The Snowball Effect and Possible Solutions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Uhu
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: The Snowball Effect and Possible Solutions

Post by Uhu » Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Tarrak wrote: Vanilla campaign needs multiple replays for DV because of the, in my opinion pointless and annoying, race against the clock...
There are many defending scenarios where you fight not against the clock. Maybe these are the most enjoyable scenarios in vanilla. Also if you think about you have clock-limits in the DLCs too. The only difference is that there are not so harsh consequences if you didn't made a DV. By the way it was always the landmark of the Panzer General games too that the clock was ticking...

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Sun May 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Tarrak wrote:Hmm i think you are confusing experienced with skilled. :P I am quite experienced at the game but i am afraid i am not good enough.
You are really kind but I don't know if it is true for me. :) What I know that I have patience and I like when I have to replay several times a scenario until I get finally a DV. Replay value=high. :)

I like this game, I think the developers made a really good job with the engine, with the widely moddable content and with the vanilla campaign. Still I think 5+1 levels enables to set difficulty to not so talented/experienced and also for hardcore players (as it already could be done in the vanilla and it could be done in many mod-campaigns too!!). If I had known that the GCs will be so easy I wouldn't buy them. If the vanilla campaign would have so easy I didn't would give it a 95%. So my opinion is still that this is a game design issue and that the GCs weren't properly tested in this direction.
Sure I can mod this but:
1., I shouldn't do this. I already bought it I should not have additional work with it.
2., After I played several years through when I realise that it is still very easy it wouldn't bring fun to begin the full GC from the beginning and experiment what change could bring the needed challenge...

Naxor
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Naxor » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 am

How about rarity %? For example in year 1942 price for the tiger tank is 500pp and rarity % is 100%. That increases the the prize to 1000pp if player wants to buy it early. After 1942 lets say rarity is 50% and price is now more affordable 750 and so on. Like was done in combat mission 2.

Uhu

Post by Uhu » Wed May 22, 2013 11:05 am

Yes, this was a very good solution!
Naxor wrote:How about rarity %? For example in year 1942 price of the tiger tank is 500pp and rarity % is 100%. That increases the the prize to 1000pp if player wants to buy it early. After 1942 lets say rarity is 50% and price is now more affordable 750 and so on. Like was done in combat mission 2.

Kirby
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Kirby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 am

Thread resurrection FTW.
The only way to retroactively affect all PzC versions is indeed Rudankort's prestige soft cap.

For a future Panzer Corps I suggest taking into consideration a new, separate "Research" currency that could work along "Prestige". It's historically correct. After defeating enemy vehicles, these were usually "sent to base" for evaluation, testing and changing your production to match these.

This new Research currency could be spent for "early availability" of prototype models of brand new unit types (say an early Tiger) or "prototype upgrades" of existing units (say, an earlier than usual Panzer IV F upgrade). Disbanding captured enemy units could also provide both prestige and a limited amount of Research points.

Full scale availability should be also historically correct, either having unlimited access to "terrible early models" like Panthers and Tigers at Kursk, or unlimited availability should be delayed by a few months (when the issues are ironed out).

Furthermore, if any future PzC are going to have fictional scenarios (USA etc.), there should be even better upgrades available, even if these are fictional, for example, Panther II or Tiger III tanks (with better engines), since I presume the German war machine would have enough time and resources to prepare these units for landing at Washington.

Return to “Panzer Corps”