New Ideas, Same Gameplay for Panzer Corps Series

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

MajorVictory
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

New Ideas, Same Gameplay for Panzer Corps Series

Post by MajorVictory »

I would like to see an Allied version of Panzer Corps developed. I just purchased N. Africa, to add to my Panzer Corps collection, and I’m impressed again. I’m a big fan of the original Panzer and Allied General series developed by S.S.I. Slitherine and Lordz Games Studio has done a superb job of revitalizing the series, making great graphical and gameplay improvements. My one gripe is that they have completely left the Allied campaigns out. Where is Allied Corps? I would like to believe that Allied Corps is in the pipe line.
Back in the day S.S.I. also released another little know game in the General series - Pacific General. The game had many improvements over the two prior releases (Panzer and then Allied General), but also had many glitches. If Slitherine and Lordz Games Studio would bring that game up to par with its new Panzer Corps formula, I think it would be an awesome game. I would like to see what I could do with Imperial Japanese forces!?
I do enjoy the turn based strategy genre Lordz Game Studio has so masterfully recreated. I had some other ideas that I think would make for some interesting games using that same gameplay formula. How about some fantasy war games? Maybe something along the lines of Lord of the Rings? Archers, knights, cannons, trolls, even armies of undead! Or, maybe even a Space Corps, where you fight for planets throughout the galaxy. Futuristic tanks, spacecraft, and infantry battle it out on planetary landscapes and moons! Ok, that might have been out there, but I would definitely play it. Lordz Games Studio could build some really cool games using the Panzer Corps gameplay engine and some imagination.
I would also like to see a well-made American Civil War or American Revolution game using this type of engine. I hope Slitherine continues to publish great games with the Panzer Corps formula of gameplay. But, maybe they could think outside the box and take some risks and make some truly unique, fun and imaginative strategy games in the future.
Last edited by MajorVictory on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Re: New Ideas, Same Gameplay for Panzer Corps Series

Post by lordzimoa »

Thank you for the kind words, but there is plenty of planning behind the scenes...
We have already announced Panzer Corps expansions from the Allied side, we will cover both the Western as the Soviet Allies.

First however, on the planning are 3 more Axis Western Grand Campaign DLC`s: `43 West, `44 West and `45 West.

And of course the Mac and iPad porting of the Panzer corps series.

Pacific expansions are undecided yet.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Maybe something along the lines of Lord of the Rings? Archers, knights, cannons, trolls, even armies of undead!
But, maybe they could think outside the box and take some risks and make some truly unique, fun and imaginative strategy games in the future.
In this regard, have a look at one of our other upcoming projects Sovereignty: Crown of Kings

viewforum.php?f=175

or

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site ... -of-kings/
MajorVictory

Post by MajorVictory »

I must have missed the announcement for the Allied expansion....great news though! I really think that a Pacific expansion would be a great addition to the series.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

I believe a Pacific Corps would mean so many new updates and AI changes, maybe we should reserve it better for a PzC2 engine... only time will tell. :-)
MajorVictory

Post by MajorVictory »

I followed your link, Sovereignty sounds like what I was looking for! I look forward to some gameplay videos and a playable demo. If it takes time to develope a Pacific campaign, that's ok, I would rather the time be put into a great game. I'm still slugging it out on Panzer Corps for the time being anyways. It's good to hear that the game is at least being thought about.
Vaughn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Vaughn »

I should pay more attention to Slitherine's other releases. This Sovereignty game looks potentially awesome!
James7504
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by James7504 »

There actually was another little known game released as part of SSI's series. Along with Allied, Panzer and Pacific General there was also FANTASY GENERAL. It had very interesting units, had tech you would spend prestige on, your general could cast a spell once a turn (wizard general could cast a damage spell and magic based units were cheaper to buy and research, warlord gen had cavalry bonuses and a spot enemy spell if i remember correctly). Fantasy general was the first one to have special additions to units - ie units could have possesion of magical items like a shield that gave extra defense, and special units earnt ingame like Malgus the dragon lord who flew his dragon and was quite powerful but irreplaceable. I actually got Fantasy general first and then found panzer general.
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

How about ARMY or Corp specific campains, or leader specific Like HANS G of Von Kleist. Maybe Division or Kempf Group campains?
James7504

Post by James7504 »

Pacific general was actually my favorite, i really enjoyed the naval battles and the different units, and the japanese campaign was excellent. If a remake does come i would suggest seperate presitge gains and expenditure for fleet units and ground units - buying a battleship costs me the same as 2 paramarines but the battleship is useless in 30% of scenarios.
MajorVictory

Post by MajorVictory »

James7504 wrote:There actually was another little known game released as part of SSI's series. Along with Allied, Panzer and Pacific General there was also FANTASY GENERAL. It had very interesting units, had tech you would spend prestige on, your general could cast a spell once a turn (wizard general could cast a damage spell and magic based units were cheaper to buy and research, warlord gen had cavalry bonuses and a spot enemy spell if i remember correctly). Fantasy general was the first one to have special additions to units - ie units could have possesion of magical items like a shield that gave extra defense, and special units earnt ingame like Malgus the dragon lord who flew his dragon and was quite powerful but irreplaceable. I actually got Fantasy general first and then found panzer general.
I have that game and another that is called Star general. Both work with DOS. I could not get either to work on my Windows 7 laptop (I think I tried just about everything). The concept always intrigued me though. Those two games are actually what got me thinking about other ways of utilizing the Panzer Corps gameplay engine.
I also used to play a Civil War game that was turned based. It allowed units to gain experience, charge other units, and cause opposing units to flee the battlefield. I know that warfare based on musketry might make for a slow paced game, but I think that with some thoughtful usage of a Panzer Corps type game engine it could be a fun, fast paced strategy game.
I also agree with your take on Pacific General. That game was a big improvement over the others in the series...the glitches were rough though. I was able to get Pacific General to run on my laptop with some minor compatibility tweeks.
Atomhund

Post by Atomhund »

Loved Fantasy General! For your Windows 7 issue, try D-Fend Reloaded, a very nice frontend for the DOSbox emulator:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/index.html?lang=en

Return to “Panzer Corps”