Grand Campaign West / End of the Elbe - Bug

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Resolute
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Grand Campaign West / End of the Elbe - Bug

Post by Resolute »

Got a decisive victory but the game just ended. Is that a known bug and/or anyone else with the same issue? The briefing is the same like after a loss which was odd too.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Grand Campaign West / End of the Elbe - Bug

Post by Kerensky »

No bug here, this is how the historical branch must end... as it is the historical ending to the campaign. Winning at End on the Elbe is winning a battle and losing the war, it ultimately makes no difference.

That said, however, to get a more of a proper 'ending' you should aim to explore the alternate ending to 1945 West. After Bastogne, continue your offensive towards Antwerp. If successful, you should see quite a twist on the end of the Grand Campaign!
Resolute

Post by Resolute »

Ah ok, thanks for the answer. I was almost expecting that but got slightly confused when I checked the list of scenarios and noticed a few were missing. Well, at least I won't get bored over the weekend ;)
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

The upcoming 1945 West Campaign Tree will help a lot to understand the campaign layout, but in the meantime, yes the campaign branch you are looking for is after Bastogne Assault, the option to "Advance on Antwerp, victory or death!"
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Here we go, the art has been revealed, so you can see exactly how this campaign is laid out! :D

George_Parr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by George_Parr »

Not sure where to put this. This seemed to be the most fitting option.

After finishing the winning-path I decided to play the other path as well. Everything worked fine until 'The End on the Elbe'. Close to the end I get a report that I lost even though there is no reason for it. I hold every single river-crossing, and every VP as well. Not a single unit managed to cross the river at any time. The closest two Russian and American units have come is four fields apart. Obviously there is no way to win that campaign-path, and the end report should reflect that, but I don't think that I should get a loss after round 19 or 21 out of 22 when none of the criterias for a loss are met.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Hello George_Parr, welcome to the forums. It's a strange scenario, but the Victory conditions seem to work OK, it's just that it's not always obvious what event 'triggers' a certain outcome.

I've checked the scenario again with the editor, and the 'zones' that need to be kept free of Allied forces are, at their widest, 5 hexes across. Since you mention that they've managed to come four fields apart, they could have been close enough to trigger the Loss. I've made a composite screenshot of those zones around the three objectives, so you can check for yourself. I hope this helps?
Attachments
GC45W_EndElbe_zones.jpg
GC45W_EndElbe_zones.jpg (265.88 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
netbuster21
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by netbuster21 »

This seems not to be obvious due to the target descreption. But why it is a loss if they link together? It should be a Minor victory for holding at least 6 v hexes!?
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

netbuster21 wrote:This seems not to be obvious due to the target descreption
netbuster21 wrote:It should be a Minor victory for holding at least 6 v hexes
I remember this scenario; I had the same problem - mission description was a bit cryptic. At first I thought that you only need to hold the initial objectives. (River crossings)
Then I got a sudden "loss" and thought It was some bug. Target zones should be marked in scenario like in the post by ThvN.
Make love, not war.
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Another bug i remember from this scenario is it possible (spoiler alert...) to hold Cologne with just one 5 star Panther with arty backup. 25+ ai units pile up in front of me but no kamikaze-all out-historical attack...
Played it a year ago so may be wrong with city...
ptje63

Post by ptje63 »

Reading my reply again I know this may not be considered as a true "bug" but maybe a flaw?
netbuster21

Post by netbuster21 »

Cologne is an other scenario. This is the Ruhrkessel scenario. Yes, it was quite easy. I put two Pioneers behind the fort and backend them up with heavy artillery. Tanks in a City hex is not so good, even for the attacker.

Regards
AMDonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AMDonline »

why the devs didn't fix the victory hexes issue, i have only managed to get a decisive win after reading ThvN post
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

Glad I found this because it was not clear in the briefing of the scenario.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Anyone know what the exact DV conditions are? I just played it and kept the Americans miles away from the hexes shown above, but still could only get a MV. The Russians got into a couple of the hexes but nothing major. Do you have to also control all the victory objective cities?
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

proline wrote:Anyone know what the exact DV conditions are? I just played it and kept the Americans miles away from the hexes shown above, but still could only get a MV. The Russians got into a couple of the hexes but nothing major. Do you have to also control all the victory objective cities?
Yes, you need to control all the objectives with the slight caveat that instead no allied flags can be in the objectives. Not sure what the point of that distinction is but a neutralized one will count in your favor.

Return to “Panzer Corps”