My guilty cheating pleasure

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Vaughn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

My guilty cheating pleasure

Post by Vaughn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:41 am

I just finished 44 West on FM and I was quite challenged. I had to accept MVs on a couple of the scenarios.

I've been debating whether to admit my guilty little cheating pleasure to the community or not. I decided I will.

I use 2 cheat codes, but the combination of those 2 has been a lot of fun for me. Through the West DLCs the combination of the "reform units" and the "core 2n" has made me happy. I still have the 2 conscript units given early in 42-43 DLC. I include them in every battle with the core 2n cheat. I don't feel they are actually worth taking a core slot.

I let killed units just sit in the reserve graveyard at 0 strength, but whenever the conscripts die (which is pretty much every 2-3 scenarios) I just buy them back. They gain back stars pretty quickly (assuming they live through the scenario). Their kill/loss ratio is almost even, hovering around 250 each. I have named them "Kenny 1" and "Kenny 2", after the South Park character that dies every episode and no one notices. I think it is hilarious.

I had this dream of gaining some super good heroes and making them the scariest conscripts ever, but that has not really happened like planned. At the end of 44 one has a movement hero and one has a defense +2 hero. They are not really badass other than taking a couple of hits, but keeping them around has been pretty fun. :mrgreen:

Vaughn

Re: My guilty cheating pleasure

Post by Vaughn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 am

I'm not really embarrassed about me using a couple of cheat codes, but I'm a little shy to admit what completely stupid stuff I'm using them for and how much I'm enjoying it.

Resolute
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Resolute » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 pm

As long as you're having fun and enjoying it, there is nothing wrong with it. Besides even "reform units" is classified as a cheat it is widely used by players. The game offers a lot of ways to tweak the difficulty, so just play the way you're getting the most fun out if it :)

Victor_K
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Victor_K » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:54 am

@ Vaughn, this actually tells us more about your personality than it does about cheating. Hopefully "Kenny 1" and "Kenny2" continue to bring you lots of enjoyment :)

robman
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by robman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Maybe you could get one of the camo skinners to give them little red shirts!

Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm

I think that actually sounds like a fun idea. I wanted to play with the conscripts to learn how to use them. But they just didn't warrant a core slot. I'll copy that idea some time!

Vaughn

Post by Vaughn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:00 am

Red shirts! I love that idea. A little comic relief within a serious game.

shadowx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by shadowx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:41 am

i always use cheat codes. i use prestige when im low and need some and i use str and ammo when my units are low. also i turn off weather when my planes cant attack and ent if i feel they need it when the ai is on the offensive. i save after every turn so if i lose a unit i cant restart the turn and max his str or entrenchment to keep him alive. it works for me and i enjoy playing this way. dont think the ai is going to complain much. :lol: so if you like useing cheats then in my opinion go for it.

Vaughn

Post by Vaughn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 am

When I was learning Panzer General I played through the game several times with weather, supply, and fog of war off. I finally got a good feeling of the game and figured out what I could do and what my opponent could do. I did the same with Pacific General when it was released.

By the time Panzer Corps was released, I knew the game really well. I don't need cheats to help me win anymore. I just use some of them to entertain myself. I've never had conscripts before, and the idea of keeping these weak-ass units alive long enough to turn them into amazing killing machines entertains me.

Kamerer

Post by Kamerer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I totally agree that cheat codes can be amusing. I have played enough and learned the rules that it doesn't matter - I can get to GCE45 on Rommel and still have near 30,000 prestige. But i love using cheat codes *all eqp* to update my early-war KV 1b and such to KV-85s. I only do it when I capture a low exp Klement Voroshilov and thus have a hull I can arguably justify upgrading a 1b or 1c into. I'll happily take a FW-190 all the way to Berlin and leave prestige on the table, but I like being able to upgrade my high experience KV's into 85's.

Honestly I think the game has the KV-85 over rated, but I like taking advantage of that to have variety late-war.

dumbttt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dumbttt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I often use "all eqps" to see what equipment will become available later to decide whether to hold off upgrading.

I also turn off fog of war when I have clearly won the battle to see what enemies remain.

Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

May I ask if "reform units" must be done for every scenario or only once in the beginning? Because I really would like this.

Vaughn

Post by Vaughn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 pm

The reform units cheat must be done once per scenario.

This may disturb some of the more advanced players. I really only wanted to keep the conscripts alive and kicking. When I disbanded my reserve list of 0 strength units I discovered that I got prestige for disbanding those 0 strength units. That is a lot of undeserved prestige. I do not know if the developers intended this.

Longasc

Post by Longasc » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm

The reform cheat could use some work yeah. Should become a feature. I think loss of all XP and an extra cost to reform would be okay. Disbanded SE units should not give Prestige either.

robman

Post by robman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Vaughn wrote:The reform units cheat must be done once per scenario.

This may disturb some of the more advanced players. I really only wanted to keep the conscripts alive and kicking. When I disbanded my reserve list of 0 strength units I discovered that I got prestige for disbanding those 0 strength units. That is a lot of undeserved prestige. I do not know if the developers intended this.
The workaround is to revive the reformed unit first, and then disband it. That way, you break even. If you're short on prestige, revive the units that are slated to be disbanded before you see to your other units.

Return to “Panzer Corps”