Allies, who you going to play first?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Anfield
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Allies, who you going to play first?

Post by Anfield »

So with less than 48 hours to go till the release of Allied Corps, was wondering what side you all are going to start off commanding? Now it seems you can add units as the game goes from what ive read but will need to pick a starting point. So you going to start play as the Americans or British troops first time around?

Think I will be going British first, since ive just played a MOD campaign as the Americans for the last few months.
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Allies, who you going to play first?

Post by KeldorKatarn »

British. There's so much stuff around where you play as the Americans, I'm a bit sick of it (sorry Yanks). Also because I hope to find more Commonwealth troops in there. The "minor" nations are usually very neglected, despite the fact that the commonwealth nations contributed a lot. The American contribution in the west is usually a bit overstated while the rest is neglected, so I'm going for the British because they deserve the spotlight a little more at first :) But I'm sure going to try the Americans right after. What's Bastogne without the 101st Airborne ;) (And I guess the Battle of the Bulge will be somehow in there)
But first I'll try to kick some German ass with crappy Churchills ;)
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Speaking as a beta-tester, I personally recommend starting with the 1940 British campaign for your first playthrough. There is a LONG campaign against the Italians before the Germans get involved that is a lot of fun. Once you get to a certain point in the campaign, you will be able to add American units to your core as well.
Schneides42
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Schneides42 »

Definitely the British, the 1940 British campaign that monkspider refers to sounds good. I am also hoping to be able to add Australians and Canadians (and perhaps the odd Kiwi) to my core!

Cheers

Craig
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Schneides42 wrote:Definitely the British, the 1940 British campaign that monkspider refers to sounds good. I am also hoping to be able to add Australians and Canadians (and perhaps the odd Kiwi) to my core!

Cheers

Craig
Same
Victor_K
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Victor_K »

Yeah, the Brits could be a lot of fun to play.
umimatsu
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by umimatsu »

The Russians. If they are not implemented, the name ALLIED Corps is b.....t.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

We have a separate Soviet Corps game still on the planning, The Russians in our eyes deserve their own chapter within the Panzer Corps family, but current Allied is about War on the Western Front, as it is clearly stated in the game descriptions, in the shops, on the websites and in all announcements.

And please, mind your language we like to keep up the level of decency on our forums.
umimatsu

Post by umimatsu »

lordzimoa wrote:We have a separate Soviet Corps game still in the planning, but current Allied is about War on the Western Front, as it is clearly stated in the game descriptions, in the shops, on the websites and in all announcements.
I didn't read the game descriptions, i buy your games blindly, because of the quality. Hope the Soviet campaign will come soon, it's a pity, that it will be last.
Loki1942
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Loki1942 »

Will of course start from the beginning, so 1940 it is. Will try to have a balanced British/American force eventually, with a larger American presence as time goes by.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Soviet Corps is, to me at least, a logic last episode on the current engine and series and to be frank after Allied it itches to start soon, but we have so much work, but let us do one step a time. Today Allied Corps is the star, you will enjoy it for sure, and The Russians will get their proper attention in the future.
Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Muddy »

I'm going to play the Germans and crush this immoral and unfair invasion.
umimatsu

Post by umimatsu »

lordzimoa wrote:Soviet Corps is, to me at least, a logic last episode on the current engine and series and to be frank after Allied it itches to start soon, but we have so much work, but let us do one step a time. Today Allied Corps is the star, you will enjoy it for sure, and The Russians will get their proper attention in the future.
I can live with this statement. :D
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

umimatsu wrote: it's a pity, that it will be last.
That actually was the decision of the community. The devs did a poll here and the players voted for "Western Allies first".
The main reasoning was that after so much eastern front in the grand campaign everybody was a bit sick of the theater and wanted something fresh and keep the Soviet campaign for later.
Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Zhivago »

lordzimoa wrote:Soviet Corps is, to me at least, a logic last episode on the current engine and series and to be frank after Allied it itches to start soon, but we have so much work, but let us do one step a time. Today Allied Corps is the star, you will enjoy it for sure, and The Russians will get their proper attention in the future.
Will there be a DLC treatment for Allied Corps West?
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Anfield wrote:So with less than 48 hours to go till the release of Allied Corps, was wondering what side you all are going to start off commanding? Now it seems you can add units as the game goes from what ive read but will need to pick a starting point. So you going to start play as the Americans or British troops first time around?

Think I will be going British first, since ive just played a MOD campaign as the Americans for the last few months.
As a beta tester, I found that just like Panzer Corps, Allied Corps works to the player's advantage if you start from the beginning, which is 1940 in Africa--Italians v. UK. You gradually build up your weapons and experience and then the Americans tie in down the road and you can purchase their equipment. It takes some time to get to know the Allied equipment, and what works best in the various scenarios. However, just like Panzer Corps, you can start a campaign later in the war with a pre-fab core.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Loki1942 wrote:Will of course start from the beginning, so 1940 it is. Will try to have a balanced British/American force eventually, with a larger American presence as time goes by.
That can be tricky. Once you get to the time the Americans come into the game, you already have some pretty seasoned UK forces. I believe in Tunisia you can add about six or seven units to your core, and that is when I fill up on American equipment. Unfortunately, as you will discover, the Allied armor blows chunks for most of the game. I found myself going from Matilda II's to Churchill IV's to Crocodiles and Sherman Fireflies when using British equipment. On the USA side, the Sherman tanks (in my opinion) are a waste of space. However, the US forces have some good anti-tank weaponry in the M-10, the M-18 Hellcat, and the M-38 Jackson. Some of the US artillery is also excellent. The US Ranger units are pretty awesome, and I enjoy using them too, as well as the US strategic bombers.

The tactical bombers for the US are all pretty weak. The best tactical bomber is the UK Mosquito. I would have liked to have seen a tactical bomber role for the US P-47, as it had in the original Panzer General, but in this game it is the premier American fighter, even ahead of the P51 Mustang. The British get the Meteor jet fighter right around D-day, and that is the apex of Allied fighter units. Again, because of the late entry into the war, in my opinion there are simply not enough scenarios (and time) to gain huge amounts of experience or heroes for US forces. As such, I always found that my cores were 75% UK, 25% US generally speaking.
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Well the American forces should be a little "green" in comparison. After all the war entry was late and the main combat in european mainland started fro them at a time when british and german and other involved nations had been fighting for years already. So it would be unrealistic for US troops to reach 5 stars with ease when it took the German forces they face 4 years of eastern front to get to that level of experience. So having a little esperience malus compared to British or the opposed germans and italians is something that should be part of such a campaign I think.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Glad to read that it is still not the end of PzC 1!
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

It's D-Day, gogo!

*throws forumites out of the door of the C-47*

Damn I hope you already had a parachute!

Return to “Panzer Corps”