need to remember that just because you got a hero once doesn't mean you will get another one again once you reload. I have tested this out and the chance of getting a hero is small AND random. And frankly if you are willing to spend an hour or two to get the hero you want then you deserve it!

I think a better solution would be to make the possible heroes a unit can get a little more geared towards the unit type. For instance I think the biggest problem people have is getting a Spotting +1 hero on an artillery unit. It is essentially a useless hero on that unit. Well it shouldn't be an option for artillery. Don't get me wrong it does annoy me a little but when I end up with 3 defense +1 heroes on a Stuka but those are the breaks and he is still better than a brand new Stuka!
Lut
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Lut »

yes, you are right - if heros pop up they should be useful for that type of unit...

I have plenty of spotting +1 heros but none of these are in command of one of my two recon units - but my ari is spotting like hell :wink:
brettz123

Post by brettz123 »

Lut wrote:yes, you are right - if heros pop up they should be useful for that type of unit...

I have plenty of spotting +1 heros but none of these are in command of one of my two recon units - but my ari is spotting like hell :wink:

Yeah exactly it seems really hard to get a spotting hero on a recon but I always seem to get spotting heroes on my artillery. They need to tweak that so you give players less of an incentive to reload when they get a crappy hero.

Return to “Panzer Corps”