Panzer Corps manual update

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators, Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Panzer Corps manual update

Post by Rudankort » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello All!

We've got a chance to update the printed manual of Panzer Corps. Updated version includes some missing points from the original game, incorporates changes made in patches 1.01-1.12 and briefly mentions DLC and expansion handling. We wanted to check with you guys to make sure new manual is good. New version of game manual can be downloaded here (in MS Word format):
http://www.rudankort.me/PzC_PCManual_1.2.doc

We've made all changes with "Track Changes" mode turned on, so you can easily see what exactly has changed by using Review tab.

Any bug reports and suggestions how to improve the manual are welcome. The deadline for this is Sunday (20.01.2013), then the document will proceed to layout and print. Thanks in advance!

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Panzer Corps manual update

Post by bebro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you for the update.

I just skimmed through it. I'm not a native speaker, but those changes look good to me, esp. that special units (meng, beng, para) are explained incl. their specific advantages. Also good to include parts about ZOCs, Minfields and more.

One thing that might be unclear to new players is under 4.2.6. "Ammo" the line

"Note that units with [1] attack rating do not spend ammo when using such attack."

Does this refer to "passive" (bracketed) attack stats in general?

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:22 am

Nice update! I will try to proofread it in the next few days, but I have a question: how should any suggestions/bug reports be presented? Should they be posted in this thread or would you like something else?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 am

bebro wrote:One thing that might be unclear to new players is under 4.2.6. "Ammo" the line

"Note that units with [1] attack rating do not spend ammo when using such attack."

Does this refer to "passive" (bracketed) attack stats in general?
No, this rule is used only for [1] attack. Such weak passive attacks usually represent secondary weapons used for defense (like tank's MGs against attacking aircraft), and such a weapon does not use the same ammo as the main gun. Stronger passive attacks (like ground attacks of an AA unit) use the same gun and the same ammunition as the primary attack, and so they do spend ammo.
ThvN wrote:Nice update! I will try to proofread it in the next few days, but I have a question: how should any suggestions/bug reports be presented? Should they be posted in this thread or would you like something else?
That depends. If you want to report only a couple of issues, you can post them here. But if there will be many changes throughout the document, it is probably better to make them in the file directly. Just make sure "track changes" mode is on, so that I can see what was changed. This approach will be more convenient to you as well, because describing where each correction belongs is quite a tedious task.

Casaubon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Casaubon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am

will these or similar additional informations be added to the ingame manual / library too?

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

Casaubon wrote:will these or similar additional informations be added to the ingame manual / library too?
Digital manual shipped with the game will be updated too of course, in one of future patches. As for Library, no changes are planned there in relation to this manual update.

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 am

Well, I finally went through the proposed new manual and it looks very good, I only had a couple of typos and some minor suggestions to offer. Since I can't attach .doc files to my posts I put the revised file (revA) in a .zip.

Most things I have just put in as revisions, but there were a couple of small things I wasn’t sure about so I will just mention them separately here. I’m a bit tired right now from some other work (I had to compile some legal advice on short notice), so I’ll try to be brief, my apologies if I come across a little grumpy.

To keep consistency and prevent confusion among people reading the document I replaced some terms with the actual names as used in the game (e.g. Elite replacements instead of veteran replacements). For the same reason I also used the term ‘organic’ transport to describe a transport that is purchased as equipment for a unit, since you used that as the description for such transports. This is to prevent confusion with the Air/Sea/Rail transport types. Speaking of transports, should gliders be mentioned seperately from the air transports? I saw no mention of them, and they work slightly different from the described Air transports, but they only play a very minor role, so I left it as is.

For the rest I only have some minor observations about the formatting, which I didn’t touch BTW, I’d rather not mess with existing formatting in case I make it worse. These are not really text errors, but since I am a perfectionist I’ll mention them anyway:

Subparagraphs 4.1.10 to 4.1.20 and also 4.2.10 to 4.2.22 lack a space between the subparagraph number and the title, although the other paragraphs all have a space there.

In chapter 6 and 9, the spacing between the paragraph numbers and the titles seems to vary. And in chapter 9, maybe add an extra tab space between the hotkeys and the explanations, to make all the entries line up better.

Between 4.2.6 and 4.2.7, and again between 4.2.10 and 4.2.11, the vertical spacing seems larger when compared with the other subparagraphs. It might be that a blank line or uneven spacing has been inserted?

Somewhat noticable is that the indents are not completely consistent, and one oddity is that subparagraph 4.2.23 lacks an indent. Also, the text of several (sub)paragraphs is indented, although in the rest of the document only the subparagraph numbers seem to have indent, not the texts themselves.

The (sub)paragraphs texts with (erroneous?) indent are:
4.3.1 to 4.3.3
6.1, 6.2

Well, that’s about it, all small stuff, not much to worry about I think. It’s very good to see the extra explanations and clarifications added to the manual, might save some people from having to ask questions on the forum, leaving more time to play this very enjoyable game...
Attachments
PzC_PCManual_1.2revA.doc.zip
(37.88 KiB) Downloaded 8298 times

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Thomas! Thank you very much. I've looked through your corrections, and I agree with them all. They definitely help to make the document better.

I've also added a section about gliders. They are rare, but still, the manual should describe all features the player will encounter, so we better have them.

We don't need to worry about the formatting at this moment. If you look at the printed manual or pdf version shipped with the game (Manual/Manual.pdf in game's folder), you will see that its formatting is very different from Word version. New version of the manual will be layouted like that too, so its final look should be ok.

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Uhu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Dear Rudankort,

it's good to hear about the update!
By the way: when can we expect an updated scenario manual too? It would be very useful because there are the many new features (scripting, etc.) and the poor modder, map designer don't know how to use them. Testing them out or waiting for answers in the forum costs a lot of time and slows down the motivation when happens to oft.

Rudankort wrote:Hello All!

We've got a chance to update the printed manual of Panzer Corps. Updated version includes some missing points from the original game, incorporates changes made in patches 1.01-1.12 and briefly mentions DLC and expansion handling. We wanted to check with you guys to make sure new manual is good. New version of game manual can be downloaded here (in MS Word format):
http://www.rudankort.me/PzC_PCManual_1.2.doc

We've made all changes with "Track Changes" mode turned on, so you can easily see what exactly has changed by using Review tab.

Any bug reports and suggestions how to improve the manual are welcome. The deadline for this is Sunday (20.01.2013), then the document will proceed to layout and print. Thanks in advance!

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 am

Hello Rudankort,

thanks for the reply, you're welcome, I'm glad I could help sort out the updated manual.

bobthebike
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by bobthebike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi,

Confused about entrenchment, how is it achieved, I can't see a button for it. Is it done by just sitting in a hex without moving or firing. or is it just something for the scenario defender.

Many thanks

BoB

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Entrenchment increases automatically when the unit does not attack.

captainjack
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by captainjack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm

I''ve noticed some things that would be worth explaining in the manual. It''s possible that some of them relate to bugs, but I''m not an expert on game mechanics - so I''m assumingthat they''re legit things I didn'''t know about.

First: Rate of Fire for artillery and AA is about as important as ammo and striking power and should be mentioned in the manual. This would also need an extra entry in the purchse and upgrading screens.
Second: Planes attacking ground force (and probably naval). When my planes attack ground or naval forces, they are often heavily suppressed, yet I have never noticed this occurring on AI aircraft. I am assuming mine suffer from the big initiative difference creating effective suppression. Fnding my 13 strength FW190 has only had 6 attacks on a defenceless ground unit leaves me wondering what is going on, especially when I''ve never seen it happen for an AI air vs ground attack.. If it''s supposed to happen, a comment along the lines of "aircraft attacking ground and naval forces attack at reduced strength because of the high initiative difference"".
Third: I''ve had a few occasions where I have been hit by artillery even though there were no units able to spot my troops. This has included occasions where I have had had a three or four spotting unit able to see in clear conditions and there was nothing other than the artilley piece (with a spotting of 1) around.
Fourth: In some scenarios units have enhanced abilities - eg allied Naval units in West 44 Anzio appear to have a range of 6 or more. I don''t mind scenario-specific features to better reflect features of the historical event, but this should be noted at the openeing info screen (eg the battlefield is closer to the shore than most operations so you need to be prepared for naval attacks). The manual could then cover this with something like ""Occasionally some units will have extra range or ammunition for a particular scenario, watch out for the briefing screens."

Finally, not really a manual thing, but in the next update, please could you have the AI pause when I press Control L for an after action report? Something happens that I didn''t expect, I call up the combat report to learn whether it was luck or my fault and all the time there''s more combats taking place that I don''t even get to see, let alone check on.

kop101
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by kop101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:38 am

*edit* I made a "General Strategical and Tactical Notes" based on Panzer General guide with the most relevant information from there. Hope this rip off will be useful for some.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =409427179

Return to “Panzer Corps”