Suggestions for game improvement in the future.

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Pegon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Suggestions for game improvement in the future.

Post by Pegon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi guys, first post from a long time player of PG and PC.

First of all i have some ideas about the economy of the game.

Currently there is a cap in number of units and prestige. This usually has the result that i end up with quite a few Tigers, mounted infantry and large mobile artillery. While it is fun to smash trough everything with Tigers, i find it more fun to fight cheap and smart.

Therefore i suggest a new element added to the game, a supply pool.

In reality, the Tiger was a frightening opponent, but the backside was that it consumed a large amount of supplies to stay operational. So if there is a supply pool max limit, it is possible to reduce the number of heavy hitters to a more correct number. For intance, if i can choose to have 2 PzIV for every Tiger do i go for the Tiger ?
For infantry, the same thing, if i go for trucks, it is cheaper than going for the mek infantry solution (at the same time i suggest the attack/def values of mek inf is the same for mounted/unmounted attack, but that the hard/soft value changes)
Now, on to the gold nugget, Horses !
In ww2, a large number of hoses were still used. Anti tank guns, artillery, air defence units, up to a certain size, were often pulled by horses. They were not fast, but it enabled them to keep up with infantry on foot. The advantage you get from this is that horses does not draw from the supply pool. This will increase the value of the some of the units you never buy, thus giving a greater variation in planning and gameplay.Of course, this requires a higher cap for total number of units.

So, my vision for all this;

If i decide on two lines of attack, i can have one pool of units destined for striking dep and fast at the enemy. Here i chose to use mek infantry, self propelled artillery, tanks, and mobile AD. On the other hand i have regular infantry, horse drawn AT guns, AD and artillery. While still having the strike power to get their objectives, they have less mobility thus cannot reach the far away targets by the time the scenario ends.

Sounds fun ?

So, on to my final suggestion. I read on the forum here that a British campaign is likely in the future of this game. I support this, and ask that you add something that i want to se. Being Norwegian, i look for the ability to buy for intance, a Fokker fighter in the Norwegian scenario. you must give me the opportunity to keep it, an uppgrade it in the British tec tree, WHILE STILL CARRYING NORWEGIAN FLAG !

While this sonds nationalistic, this possibility must be added to all the nations that play a part in the campaign. I think that the Dutch, Belgians, French players etc, will approve !

Best.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: Suggestions for game improvement in the future.

Post by Rudankort » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Pegon! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for feedback.

About this:
Pegon wrote:

In reality, the Tiger was a frightening opponent, but the backside was that it consumed a large amount of supplies to stay operational. So if there is a supply pool max limit, it is possible to reduce the number of heavy hitters to a more correct number. For intance, if i can choose to have 2 PzIV for every Tiger do i go for the Tiger ?
I agree with the general premise of your suggestion, but there is problem. If we look at your example, in late scenarios PzIV will take casualties all the time. When fighting T-34-85s and IS-2s, for example, you may need to replace them several times in a single scenario. And since replacements are not free, Tiger will save you a pile of money. In this situation Tiger is the only viable solution. If we force the player to use PzIVs instead, using supply pool or some other form of limitation, this can be a really frustrating experience.
Pegon wrote:
So, on to my final suggestion. I read on the forum here that a British campaign is likely in the future of this game. I support this, and ask that you add something that i want to se. Being Norwegian, i look for the ability to buy for intance, a Fokker fighter in the Norwegian scenario. you must give me the opportunity to keep it, an uppgrade it in the British tec tree, WHILE STILL CARRYING NORWEGIAN FLAG !

While this sonds nationalistic, this possibility must be added to all the nations that play a part in the campaign. I think that the Dutch, Belgians, French players etc, will approve !
Yes, I can see how some people may like it.

Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Zhivago » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:53 pm

I'd like to see a Spanish Revolution 1936/Condor Legion DLC containing a group of scenarios. I would also like to see a what-if 1946 scenario with German weaponry that was in development, but not finished by the end of WW2. Perhaps even an outbreak of war between the Brits and American forces v. the Russians. That would be a nice last scenario for the German Panzer Corps game, IMO.

KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Operation Unthinkable huh? ^^

Pegon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Pegon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Rudankort wrote:Hi Pegon! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for feedback.

About this:
Pegon wrote:

I agree with the general premise of your suggestion, but there is problem. If we look at your example, in late scenarios PzIV will take casualties all the time. When fighting T-34-85s and IS-2s, for example, you may need to replace them several times in a single scenario. And since replacements are not free, Tiger will save you a pile of money. In this situation Tiger is the only viable solution. If we force the player to use PzIVs instead, using supply pool or some other form of limitation, this can be a really frustrating experience.
Pegon wrote:

Hi, and thanks for the reply,

Perhaps my example with the tiger was poorly worded. Let me try another. lets say you are on the eastern front sometime in 1944. You have the large part of your units consisting of slow moving infantry, artillery, AT guns, etc. Your right flank is protected by a large river. Your left flank must be protected against fast moving soviet units. Your objective is to perform an orderly withdrawal of your army to reform a new defensive line further back. On the way there you have 3 river crossings. You have 3 tanks. 1 tiger, 1 panther and a pz.IV. All are strenght/exp 13 with heroes. While it is true that the pz.IV can not stand against the soviets in the open, it can still form a rear guard for the retreating army if you place it adjacent to the crossings, where it can only be attacked by one unit, and on favorable terms. You can also use it to deliver the final blow to a soviet unit that has been damaged by the tiger or panther. Of corse you must make sure it is shielded by the stronger units after the attack. The tiger and panther, you of course place out in the open where they are used to shield the left flank.

Now, my initial example made sense if the timeframe was mid 42 to mid 43, but this can be solved by adding more points to the transport pool as the war progresses.

The reality of the war on the eastern front was that a large part of the german army was limited in mobility against the soviet spearheads, thus running out of time to respond before they were crushed. Currently, the game gives you credits to buy the best of all equipment and gives the soviets a hailstorm of tanks to wear you down.

A more appropriate way to simulate the war on the eastern front is to have a large part of the german army as slow moving units, against a superior but not ridiculous number of mobile soviet units.

unfortunately, this is something that cannot be done without rethinking the whole game. One of the best maps in the PG game was the large one in the desert where the main target was Torbruk. There you had to park your artillery and slow units outside Torbruk, while at the same time your fast units had to rush trough the desert to get at the targets further away before time ran out. Therefore you had to plan with mobility in mind from the outset instead of rushing against all targets in a similar manner, with similar units.

So, if you carefully design the maps in a way that distance combined with a transport pool is part of the challenge, i think the game will be greatly improved.

In short. Yes you can still have plenty tigers, but can you have mobile artillery, mech infantry, mobile AD at the same time ?

Best.

Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Rudankort wrote:
Pegon wrote:

That would be awesome to have Free Polish, Norwegian, Belgium, French etc. units in my core.

Just as a side note. If you start working on a Russian grand campaign please consider to start the with the battle of Khalkhin Gol instead the Winter War as in previous PG games.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Another suggestion: It is too difficult to defend bridge hexes with a -4 river penalty, e.g. in GC39-Piatek. You always have to sit behind those hexes to prevent heavy losses.
I’d like to see this penalty removed from river tiles with bridges what also helps the AI to defend them.

Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Horst wrote:Another suggestion: It is too difficult to defend bridge hexes with a -4 river penalty, e.g. in GC39-Piatek. You always have to sit behind those hexes to prevent heavy losses.
I’d like to see this penalty removed from river tiles with bridges what also helps the AI to defend them.
I would propose to move the VC hexes to either side of the bridge or even have one on each side. After all who is so stupid to sit in the middle of the bridge in RL combat situation?

Vaughn
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Vaughn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm very happy with the game. I have only one suggestion and I'm not sure if it has been made before or not.

I would love a save button in between scenarios. Sometime during the briefing would be cool.

The addition of a naval core in the future would be pretty cool too.

KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Naval core currently doesn't make much sense. It might though in a later campaign on the pacific theater. but honestly I think that's better for a followup game since that would require an overhaul of the entire naval combat system as well I think. especially as soon as carriers play a bigger role.

piotrekxg
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by piotrekxg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Pegon wrote: So, on to my final suggestion. I read on the forum here that a British campaign is likely in the future of this game. I support this, and ask that you add something that i want to se. Being Norwegian, i look for the ability to buy for intance, a Fokker fighter in the Norwegian scenario. you must give me the opportunity to keep it, an uppgrade it in the British tec tree, WHILE STILL CARRYING NORWEGIAN FLAG !

Yes please don't forget about free Poles who played some role in Norway, France North Africa, Italy and battle of England (famous 303 squadron with the highest number of kills with smallest number of own losses ;)

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 am

Don't forget the free Polish Squadrons that flew British planes and those Poles that fought at D Day and went all they way to Berlin.

The Polish people never gave up.

Return to “Panzer Corps”