Complete Captured Units Database Thread

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Complete Captured Units Database Thread

Post by captainjack »

I haven't found any captured units in AC yet - I'm getting the impression that there aren't any. I don't expect wonders but I've already had a few games where even a captured Italian tankette would have been welcome.

My first go was on 1.20 at General and the change of version was a bit too much combined with learning about the new units - when to upgrade, what they can and can't do and how to combine forces etc.
I tried again on 1.14 at General, and had a very hard time. This included being so low on prestige that I was a unit short for several scenarios and one of my infantry units had to walk everywhere as I couldn't find 50 prestige for a truck. This was mostly due to me playing poorly, but with a few critical bits of bad luck to highlight my faults. Even worse, after Mareth Line (about 9 or 10 scenarios in) I still had no SE units and it got so difficult I gave up and started again.

My trusty calculator says that getting no SE units isn't quite as unlikely as I thought (around 1 in 25 chance for none after nine scenarios and 1 in 40 for no SE units after 10), so maybe the AI wasn't having a laugh at my expense and I was just plain unlucky.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

captainjack wrote:I haven't found any captured units in AC yet - I'm getting the impression that there aren't any. I don't expect wonders but I've already had a few games where even a captured Italian tankette would have been welcome.

Even worse, after Mareth Line (about 9 or 10 scenarios in) I still had no SE units and it got so difficult I gave up and started again.

My trusty calculator says that getting no SE units isn't quite as unlikely as I thought (around 1 in 25 chance for none after nine scenarios and 1 in 40 for no SE units after 10), so maybe the AI wasn't having a laugh at my expense and I was just plain unlucky.
I haven't seen any captured units as well, only some auxiliary Polish resistance Panther tanks (part of the scenario scripting). A shame, considering I was hoping for some spoils after Beda Fomm (the Commonwealth troops captured large amounts of Italian hardware as a result of that battle)

BTW, Mareth Line is one of the last scenarios of Afrika Korps, about the 12th scenario along the historical path, I thought you were talking about Allied Corps?

For Mareth Line in Afrika Korps your math is correct, but for Allied Corps the input data would be off, as you cannot get SE units until Beda Fomm (the 6th or 7th scenario), and you would have to calculate the chance starting from there, as an example you would have about 50% chance of owning one SE unit when starting Crete.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Hi ThvN.

My mistake. I was talking about Allied Corps and meant the scenario involving the flanking attack on the Mareth line - I'd forgotten the actual scenario name. Apologies for being unclear. With no SE units and prestige disappearing too fast to make up the casualties, it was time to try again.

I'm having another run through on General, (still using version 1.14) and have just finished Crete. I'm slowly adapting my tactics to better suit available units, and am having more success this time, though an SE fighter would be welcome.
brettz123
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by brettz123 »

I felt Allied Corps was in some ways disappointing with no captured units. Some would have been nice. It was also a little odd to not get many SE units until the last year of the war. Without the ability to get experience they were almost useless.
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

AK Second Offensive Bonus units missing, but more prestige

Does anybody know, if there are certain objectives to fulfill in order to get the italian bonus units. I have played "Second Offensive" twice on FM with the same core (deploying a bit diffently), winning a DV each time. The first time I didn't receive any bonus units, but starting Gazala I had about 1000 more prestige than the second time, when I got the bonus units.

Strange or explainable?

Thanks in advance! :)

Partially solved!
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=36551&p=346742&hi ... ve#p343637
You will only get those units, if you capture El Agheila quick enough. So it seems, when you don't get the bonus units, you receive at least more prestige at the end of the scenario.
Last edited by fliegenderstaub on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
GSlapshot
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by GSlapshot »

I can understand the use of captured equipment by Germany which is what they did. Bonus units reflect the special experience gained by the heroes that are added to the GC's. on the Allied side about the only bonus units I could see are British desert units such as the Desert Rats or the 7 Armoured Division who gained extensive experience in Africa. Captured German equipment isn't that practical since you normally didn't capture enough equipment to form a unit from captured equipment. On the Allied side they did not move units around the theaters so the reward of heroes to units reflects the experience gained from combat. Most US units were not recognized as elite until late 1944. Finally I usually disband captured units for the prestige since the German units are better. There are pictures of Germany using captured but are there any of the allies using Italian or German equipment as a fighting units. Bottom line I like the flow and approach that Slitherine and Matrix games has developed and implemented.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

GSlapshot wrote:Captured German equipment isn't that practical since you normally didn't capture enough equipment to form a unit from captured equipment. ... There are pictures of Germany using captured but are there any of the allies using Italian or German equipment as a fighting units.
Actually there are a few instances of fairly large Allied formations using captured equipment, and they are even featured in the game: in Afrika Korps, you come across some captured Italian tanks, used by the Australians. These were mostly captured at Beda Fomm, so I had been expecting them to be featured in Allied Corps as well... And at that time the captured Italian tanks even briefly outnumbered the Commonwealth tanks! I already mentioned this during the beta test, I'll just quote myself. From https://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second ... elID=67903, chapter 11, page 276:
After Beda Fomm only twelve cruiser tanks and forty light tanks (comment: all British tanks) were in action. The 3rd Hussars were re-equipped with all the serviceable light tanks and the 6th Royal Tanks with Italian mediums; there were about sixty new Italian M13's with only a few hundred miles on their speedometers among those captured.
But the tanks are actually not that important; most captured equipment was in the form of transport units, artillery, anti-aircraft guns. For example, some info about the 20mm Breda light anti-aircraft gun:
In North Africa, the Commonwealth forces captured a large number of Breda Model 35s during Operation Compass, enabling the Australian 2/3 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, parts of the 4th Anti-Aircraft Brigade (which had a total of 42 Bredas in its Light Anti-Aircraft batteries during the Siege of Tobruk) and one battery of 106th (Lancashire Hussars) Regiment, RHA to be equipped with them.
Some more small articles by US wartime sources about the use of captured equipment:

Because they are schooled in the intracacies of enemy weapons, the personnel of Ordnance Intelligence Teams often have turned captured weapons against the enemy. Such was the case recently in France when Ordnance Intelligence men were able to "cannibalize" enough from captured German artillery pieces to equip U. S. artillerymen with 50 German 105-mm pieces. ... Over 25,000 German shells were fired back at the enemy with captured guns of this type during initial operations against the Siegfried Line.
http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/artil ... enemy.html

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/foreignweapons/

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt0 ... apons.html

Of course, during the initial desert campaign, equipment was scarce. But even later in the war, some use was made of captured units, but this was more piecemeal, as you imply. Like the Panther tank named 'Cuckoo' that was used in The Netherlands (captured at Overloon, it was actually used in battle).

Also, the Soviets incorporated a lot of captured equipment, and even repaired and refitted German vehicles for their own use, like the SU-76i:

http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/ww2/snippet/su76i.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captured_G ... tern_front
Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delta66 »

Playing with 1.21Beta

I think that in the OP first message, in GC west 42/43 Syracuse, a Fw 190A in (19,1) is missing.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

monkspider wrote:Dash to the Wire

Fort Maddalena 32,32 - Crusader Tank

Reward SE Units

Hanger 2 8,29 Panzer IIIJ/Tank

Hanger 4 15,31 Stug IIIB Artillery

Tobruk 15,4 BF109F Fighter
This is not entirely correct.

The info on the Crusader is okay, though it bears to remind you to not occupy 33,32 (where the tank appears) the same turn you take Fort Maddalena. The bit about the Reward SE units is slightly off, however.

First thing: there are two potential SE unit rewards, not three. Secondly; there is nothing to gain from taking Tobruk: you gain both SE units from the same achievement. Third, the Hangers does not have fixed positions.

I suggest:
Dash to the Wire

Fort Maddalena 32,32 - Crusader Tank (appears at 33, 32)

Taking out all three Hangers 1-3 - Reward SE Units (Panzer IIIJ/Tank & BF109F/Fighter)
Hanger 1 is at 10,24 or 12,25 or 13,26.
Hanger 2 is at 8,29 or 9,30 or 10,29.
Hanger 3 is at 19,26 or 18,28 or 20,29.
The hangars actually appear during turn 1-3, they do not start placed on the map!

Taking out Hanger 4 - Prize unit (Stug IIIB Artillery, a non-SE unit)
Hanger 4 is always placed at 15,31 but like the others does not start on the map. Hanger 4 has a 50% probability to appear each turn. This means aerial recon made immediately at scenario start could quite easily miss it (remember that there's a 3% chance the hanger 4 won't appear until turn #5, for instance)

Moving on...:
monkspider wrote:Gazala Line

Bir Beuid 36,35 - Grant Tank

Awarded 4,000 prestige points
For completeness, let's add the condition upon which the award is granted:
Gazala Line

Bir Beuid 36,35 - Grant Tank (appears at 37,35)

Awarded 4,000 prestige points - for taking and holding Bir Gubi airfield (45, 38) as well as fulfilling the Decisive Victory conditions
Vorskl
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Vorskl »

I did not get my promised KV in Voronezh (DLC East 42)
ceandersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ceandersen »

Vorskl wrote:I did not get my promised KV in Voronezh (DLC East 42)
you had free land around the Voronezh?
If you not have free space the unit does not appear.
IGOREUS1982
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by IGOREUS1982 »

Cassino
SE Bf 109 G fighter with hero (+4 attack, +4 defense, +3 initiative). This reward appears the turn after you get the convoy transport units into zone ‘C’. Note that it cannot be upgraded unless you use the ‘all eqp’ cheat.

How to do it, and what to click, to upgrade fighter?
huertgenwald
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by huertgenwald »

http://www.slitherine.com/screenshots/o ... 131268.jpg

Use the right most button in the middle row (two "up arrows").
The best time to do so is in the deployment Phase at the start of a map.
iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by iceFlame »

^^^ Nice screen. 8)
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469
ThorHa
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ThorHa »

Nice screen but no answer to the question :wink: The upgrade button is hardly the answer to the equipment cheat.

Regards,
Thorsten
huertgenwald

Post by huertgenwald »

ThorHa wrote:Nice screen but no answer to the question :wink: The upgrade button is hardly the answer to the equipment cheat.
Oh :oops: , yes: So: To get the cheat popup, press the button combination

(Ctrl) (Alt) (Shift) (C)

In the appearing popup window type (like mentioned above): all eqp , then "OK".

See: viewtopic.php?t=25990
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

IGOREUS1982 wrote:How to do it, and what to click, to upgrade fighter?
Hello Igoreus1982, the cheats for the PC version are explained here: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=25990.

Quick edit: for the iPad, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=25990&start=40#p460802

For the PC version, to upgrade the fighter, while deploying for a sceanario you can press 'Crtl + Alt + Shift + c' to open a small window. In this window you enter 'all eqp' (without quotation marks). This will unlock all units for purchase/upgrade. Now you can upgrade the SE Bf 109 with the normal upgrade button. After that, the cheat will stay active, you can open the cheat window again and enter the same 'all eqp' code to cancel it.
IGOREUS1982

Post by IGOREUS1982 »

ThvN THX, for help!
great very helpful, including change units SE
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

Darn it happened again. I always have to replay Salerno Counter Attack again because I forget that the last city on the map spawns the
1st M10 Wolverine ( a ) (Anti Tank) Agropoli 18,34]
I always forget you need to cheat the system by leaving one previous city free or the game ends immediately with a DV if it's the last city to be taken. Which usually happens because of it remote placement.
ZWC
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ZWC »

New here, Played PanzerGeneral in the early 90ties.
as oldie, I was very happy to get informed about this (remake) game.
Maybe I 'm not on topic...
But
in Afrika cam. in the 2nd battle "Ras el Mdauuar" I got a very welcom 1000 prestige bonus for destroying stronghold. Last turn in DV.
(most North one, but did roll up alomost all for xp gain with my 2 pioniere.) only 3 left in the south of the map.
So I hope this can be add. to the list.
or is there an other listing of bonus prestige somewhere else.?

Return to “Panzer Corps”